So many vehicles not using Towing mirrors today.

smith100s

Ooh, a Mk1 Triumph 2000 :D

I had one of those once. Loved it and, in its day, pretty quick! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Now that's why we mustn't make assumptions....

As I would have had you more down as a Ford Capri as driven by John Thaw.

11 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

And I have been pulled over by one of them 😂

6 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Now that's why we mustn't make assumptions....

As I would have had you more down as a Ford Capri as driven by John Thaw.

Drive a  Ford?  I wasn’t a chav you know ! 

I had a Mk1 2000, then a Mk1 2.5 pI, man was that a seriously quick car in its day! very thirsty though, well it was the way I drove it :D, Then I progressed to a Mk2 2500 Tc (I was a fan of them) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

I sold the blue one in the photo a few years back after spending much time & money restoring it, it was a 1969 model so the last of the mk1’s. I’ve just bought this one, a 1964 model so one of the first, here we go again….

647DC96C-D280-4F26-BD49-AB28A11B748F.jpeg

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The best car I have been pulled over by was a Daimler Dart SP250 it was worth the telling off but no fine

3 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I sold the blue one in the photo a few years back after spending much time & money restoring it, it was a 1969 model so the last of the mk1’s. I’ve just bought this one, a 1964 model so one of the first, here we go again….

Bit of T cut and Autosol should sort that one out. 

3 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

I’ve just bought this one

Nicely back on topic.. 

NO TOWING MIRRORS

Did you buy it off Camperdom? Check the glove box.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

:Plus1:

+2

3 hours ago, Camperdom said:

I must admit I no longer use them. I just got fed up with them. Depending on type they either fall off or flap about also they can cause damage to car body if they get whacked so not much use anyway.  

I occasionally don't bother using them when taking the van to/from the storage site, it would take me longer to fit and remove them than it does to drive to the storage. Sometimes I fit them but don't bother adjusting them perfectly for that same journey. I've towed long distance with just one, when t'other fell off. 

I know full well that the law says I have to use them, but occasionally I don't. Most cops won't know about the need for them anyway, apart from traffic cops. Generally they are run off their feet to deal with mirrors, but it does only take one police car to see you, and know they should be fitted, and then it's a 50:50 chance of being fined etc.

The main purpose of my towing mirrors is to detect the edge of the bushes the councils so diligently don’t bother to cut back these days.

I work on a very busy a road  and not seen one yet without, which sometimes has its risks as some drivers get them very close!Far more worrying behaviours on our roads.

Edited by Jezzerb

I put them on to comply with the law but I don't really need them and use the car mirrors. I drive a 4x4 and the car mirrors are fine but as long as the towing mirrors are in situ  it satisfies the law. They really are a complete waste of time for many vehicles. 

Yes they are good as overgrown hedge detectors. 

Edited by David55

I do use them on the motorway but appreciate them more to indicate the width of the caravan. If the mirror clears the obstacle, so will the van! 

I find the views on road safety from some members of this forum quite depressing.

It does reflect badly doesn't it? 

25 minutes ago, David55 said:

I put them on to comply with the law but I don't really need them and use the car mirrors. I drive a 4x4 and the car mirrors are fine but as long as the towing mirrors are in situ  it satisfies the law. They really are a complete waste of time for many vehicles. 

Yes they are good as overgrown hedge detectors. 

The law requires you to have the level of rear view vision as per the diagram and description posted earlier in the thread as a minimum. The law doesn't require extended mirrors to be fitted just because you are towing a trailer.

If your profile details are still correct, towing a standard width caravan (2015 Elddis Affinity) with a Ford Kuga AWD will require extended mirrors to comply with the law as the Kuga's standard door mirrors are insufficient.

I tow a 2015 Swift with a Kuga AWD and need extended mirrors to comply with the law. Before that I had a Jeep Commander and still needed extended mirrors whilst towing to comply.

14 hours ago, Alfie T said:

Wing mirrors or rear view mirrors are the same thing ?

The regulations now refer to "devices for indirect vision" which includes cameras.

Trucks now require far more than just a view to the rear.

Towing mirrors really are poor though aren't they. Not disputing that they are necessary at all but they are a faff to set up right, they often vibrate like mad and have a bad habit of coming lose or getting knocked off.

Have you ever seen how the American's do it? They have mirrors which can be pulled out or pushed back in, sometimes even electrically. 

That might be hard to do on a normal estate car but really the big tow cars like the Discovery should really have it as an option. 

I've often wondered why no one does a semi permanent mirror installation where you glue or screw a fixing discreetly to the bottom of the mirror, the mirror could then quickly clip on. 

I cannot believe some peoples attitude to extending mirrors, lets be honest it takes less than 5 minutes to put them on, it's just laziness not to bother.  

I totally agree with comments by Mr Plod.

I don't think it's a case of ignoring the law just that all mirrors I have tried either fall off or are that badly vibrating that they are useless. To be honest I can see all I need to see out of door mirrors so only fit extentions to satisfy the law.

1 hour ago, ChertseyMike said:

Towing mirrors really are poor though aren't they. Not disputing that they are necessary at all but they are a faff to set up right, they often vibrate like mad and have a bad habit of coming lose or getting knocked off.

Have you ever seen how the American's do it? They have mirrors which can be pulled out or pushed back in, sometimes even electrically. 

That might be hard to do on a normal estate car but really the big tow cars like the Discovery should really have it as an option. 

I've often wondered why no one does a semi permanent mirror installation where you glue or screw a fixing discreetly to the bottom of the mirror, the mirror could then quickly clip on. 

Some might be poor - but not all.  I use Grand Aeros on a Touareg towing an 8' wide Knaus.  I have the extra long arms fitted to the mirrors because the standard ones don't give me a good enough view. They take a few minutes to put on - never vibrate or move when under way and I always go through the process of aligning them after hooking up - which again takes just a couple of minutes.  My car mirrors are 'powerfold' and they continue to be so when the towing mirrors are attached, so the flick of a switch can retract them, if necessary - and this feature is fairly common on UK cars now so I don't know where the reference to American vehicles comes from.

I agree that mirrors can get knocked off - 'white vanman' did that to me some years ago and ever since I have covered the back of my offside mirror with 'dayglo' yellow tape to make it stand out and judging by the number of vehicles who visibly move to their left as they approach me - it does seem to work.

Having had the same background s Mr Plodd, I too, am appalled at the number of tow cars I see on the road without extended mirrors - they are a danger to themselves and other road users - and I am equally appalled by some of the comments on here by people who obviously think that responsibility for safety on the road rests with others rather than themselves.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

I just cannot see where you get dangerous from unless of course you are reversing 

45 minutes ago, richardandros said:

My car mirrors are 'powerfold' and they continue to be so when the towing mirrors are attached, so the flick of a switch can retract them, if necessary - and this feature is fairly common on UK cars now so I don't know where the reference to American vehicles comes from.

Folding is completely different from extending. They can extend to become wider than the trailer being towed, sometimes at the touch of a button.

See here for example: https://youtu.be/pIzJF8YG-F4

I'm sure you are perfectly happy with your mirrors but I think it's fair to consider having to strap or clamp extra mirrors on to £70k worth of car and caravan a bit naff. Given the number of vehicles seen driving without towing mirrors (or with some clamped on without really meeting the requirements) I don't think this is a controversial point of view.

Edited by ChertseyMike

2 hours ago, DACS said:

I find the views on road safety from some members of this forum quite depressing.

:Plus1:

I personally am appalled by the antics performed by some drivers. My familys safety is of paramount importance to me. I will not take chances with any aspect of road safety and would encourage all road users to follow ALL the "rules" of the road at all times. Rant over, apologies.

Edited by Flat_at
I can spell but my fingers can't