So many vehicles not using Towing mirrors today.

smith100s

Briefly going down the M6 today we saw 4 vehicles towing a caravan, 3 of those vehicles 4x 4 no towing mirrors ? we have always carried a spare set of cheap mirrors just in case.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in conclusion to this subject    If you buy cheap mirrors and dont fit them properly so they vibrate, you dont have to adhere to the law.  

2 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Briefly going down the M6 today we saw 4 vehicles towing a caravan, 3 of those vehicles 4x 4 no towing mirrors ? we have always carried a spare set of cheap mirrors just in case.

Amazing! They were all illegal unless they were much wider than the regular UK 4 x 4's. It doesn't matter how big the driver thinks his car is, a tape measure would prove it is not really that wide. Why do people think theirs is bigger than everyone else's?

Simple really isn't it?.

If the vehicle you are towing is wider than the rear of your car,you need towing mirrors,or possibly face a £1,000 fine + 3 points.

1 minute ago, George&Ade said:

Simple really isn't it?.

If the vehicle you are towing is wider than the rear of your car,you need towing mirrors,or possibly face a £1,000 fine + 3 points.

Unless of course.....

“Some of us with a working lifetime of road experience just know what we are doing” 

:rolleyes:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Unless of course.....

“Some of us with a working lifetime of road experience just know what we are doing” 

:rolleyes:

Is that why we have A+E

Just now, Oscarmax said:

Is that why we have A+E

Yep, and B+E ;)

This morning I traveled down to Salisbury to look at a car. On the A34 we passed a very large twin axle Hobby caravan being towed by a VW Golf……. The towing mirrors were as absent as the number plate on the caravan. The very angry looking driver & his family didn’t look to be responsive to a lecture on the laws of towing so I decided not to attempt a Citizens Arrest at the services.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The Milenco on your mirror is a safety aid. The Milenco fallen off & lying on the motorway kills motorcyclists so not so safe.  

Surprisingly though the motorways are not littered with crashed caravans so the vast majority of us are doing it right however we choose to do it.  Let’s not condemn others just because you do it different from them eh ?

9 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

Is that why we have A+E

I hope none of us have be driven to A+E (A&E) because of some dumb idiots without towing mirrors!!

No but I will continue to condemn those who think they know better than the law  so therefore  feel entitled to ignore those very laws that are there for everyone’s safety. 

As for fallen off mirrors causing motorcyclists to crash and kill them selves please support that wild assertion with some form of evidence. In 30 years of traffic policing I never came across an instance of them causing any sort of incident.

I for one remain amazed at your blind instance that you don’t need to fit any towing mirrors to comply with the law.

Yesterday I was having this very discussion with my pal who has a Transit custom and a Bailey Cabrera. So, in order to see for ourselves exactly how much difference they made we hitched his caravan up and measured things up. It was physically impossible to see the required area of vision  past his caravan using  just the factory fitted  mirrors. It was impossible to  see either rear corner of his caravan in them so, going when backwards the “cone of invisibility” widened out the further back we went, certainly enough to completely “lose” a motorcycle, or car, positioned a safe distance back. 

I have no idea where in the country you live because if you were close to me I would be happy to turn up and prove to you, that unless you are driving something approaching the width of a Hummer towing mirrors are necessary for you to comply with the law. Even more so if towing one of the newer 8ft wide caravans.

From the number of people who have posted critical comments regarding your attitude to towing mirrors it would appear, to me, that you are in a very tiny minority of about one. Has it occurred to you why that might be??

:goodpost:         Thanks Mr. Plodd !

I wouldn't dream of towing without my Milenco mirrors fitted and I even keep a spare one in the caravan just in the unlikely case that I need a spare.   

Nice to see there are people out there who have a responsible attitude!  👏👏

Just popped back into the forum and can't believe this argument is still going on. I totally agree with camperdom  so that makes two of us with the same attitude to towing mirrors. Totally useless, they vibrate like mad and as I have previously stated I only fit them to satisfy the law. I just cannot understand the need to see someone who is tailgating you and anyone who is a safe distance from me I am aware of their presence in my normal mirrors. If overtaking on a motorway I can see quite clearly with my door mirrors anyone coming up in lane 2 so know when to pull out. When I reach my destination other half gets out and guides me back safely so no need for mirrors at all. So Mr plodd I don't want to come across as irresponsible  I just cannot honestly see the need for them but will  carry on fitting them because they are a legal requirement. 

It would help of course if more car makers actually  designed mirrors that could be easily fitted with towing mirrors. Particularly cars most likely to be used for towing could have mirrors designed to fit removable towing mirrors maybe as part of an options package included with factory fitted tow bars?

Won’t hold my breath though when you get blank looks from car salesmen from just asking if their factory fit towbar can include full caravan wiring. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I for one remain amazed at your blind instance that you don’t need to fit any towing mirrors to comply with the law.

Caravalair caravans have models with total width down to 6'11" so it may be possible a certain person has one of those - he does have a Caravalair.  Would that reduced amount make the use of normal mirrors legal - hard to tell without actually testing methinks?

19 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

It would help of course if more car makers actually  designed mirrors that could be easily fitted with towing mirrors. Particularly cars most likely to be used for towing could have mirrors designed to fit removable towing mirrors maybe as part of an options package included with factory fitted tow bars?

Won’t hold my breath though when you get blank looks from car salesmen from just asking if their factory fit towbar can include full caravan wiring. 

With the transition from I.C engines to battery propulsion and very few being approved for towing anything, it’s clear that the majority of manufacturers consider towing requirements as fairly insignificant.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Like many I would not dream of leaving without towing mirrors fitted. My outfit is 13MTRS long and have tried both types of Milenco mirrors with the longer arms, I can see down the sides and a vehicle behind, But I cannot see the gap between me and the vehicle I'm overtaking unless its sunny then you know you have cleared that vehicle.

My next caravan may have a rear view camera fitted to make it easier.

I thought that by buying a 4x4 and sit higher up would help but in reality its no different to a saloon car.

As a coach driver we have blind spots in both mirrors which a car in the right place can go unseen, It's frightening but you have to know what's going on around you.

If we lost a mirror it would be like driving with your eyes closed, Not going to end well.

Yesterday we took a trip up the A1 to Sheffield Meadowhall. First RR towing old Abbey no mirrors, Discovery towing Hobby legal? Ford Galaxy towing another twin axle Hobby with no mirrors?

There is no vehicle that is 2.3 or 2.5 MTRS wide not to need mirrors have a look on Autotrader or better Manufacture's website that does not include the mirrors.

As has been pointed out you need a mirror to comply with the law.

Perhaps there should be another thread started regarding driving in the rain on side lights or none at all, That will really get me going.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

It would help of course if more car makers actually  designed mirrors that could be easily fitted with towing mirrors.

Millenco do have a small range of accessories to assist the fitting of their mirrors to some car door mirror designs. Not ideal but may help to solve a problem.

Edited by Legal Eagle

We have a pair of Milenco Grand Aero mirror, they fitted perfect to our 2017 Ford Kuga both to the top of bottom of the mirror, on the odd occasion we have experienced the towing mirrors vibrating, but that is very rare.

We recently purchased a set of the new Milenco Grand Aero Platinum, to date we have not had the opportunity to try them out. We have notice the fittings are much superior , the mirror arms are much thicker in diameter and the arm are slightly longer than our old Milenco mirrors.

According to the manufacture they are designed to fit the latest aero shape mirror being fitted to cars and the latest 2.5metre/8' caravans.

WispMan
This post was recognized by WispMan!

Flat_at was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

14 hours ago, Camperdom said:

Oh you are wronger than a wrong thing.

As I mentioned earlier I don’t use towing mirrors because they vibrate & fall off. Neither do I check noseweight I just load caravan evenly & it tows just fine.  

I do check tyre pressures, torque wrench wheel nuts & check I am properly hitched up. 

So how can that be ?

Ok let’s try & explain. An awful lot of caravanners do what they are advised to do without actually knowing why they are doing it. You see the posts on here worrying about 85% weights, noseweight & so on clearly unable to grasp the reasons for any of that.  It’s like relying on satnavs without understanding you do need an idea of where you are actually going.

Some of us with a working lifetime of road experience just know what we are doing. Just like some forum posters will know exactly where I am coming from & others will simply not get it. 

I fit and use towing mirror because I don't need a £1000 fine and 3 points on my licence, I check tyre pressures to minimise the chances of a blowout which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road, I torque the wheel nuts to minimise the risk of a wheel falling off which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road, I check that my 'van is properly hitched to minimise the risk of it falling off which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road. I also carry a spare pair of mirrors just in case I lose one, I have driven an L.G.V. a few hundred yards with a broken n/s mirror, which I found to be a very disconcerting experience, to a garage to have a replacement fitted.

15 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

I fit and use towing mirror because I don't need a £1000 fine and 3 points on my licence, I check tyre pressures to minimise the chances of a blowout which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road, I torque the wheel nuts to minimise the risk of a wheel falling off which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road, I check that my 'van is properly hitched to minimise the risk of it falling off which could destroy my 'van and cause carnage on the road. I also carry a spare pair of mirrors just in case I lose one, I have driven an L.G.V. a few hundred yards with a broken n/s mirror, which I found to be a very disconcerting experience, to a garage to have a replacement fitted.

+1

2 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

We recently purchased a set of the new Milenco Grand Aero Platinum

Brilliant mirrors and no noticeable vibration.

Always fit the extra mirrors though I might just be legal without them as it gives a much better view.  However it always surprises me that there are people who will spend very large amounts of money on a van and then buy cheap mirrors.

I have a pair of maypole mirrors that do not vibrate at all and I find them to be a great benefit.

As to  some people saying that they are not a legal requirement,  try having a knock and see what your insurance company policy on the subject is.

Because we all know how insurance companies turn a blind eye in their endeavours to pay out so readily:D