Bailey Phoenix + 640 2021 no heat in bedroom

We have a new 640 and are very pleased with it.  However, one problem is that although the Truma blown air works well in the lounge and bathroom, nothing comes out in the bedroom at all.  When heat is coming out of the bathroom vent the floor immediately to the rear of that vent is warm, but there's no sign of anything coming out of the bedroom vent.

It seems likely that a pipe has come off (or never been on :().  Can anybody describe how to access the pipework to the bedroom so that I can check it out myself rather than go back to the dealer?

Thanks for any help!

Shut one of the vents at the front down. Then turn the fan up to high!

It should now blast into the bedroom.

If not a pipe is off.

If it is off let me know and I will explain how to sort out!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

You cannot access the trunking that feeds the bedroom. The hot air trunking is all internal. The trunking for the bedroom goes behind the under sink cabinet and toilet in the bathroom via a (smaller bore than the rest) pipe which acts as a bit of a restrictor so less warm air comes out.

It doesn’t bother us as we like the bedroom to be cool. 

If you want the bedroom hotter then if you shut the lounge vents down a bit, and shut the door between the bathroom and lounge, you will get more heat into the bathroom and bedroom.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

23 hours ago, PR1 said:

Shut one of the vents at the front down. Then turn the fan up to high!

It should now blast into the bedroom.

If not a pipe is off.

If it is off let me know and I will explain how to sort out!

Thanks for the reply.

Tried that and it definitely made a difference.  With the fan on "High" and lounge and bathroom vents shut there is now a reasonable draft of warm air in the bedroom.  It's not as strong a draft as the ones in the lounge etc. and the air doesn't seem quite as warm, but it is definitely warm air blowing through. 

Do you think this is  a "feature" rather than a "fault", i.e. if we're getting warm air everything must be basically working as it should be?

Hi.

Glad that has helped!

You need to fiddle with the vents to get the best setting for you.

Have you checked that all pipes are properly connected!

Paul

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Can you get a torch shine it into the vent in the bedroom you may be able to see if the pipe work is connected.

Just now, mickfishing said:

Can you get a torch shine it into the vent in the bedroom you may be able to see if the pipe work is connected.

Just use your finger up the hole! You can soon tell if they are fitted properly!

1 hour ago, mickfishing said:

Tried that! Doesn’t work, the vent is angled at 90° to the trunking. 

It appears to  be a common issue with the Phoenix range and I doubt if they all have unconnected (or loose) trunking.  Much more likely that the smaller bore trunking required to “get past” the bathroom furniture is acting as a restrictor. 

Some while ago someone posted a picture of a Phoenix where the entire sidewall was not present  (I assumed it was a picture supplied by Bailey) that showed the trunking layout down the caravans offside. 

I have used mine in the depths if winter and, despite tge apparent lack of warm air out if that vent the bedroom has always been warm enough for us. Having said that we do leave all the internal doors open at night, can’t see the point in closing them anyway! 

Edit

Found  picture, it’s from This thread You can see the brown trunking underneath the toilet cassette. If you look at the right of the picture you can see where tge trunking size decreases behind the cooker and over the black wheel box It’s simply impossible to get at (I have tried!) 

66DDEFE8-4112-404A-B838-040ACF599A02.jpeg

Edited by Mr Plodd

Thanks, Mr Plod.  Very interesting picture!

I think it is a "feature" rather than a "fault" as the pipes appear to be connected as blown air comes through.  I've poked fingers in all suggested places and can't find anything loose.

We do keep the doors closed at night as both ends have sleepers and there are privacy requirements re the bathroom :).  So it seems we need to keep the doors open and get the bedroom warm in the earlier part of the evening, then shut the vents in the lounge and bathroom but keep the bedroom ones open with the  fan on overnight if it's chilly.  The lounge always seems to keep warm.

I'll update on the basis of our next round of experimentation,   

I would agree that it’s a feature rather than a “fault”, it’s not something that bothers us because, even at home, neither of us like the bedroom to be warm preferring a snuggly duvet rather than a hot room.

It does seem to be a bit of odd thing to do, but having had experience of a caravan where a large section of (uninsulated) heater trunking was routed under the floor I can see the thinking behind it. There is clearly insufficient room to use “standard” bore trunking behind the toilet. The narrower trunking clearly restricts the flow of warm air to the bedroom, and there is no way of improving it. I have tried closing off the lounge vents,  but it didn’t seem to make any discernible difference to the airflow into the bed room, likewise closing down the bathroom vent.

Still really happy with the caravan though. Currently sat in it on a site in Suffolk, this is night number 26 of this trip. 

We're also very happy with ours.  Almost all problems have been "pilot errors" so far :(.

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Currently sat in it on a site in Suffolk, this is night number 26 of this trip. 

Was that really necessary? :D You're just making me jealous.

We're really happy with ours too, if we could change one thing it would be a larger fridge, but we manage.

To anyone with anything that has a Truma Combi 2 fitted can I just advise that if you get any issues with it the very first think to do is a “Factory reset” (it can be found in the settings menu) 

I have been battling for about 18 months with the hot water going cold overnight (subject of another thread in the Bailey section) loads of emails and lengthy telephone conversations with a Truma tech. Then, out of idle curiosity I had a look at the manual online and found the factory reset. It took about 30 seconds to do and my hot water now stays hot overnight. 

Salt that little snippet away, hopefully you will never need it, but you just might.