new unicorn series 5

My clip was a spring clip  I found in my bits and bobs box! I am not sure where it came from! I will put a photo next time I get my van out.

Edited by 664DaveS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/07/2021 at 14:20, johnsev said:

Having watched the live launch was quite impressed but looking on Baileys website I have noticed that the solar panel is 80watts.On the series4 it is 100, also no tyre pal or satellite connection .Seems a bit penny pinching to me.Will still go and have look when we can see them in the flesh though.

80 W should be fine for general caravanning - even 100 W is not generally enough for hardened off gdridders who usually upgrade and get another battery also 👍

Edited by djadria

2 hours ago, djadria said:

80 W should be fine for general caravanning - even 100 W is not generally enough for hardened off gdridders who usually upgrade and get another battery also 👍

Yes we use a free standing panel as well and have two 110amp/hr batteries.My point was that there are several features missing on the new van that are on the series 4.Not so much as cosmetics but safety on the road.No tyrepal,no high level brake light and gone back to the underslung spare carrier but you get a wine rack.Can’t wait to view though.

I think I may swap from Alicanto to one 😃

the fridge is nice - the big window probably costs a lot more - and they have to balance the costs out.

I think it looks less fussy than other models - a bit more continental 👍

9 hours ago, djadria said:

We have Estoril but thinking of going back to narrower van - had a few close shaves at narrow sites and roads 🙄

So long as they were just close, and no contact made, what’s the problem?..,

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It’s just easier to tow a slimline model Mr P 😂

It’s only 3 inches in each side! But I understand what you mean ;)

Let’s say fenwicks acrylic polish came in handy - !

also I just like a change 😉

Be interested to see if Uni 5 has better underfloor water management too 🙄

So much better looking inside and out. I noted that the launch included interviews with their product designers. Glad to see that the team have finally got round to the Unicorn and have put to rest the legacy of the disastrous ugly fronted versions. While Swift have been employing automotive designers for years, Bailey seemed to let some visually illiterate engineer loose on their fronts. They finally saw the light a few years ago and have been tweaking things in the right direction. This is the most radical step so far.

The trick at the front is to curve the lower panel and windows in 2 directions so that, despite the wrap over alutec construction the whole thing looks less slab like.

Inside the change to light oak makes this the first Bailey I could stand being inside. More like Adria than the gloomy dark wood of previous models (and many competitors)

So why does the Discovery lack the panache of the Basecamp when they were starting from a clean sheet?

Yes - glad dark wood has been dumped. Has a hint of the Adamo motorhome interior about it. More continental. Must admit have thought of straying to Swift - due to the wooden floor issues - still not addressed by Bailey and not mentioned in their brochures - as though it doesn’t exist! 
BUT -warranty is good - and the Infinity window is amazing - compared to other manufacturers - guess a Marmite thing! 😂👍

Funny isn't it-we actively don't want the light light wood effect doors-loved our Verona -they seem to be copying Coachman and that's why we didn't buy one-getting lighter all the time. We like a bit of colour-shame they can't offer a colour option on cupboards etc, but hey ho. Looks nice and we do like Baileys. 

True - they alternate dark/ light wood to say ‘new’ each time 😂.

each to their own 👍

but I don’t like the ‘bleached’ light wood on Coachmans 👍

The colour of internal “woodwork” seems to cycle every few years from light to mid tone to dark and then looping back to to light again. The caravan makers  need to do something to try and encourage owners they need to change every few years to remain “contemporary” 

1 minute ago, djadria said:

each to their own

Ha! Beaten to it by about 30 seconds! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

7 minutes ago, djadria said:

each to their own 👍

but I don’t like the ‘bleached’ light wood on Coachmans 👍

Personally prefer light woodwork,  to me dark wood is depressing and old fashioned, so it's good to have a choice to suit personal tastes.

Great minds think alike Mr P - you are losing your touch - or is my broadband faster! 😂👍

Edited by djadria

Our order is in 👍🏻

10 minutes ago, Scaramanga said:

Our order is in 👍🏻

Which one? 
I might go for the Cadiz 😬

Which one? 
I might go for the Cadiz 😬

Ordered the Pamplona. Going to look at a preproduction model at the weekend 

6 hours ago, Scaramanga said:

Ordered the Pamplona. Going to look at a preproduction model at the weekend 

Great - lovely van!

where do u get to see pre-production model?  😀

Great - lovely van!

where do u get to see pre-production model?  😀

Quite a few of the dealers are getting them in. They will get a certain model then have it swapped for another one after a couple of weeks or so

Oh I see - my dealer says demo not until  Sept. end 

perhaps that was the specific layout?

I’m interested in Cadiz 👍

We have a U4 Cadiz and really like it. As it's 3 years old we are not interested in changing it at the moment.

I have Alicanto Estoril - lovely van - but thinking of going back to 7ft5 😬👍

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the new Madrid, but they’ve gone back to an undercounter fridge.  Doesn’t work for me!

We were considering going back to Bailey, but I can’t see any open shelving to just pop things down on. The window ledge has gone, the two shelves half way up have gone and the shelves above the twin singles in the Cadiz have gone too. Maybe I need to see one properly to check it out. 🤔