Help please. Everything is different.

Paulines7

15 minutes ago, Allan Guest said:

Hi Pauline, I assume you mean an electric flush and the water for that goes in the same place as the 'rinse' via the 'outside flap'.

You will know when its full as it will overflow!

Far from all electrically flushed toilets in our van's use a separate tank or separate pump, some as both ours latter vans have it from the main water system.

If there is a small hatch housing a water filler some foot or so above the cassette access flap, then the system has a dedicated toilet flush tank.

If in the cassette housing there is a turn out funnel, again that toilet has a dedicated flush water tank.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most vans with toilets that don't use a built in cistern tank have a fresh water tank onboard. This is to ensure that you actually have some flush water available when required. Those that have toilets fed direct from an exterior container (Aquaroll) are few and far between. Most UK built vans have toilets with a built in cistern that's entirely separate from the fresh water supply and uses a separate pump. That cistern needs regular filling with water and, if you must, an additive. Over time such additives can coat the inside of the cistern and pump etc, leading to bits peeling away and appearing in the flush water. There have also been cases where the black gunge causes pump failure. If you must have pleasant smelling toilet bowls then a dilute spray of the same pink stuff around the bowl after use, plus pure unadulterated water in the cistern will avoid black bits.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thank you everyone with all your suggestions. 

Now for the bit of bad news.  We have the pigtail on securely and have turned the regulator on.  We have the ehu in  and turned the switches on just inside the door.  The lights all work so we know nothing is wrong with the electricity supply.  We tried to get the hob to work but it wouldn't light.   

I think I know why but I am not 100% certain.  I think the caravan should be level for the gas to work.  The reason I think this is that we had problems with the gas not working on our Lunar fridge once and it was because the caravan was not level at the time.   When I brought the Bailey home,  we parked it on some grass on a slope by our house.  We didn't level it as we intended putting it in a different place the following day, but we haven't got round to moving it yet.  I think the only way I will find out is if I move it or level it up.  What do you think?  

No sensible level anywhere near "level" will make a blind bit of difference to this issue.

Are the gas shut off valves, set open.

These will be found somewhere within the pipework system, typically ours have been in the kitchen unit.

Somebody out there will have or had a 2010 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and be able to give the shut off valve manifold's location.

Edited by JTQ

2 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

Now for the bit of bad news.  We have the pigtail on securely and have turned the regulator on.  We have the ehu in  and turned the switches on just inside the door.  The lights all work so we know nothing is wrong with the electricity supply.  We tried to get the hob to work but it wouldn't light. 

The internal lights are probably 12v, so working from your battery (you may have some mains voltage lights as well). 
Find the main fuse board, and locate the “test” button on the RCD. when you press it in, the RCD should trip off. If it doesn’t you don’t have mains supply. If it trips, reset it and make sure the MCB’s are turned on (up)

The fridge is fairly sensitive to level, but the hob won’t be bothered. 
As JTQ said, locate the gas isolation taps and check they are set to on. These are usually located near the cooker, check below cooker and adjacent cupboards, near floor level. 

It's a common misunderstanding about fridges. Some will not work if they are not near level, but it matters not what sort of energy source is being used.  In other words if gas is lit , but the fridge is at an angle it will not chill. But it will not stop the fridge burner from lighting. More readily seen is whether the hob burners light. If they do then there's no reason for the fridge not to light.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

7 hours ago, JTQ said:

Far from all electrically flushed toilets in our van's use a separate tank or separate pump, some as both ours latter vans have it from the main water system.

But the OP stated it was a Bailey which, so far as I am aware, will have a dedicated flush water tank accessed via the flap mentioned.

4 hours ago, Allan Guest said:

But the OP stated it was a Bailey which, so far as I am aware, will have a dedicated flush water tank accessed via the flap mentioned.

Allan, it does have a flap on the outside and we were told it was where the pink liquid went.  It wasn't until we got the caravan  home three days later that we weren't sure if the water went in there as well or if it came from the main barrel and then mixed with the pink.

9 hours ago, JTQ said:

No sensible level anywhere near "level" will make a blind bit of difference to this issue.

Are the gas shut off valves, set open.

These will be found somewhere within the pipework system, typically ours have been in the kitchen unit.

Somebody out there will have or had a 2010 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and be able to give the shut off valve manifold's location.

Thank you for your replies, JTQ, Lost in the Wilderness and Streamdrivenandy.   We didn't know that there were shut off valves!  The only way we could turn the gas off in our old caravan was at the bottle.  I will have a look for them tomorrow.  

19 minutes ago, Paulines7 said:

Allan, it does have a flap on the outside and we were told it was where the pink liquid went.  It wasn't until we got the caravan  home three days later that we weren't sure if the water went in there as well or if it came from the main barrel and then mixed with the pink.

Hi, Fortunately testing the flush is much easier , and far less hazardous, than the gas system!

Just put in a small amount of water,  in the flap opening, and try it.

Pauline : are you trying to ignite the hob rings with the cooker's igniter or are you using matches.

Can you actually smell gas when you turn one of the hob rings on ?

1 hour ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

Pauline : are you trying to ignite the hob rings with the cooker's igniter or are you using matches.

Can you actually smell gas when you turn one of the hob rings on ?

Cheltenham Caravanner, I was using the cooker's igniter.  I couldn't smell any gas at all.   I am now back from a dental appointment so will now go and look in the caravan to search for shut off valves.  

Found the gas valves and they were all on, but we turned them off and tried it just in case we had read them incorrectly on the diagram.  This time I tried lighting the gas and still nothing.  No smell of gas inside the van or in the locker.  I am wondering if we were sold an empty or faulty container instead of a full one. The man that served us though is the one that has always served us for years when we have exchanged cylinders so he should be able to differentiate between an empty and a full cylinder.

We are going to move the caravan now, get it level and try the gas again.  If it still doesn't work we will take the bottle back to the retailer and see what he says.

Not scientific, but telling, does the bottle when removed "slosh" when it is shaken?  Cradle it towards the horizontal.

More scientific, weight it and compare its weight to the "Tare" value stamped on the aluminium collar, Note here the weight will be in lbs and ounces.  [yes, it can only be done to be awkward now 45 years into metrification within the UK's petroleum industry!!!]

Then there is a whole history of problems with GOK/Truma bulkhead regulators blocking, that could be the case again here from the symptoms described.

Suggesting a safe, ready, DIY way of checking for that presents a bit of a problem for me at this moment.

edit: putting up a photo of your regulator should allow us to see it is at least a candidate, for that issue.

Edited by JTQ

What a job moving the caravan!   it was so wet and the front wheel made a big rut in the wet grass.  I kept having to put boards under the front wheel to stop it sinking in.   Once it was back where I wanted it I realised that the football match had started and I didn't have time to put the steadies down and try the gas again. 

7 hours ago, JTQ said:

Not scientific, but telling, does the bottle when removed "slosh" when it is shaken?  Cradle it towards the horizontal.

More scientific, weight it and compare its weight to the "Tare" value stamped on the aluminium collar, Note here the weight will be in lbs and ounces.  [yes, it can only be done to be awkward now 45 years into metrification within the UK's petroleum industry!!!]

Then there is a whole history of problems with GOK/Truma bulkhead regulators blocking, that could be the case again here from the symptoms described.

Suggesting a safe, ready, DIY way of checking for that presents a bit of a problem for me at this moment.

edit: putting up a photo of your regulator should allow us to see it is at least a candidate, for that issue.

JTQ,  I will put the steadies down tomorrow and try and light the hob again.    If no joy I will take a photo of the regulator to post on here.  Then with my bathroom scales outside,  I will disconnect the bottle, weigh myself with it and then without it, so I can assess how much gas there is.  

If no joy and the bottle is full, I may order a propane pigtail and then put the red bottle on from our old Lunar.   We prefer propane anyway and it is a lightweight bottle.

If everything fails, I will have to call out a service engineer!

Pauline has been given a lot of helpful advice, but I'm rather surprised that as far as I can tell, no one has actually suggested looking at the Bailey website !!

A very quick search shows that they have an archive of owners handbooks going back over several years. The 2010 Pageant isn't covered but there is a 2010 handbook available for Pegasus which won't be that much different and will obviously cover most of the issues raised in previous postings. Otherwise give them a call and see if they can email or post a copy to you.

Click Here for link to Bailey Handbooks

I am just a little curious about your statement “Turned the regulator  on”

Is it like this one? Or do you just have a hose coming from the clip that you posted a picture of earlier?

image.jpeg.98b138a064b6ac780f926811921d2cca.jpeg

These Regulators don’t have on/off switches. If you are referring to the black control lever on the side of the clip that sits on top of your gas cylinder then that needs to  be at 180°  to the position it is when it is not on the cylinder. That however isn’t your regulator. 

Where is your regulator? Is it like the one below and mounted on the gas locker wall?  That yellow lever isn’t an on/off control, it’s used when testing for gas tightness, make sure it’s positioned as shown in the picture. 

image.jpeg.fafb84480b85d066e4300be3e181aa4c.jpeg

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Is it like this one? Or do you just have a hose coming from the clip that you posted a picture of earlier?

These Regulators don’t have on/off switches. If you are referring to the black control lever on the side of the clip that sits on top of your gas cylinder then that needs to  be at 180°  to the position it is when it is not on the cylinder. That however isn’t your regulator. 

Where is your regulator? Is it like the one below and mounted on the gas locker wall?  That yellow lever isn’t an on/off control, it’s used when testing for gas tightness, make sure it’s positioned as shown in the picture. 

Hi Mr Plodd.

Have you read this post from the start?

I'm normally guilty of scanning and missing bits ;-)

The Butane bottle connector used is shown on page one.

Not wishing to call the kettle black, but..........

Can I suggest that you check out the first page again? 

There is no picture of a regulator, only one of the clip that fixes onto the cylinder with a hose attached, no regulator in sight only a pigtail hose leading away from it! See below 

Thats why I included two pictures, to demonstrate the different types.

image.jpeg.cd0bfcabae392fcfe6066cc73c2cad02.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Slim shot here but our regulator has a crash sensor and after every journey it needs resetting otherwise no gas.

Not sure if they had this feature in 2010. :unsure:

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Just now, Griff said:

Slim shot here but our regulator has a crash sensor and after every journey it needs resetting otherwise no gas.

Not sure if they had this feature in 2010. :unsure:

They came in much later than that, and then I think only on MH’s for many years. 

One could have been retro fitted of course! 

30 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

There is no picture of a regulator, only one of the clip that fixes onto the cylinder with a hose attached, no regulator in sight only a pigtail hose leading away from it! See below 

My mis-understanding Mr Plodd...I was referring to the on/off handle from page one on the connector.

Speed reading is a dangerous thing as proven by me also ;-)

49 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

With the clip-on adaptor and its hose on the bottle, it is impossible to have the bottle mounted regulator mounted as shown below. It's one way or the other, on bottle regulator  or off bottle regulator in use, and the OP's earlier posting made very clear they were not using a bottle mounted regulator.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Edited by JTQ

20 minutes ago, JTQ said:

With the clip-on adaptor and its hose on the bottle, it is impossible to have the bottle mounted regulator mounted as shown below. It's one way or the other, on bottle regulator  or off bottle regulator in use, and the OP's earlier posting made very clear they were not using a bottle mounted regulator.

Thank you for confirming JTQ.

18 hours ago, Paulines7 said:

This time I tried lighting the gas and still nothing.  No smell of gas inside the van or in the locker. 

If the gas is turned on at the bottle fitting shown in your photo and the yellow handle, if fitted, shown in Mr. Plods photo is in the down position and you are operating the gas tap on the hob correctly, i.e. turning it on and pushing it down, then gas should flow from the burner.

However, when a gas system hasn't been used in a while and a new bottle is fitted, it can take a little while to purge air out of the gas pipes.

Next time you try, if it doesn't light, keep the gas tap turned and pushed down for a min. or so , if it has auto ignition it should light eventually, if hasn't got got auto ignition, a separate button, keep the tap pushed and turned, don't push this button and if alls well you will eventually smell gas, the best burner to use when purging air is the largest burner.

Have you tried any other gas appliances fitted ?

Edited by Silversurf

2 hours ago, DerbyClubman said:

Pauline has been given a lot of helpful advice, but I'm rather surprised that as far as I can tell, no one has actually suggested looking at the Bailey website !!

A very quick search shows that they have an archive of owners handbooks going back over several years. The 2010 Pageant isn't covered but there is a 2010 handbook available for Pegasus which won't be that much different and will obviously cover most of the issues raised in previous postings. Otherwise give them a call and see if they can email or post a copy to you.

Click Here for link to Bailey Handbooks

Derby Clubman, thanks for your post.  I have the handbook for the 2010 Bailey Pageant 7 Bordeaux  and done everything in there to get the gas going.  I also found this site a couple of days ago and read through it.  https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/owners-manuals-and-service-handbooks/

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mr Plodd, thanks for your post.  We have the the regulator with the yellow lever in your second photo.  It says in the handbook that it should be switched off when travelling and doesn't say anything about "gas tightness".    It is in the on position when we try the gas.