So many vehicles not using Towing mirrors today.

smith100s

Maybe I'm just more observant since getting my own van but today I drove to Driffield twice for work from Doncaster. Naturally this route towards the coast is very popular. I saw many people travelling away and to the coast but I was shocked at how many cars never used them. Honestly I would have said one in five easily. There was no pattern to this. I can only assume shear ignorance to the rules. I honestly would be lost without mine despite my car mirrors being excellent the additional visibility is so useful even though the vibrations frustrate. 

Has this always been the case or is the newfound popularity amongst people new to caravaning a contributor to the issue? What's the penalty for non compliance?

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think there is a legal requirement for towing mirrors only a legal requirement to be able to see behind caravan that for compliance often require the fitting of towing mirrors. I must admit I no longer use them. I just got fed up with them. Depending on type they either fall off or flap about also they can cause damage to car body if they get whacked so not much use anyway.  Never been stopped but how often do you see a cop anyway ? The odd occasion I have been passed by them they have taken no notice.  I do carry a pair of strap on mirrors but don’t use them because they are useless.

Edited by Camperdom

We’ve been out touring since 7th June, currently at our 3rd site before returning home next week and we’ve seen quite a few without mirrors. Some cars were clearly not wide enough to allow appropriate rear field of vision. I don’t know why people don’t bother - we never have a problem with our Milenco mirrors vibrating or falling off.

For compliance inside edge of mirror needs to be beyond the width of caravan. Which is impractical in my view. Most towing mirrors you see are not adjusted correctly so only for show anyway 

As for Milenco mirrors not falling off it depends on shape of car mirror. I never had much success with them. 

Edited by Camperdom

19 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

. I must admit I no longer use them. I just got fed up with them. Depending on type they either fall off or flap about also they can cause damage to car body if they get whacked so not much use anyway.  Never been stopped but how often do you see a cop anyway ? 

What a wonderfully responsible attitude to have. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Well of course you would say that Plod but no different to most towing mirror users who do not adjust them to allow compliance with law anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Well of course you would say that Plod but no different to most towing mirror users who do not adjust them to allow compliance with law anyway. 

How do you know that or are you guessing? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 minute ago, Camperdom said:

Don’t start getting narky! It’s not me who is flouting the law and admitting to it on a public forum with apparent pleasure.

In addition your evidence for the assumption about poor adjustment is based on what exactly? Are you able to see what the driver of another car can or cannot see in their mirrors? 

Do you fit your breakaway cable? Or is that something else you choose to ignore?  How about your seat belt? 

3 minutes ago, WispMan said:

How do you know that or are you guessing? 

I know it. Many users adjust mirrors as close as possible to car to avoid getting them clouted & in my experience experience the strap on type will never stay correctly adjusted they fold in over 40mph.

Dear oh dear Plod. Of course I fit my breakaway cable. It is not just for show unlike most towing mirrors  & yes I wear my seatbelt. The car starts squawking at me If I don’t.

The best caravan investment I made was in a pair of Milenco clamp-on aero mirrors. Had them for ten years and they certainly do give a better rearward view than the car mirrors. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac necessitating reversing round a corner and then about 100 metres to our house. The Milenco mirrors make this easier and safer.

The only gripe is they often need tweaking for each journey which we do out in the road and car/caravan in a straight line.

While I certainly see some not using them, in my experience they’re a minority.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

:Plus1:

6 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

I know it. Many users adjust mirrors as close as possible to car to avoid getting them clouted & in my experience experience the strap on type will never stay correctly adjusted they fold in over 40mph.

Then you must be using them wrongly. I used to use those (Maypole I think) before I got my Milenco’s & they never folded, but they did vibrate a lot, something the current ones don’t do.

9 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Dear oh dear Plod. Of course I fit my breakaway cable. It is not just for show unlike most towing mirrors  & yes I wear my seatbelt. The car starts squawking at me If I don’t.

I will let others come to their own conclusions about your sweeping statements about your clearly superhuman ability to know exactly how others have their towing mirrors adjusted, and that towing mirrors are  “just for show”

For show or not, if they extend beyond the cars mirrors then they are providing you with additional view behind. 

I doubt that any standard cars on the road have adequate rearview through the car mirrors for caravanning (bar the exceptionally narrow caravans or folders). The dimensions of the car and caravan make it physically impossible to comply with the law. Any DVSA road side check would have a field day, and drivers would not be permitted to proceed unless they had the required mirrors stashed somewhere. 

It makes me wonder how you would get on with  a car with no wing mirrors as cameras seem to be the way  forward for Some manufacturers

The difference between the visibility with towing mirrors versus not having them is substantial. No towing mirrors is a flag to the law to pull you over and check for other things too. Whether one likes it or not Mr Plodd is correct on this matter.

1 hour ago, Camperdom said:

His forum name is  Mr Plodd and I personally find you are being rude to address him as Plodd.

Towing mirrors may not be adjusted correctly but may still improve rearward visibility so not for show.

Unless you have the correct rear vision you are deliberately driving with poor vision which may make you as bad if not worse then the others you are slagging off that have not got their mirrors correctly set.

I would suggest you spend more time finding and fitting suitable towing mirrors.  why you would carry mirrors that are no good ?

macafee2

21 minutes ago, Alfie T said:

It makes me wonder how you would get on with  a car with no wing mirrors as cameras seem to be the way  forward for Some manufacturers

Wing mirrors?  Those fairly useless objects that disappeared in the latter half of last century?

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

image.jpeg.233ea248283af57597ba7de62fa86659.jpeg

That's the law and it should be enforced.

We can choose what to drive, we can choose what to tow but we can't pick & choose which laws we want to abide.

11 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Wing mirrors?  Those fairly useless objects that disappeared in the latter half of last century?

Wing mirrors or rear view mirrors are the same thing ?

Wing mirrors, these ones were quite good but it was a bit like trying to have a shave in your bathroom using a mirror at the bottom of the garden.

85070202-1F99-4FD2-AD8D-8B625DE1E8E0.jpeg

I have the latest Milenco Aero Platinums and they are rock solid.

No vibration distraction and a great view right to the back corners of the caravan. I wouldn't want to be changing lanes on a motorway without that full view.

I wonder what the insurance company would think if a claim was made but they subsequently found out that there were no mirrors fitted at the time of an incident.

Contrary to popular belief, towing mirrors are a legal requirement for the majority of cars including 4x4’s that are towing a caravan or trailer.

The Law

The law is very clear on the subject of mirrors and towing –

If your trailer or caravan is wider than the rear of the towing car, you must fit additional towing mirrors

Aside from breaking the law, if you choose not to fit them you run the risk of –

A 3 point penalty on your licence

Being prosecuted by the police

A fine of up to £1,000 for each mirror infringement

The law also specifies that you must have a clear field of vision 4 metres out from the side of your van, and 20 metres back behind the driver. The diagram below clearly shows the area either side of the car that you need to be able to see. Without the additional mirrors, you will find that you may have blind spots caused by the edges of your caravan.

However, the law doesn’t stop there. To prevent your tow car becoming an additional hazard, there is a maximum distance of 25cm that the mirrors must not extend beyond the width of your caravan; this is reduced to a maximum of 20cm on cars manufactured prior to 26th January 2007.

You may also find that should you be involved in an accident, your car insurance may be invalidated if you are found to be at fault – so is it worth the risk?