CRiS Legal Document or Not

On 25/06/2021 at 22:18, Legal Eagle said:

It matters not whether it is mentioned in the Policy.

That sounds a bit weird. Is the policy not your contract with them?

Which insurance company please?

I want to check that I'm not with them as I bought my Bailey caravan new and have no CRiS document.

If anyone needs to know I have paid for it I have the dealer paid invoice to show.

5 hours ago, Scarab said:

That sounds a bit weird. Is the policy not your contract with them?

Not weird if you understand contract law. The policy provides detail of what is and isn't covered. What documents may or may not be required in the event of a claim does not necessarily form part of the contract although most contain a clause which is worded to require the policyholder to provide everything requested in order to settle a claim.

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

Not weird if you understand contract law. The policy provides detail of what is and isn't covered. What documents may or may not be required in the event of a claim does not necessarily form part of the contract although most contain a clause which is worded to require the policyholder to provide everything requested in order to settle a claim.

I thought I did! Seems strange that they can expect you to provide a certain document without specifying it in the contract, if you have already satisfied the terms of the contract via other means.  

Having a long list of documents that might be required and to cover every eventuality would be weird. Instead they just put a clause in that requires you to provide whatever they ask for in order to progress a claim settlement or recovery.

7 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

Having a long list of documents that might be required and to cover every eventuality would be weird. Instead they just put a clause in that requires you to provide whatever they ask for in order to progress a claim settlement or recovery.

I can see the logic in that. But if you don't have a document but are in compliance with the terms of the policy then that must leave you at an impasse. 

9 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Frankly I would write to the insurer and say the document is not a legal one, does not confirm actual ownership and they have examined the remains of the caravan so its existence is not in doubt. There is no justifiable reason not tp proceed with the claim and that they should regard this as complaint and you wish for a full explanation in line with their complaints procedure and will take the matter to the Ombudsdman if you are not happy with their reply.

When speaking to the Insurers they immediately tell you to Talk to the appointed Loss Adjusters.  It seems to me once a Loss Adjuster is appointed they control the whole process.  They eventually  agreed to commence the claims process without the CRiS registration document but I did do a CRiS check to prove no outstanding finance on the caravan at another £15.  I have now had an insurance offer which I rejected and have today received an improved offer which I will probably accept.  A complaints procedure thro the insurers is min 8 weeks and the ombudsman complaint process is another 8 weeks and with no certainty of winning. 

6 hours ago, David 38 said:

Which insurance company please?

I want to check that I'm not with them as I bought my Bailey caravan new and have no CRiS document.

If anyone needs to know I have paid for it I have the dealer paid invoice to show.

My Insurance was through brokers Lifesure and the Insurers are Argenta.

The claim has been stressful, no doubt as all claims are, and to get the claim moving has meant I have had to do all the chasing, Lifesure just pass you to the the agent handling the claim for the insurers who then pass you off to the Loss Adjuster who is handling 150 claims and therefore my claim is not always priority.

Having been through the claim process my advice is;

1) CRiS register the Caravan and hold the registration document in case you need to claim.  It takes several weeks to obtain from CRiS and that may hold up your claim.

2) Service the caravan every year without fail as if you don’t they will reject or knock back your claim.

3) Insure for the correct value of the caravan or they will again knock back your claim.

4) If you can afford to insure new for old then do it as they have less opportunity to argue market value.

51 minutes ago, Rogerc0 said:

My Insurance was through brokers Lifesure and the Insurers are Argenta.

Thanks, not with them thankfully.

I thought Brokers worked for you to get good insurance and also make claims straight forward.

I read a long time back I think in relation to house claims if a big claim one is best to appoint your own loss adjuster to work on ones behalf.

I wonder if brokers should be avoided for caravans at least.

I'm with CMC who claim to settle almost all claims .

I always deal direct for as many things as possible. A broker gets commission, and there is only one place that comes from, and it’s not from company profits! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Roger, Any complaint goes to the insurer and not any loss adjuster involved. The complaint is possibly against the adjuster, although the requirement for the CRiS document might not be his decision.  Basically you can negotiate the settlement with an adjuster but the insurer deals with the complaints under the terms of the insurers licence. 

Glad to hear that it looks like the mater is being resolved though. I do accept that the complaints procedure can take time, but in practice most companies will deal far quicker than eight weeks. We would have simply looked at it immediately, and in most cases answered within a week. 

Edited by Wildwood

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.