Milenco Super Heavy Duty AL-KO, AKS 3004 Hitchlock

I bought a Milenco Super Heavy Duty AL-KO, AKS 3004 Hitchlock for my 2010 recently bought Bailey Pageant Bordeaux.  On opening the box, there were no instructions, just a series of pictures which I didn't think were very clear so I looked for details of how to fit it on line.  In the box was a security ball and it wasn't shown on the diagrams. nor mentioned on the box.  I assumed this extra bit fitted into the hole underneath that the  tow bar goes into when connecting to the car.  I managed to get it in there but wasn't sure if I had done the right thing so decided to take it out before fitting the metal part of the hitchlock.  The ball was stuck in there though and it took me ages to get it out.  I assume I  I need to fit this ball?  It seems strange that there is no mention of it on the box.  If it has to go in the hole, is there a knack for getting it out? 

There was nothing on the box which says that you shouldn't tow with the hitchlock in place.  I wouldn't have done so anyway, as it weighs such a lot.  I found instructions on the web from Leisure Outlet which says "This version of the Super Heavy Duty Hitchlock fit's AL-KO, AKS 2004, 3004, AKS10 Hitches.   Also, please note, fits hitched or unhitched (not to be used on the hitch, whilst towing)"   I am amazed that it doesn't have that written on the box that the hitchlock comes in.  Newcomers to caravanning may be tempted to tow with it on especially if they haven't fitted the ball thinking it is superfluous!   They wouldn't be able to fit the caravan connection to the car properly with the lock on and this could be a real hazzard.  

I am very pleased with my new caravan purchase and was surprised how many things have been updated since I bought my 1996 Lunar.  I had to laugh when I was asking the previous owner about certain things and he said "Welcome to the 21st Century!"

The plastic ball is designed to blank off the ball receiver of the hitch. As it’s a plastic moulding it is possible that it’s got some “flash” (sharp bits/edges) that make it awkward to remove, constant use will make it easier.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Actual AL-KO brand hitchlock can be used while towing & states that in the instructions. I always do if I intend to stop for break on the way. The AL-KO brand plastic ball fits in no probs on mine.  The idea of ball is to prevent thief somehow towing locked caravan away with a hook I think. 

Edited by Camperdom

26 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Actual AL-KO brand hitchlock can be used while towing & states that in the instructions. I always do if I intend to stop for break on the way. The AL-KO brand plastic ball fits in no probs on mine.  The idea of ball is to prevent thief somehow towing locked caravan away with a hook I think. 

In reality they have a piece of scaffolding pipe with a towball welded to the end which they chain onto the caravan hitch, so it matters not what kind of lock is fitted.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Thank you for your replies.

Gary, I hope that constant use will make it easier to remove.  I did have difficulty unhitching when I got back home with the caravan after buying it because the AL-KO stabiliser handle would not lift up.   In the end, I moved the car forward a bit more until it was exactly in line with the caravan and was able to lift the handle straight away.   The previous owner hadn't used the caravan for a long time due to the Covid regulations so that might be why it was so difficult.

Camperdom, the hitchlock weighs several kg and according to the Malenco website, the Super Heavy Duty Hitchlock should not be on when towing.  See: 

https://www.milenco.com/products/security/hitchlocks/super-heavy-duty-3004-hitchlock#photos

Steven, I suppose they will always find a way of stealing a caravan.  Fortunately, we have several cctv cameras in action which are a deterrent.  

The Milenco lock is very bulky and might interfere with the stabiliser handle. 

17 minutes ago, DACS said:

The Milenco lock is very bulky and might interfere with the stabiliser handle. 

The stabiliser handle definitely can’t be pushed down with the lock in place. 

This thread caught my attention when I saw ‘Super-heavy Milenco Hithlock’. I thought it might be a good upgrade on the Milenco lock I’ve got. When I clicked the link and saw the pictures I realised it is the one I’ve got!

Hope it’s as good as its write up. 

Benchillian, there is a Lightweight AKS 3004 Hitchlock as well as a Super Heavy AKS 3004. 

They look exactly the same but the super Heavy one has "been engineered and designed to be the strongest Hitchlocks on the market. Super Heavy Duty 4mm steel combined with the strongest lock ever used in one of these products. Far exceed all standards for security. SCM MP03, Sold Secure Gold and SBSC SSF Approved."

See:     https://www.milenco.com/products/security/hitchlocks/lightweight-aks-hitchlock

Thanks for that. In that case I’ll definitely have a look for one next time I’m at the caravan shop.