new unicorn series 5

Ryan Clifford

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see that lady bailey have the new unicorn models advertised and price and here link to there pagehttps://www.ladybaileycaravans.co.uk/bailey-caravans/bailey-unicorn-black-edition

Be interesting to see what mods they've made to the Alutec system to address the wet floor issues.

Certainly much better looking vans than previous models.

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo

16 hours ago, Ryan Clifford said:

I see that lady bailey have the new unicorn models advertised and price and here link to there pagehttps://www.ladybaileycaravans.co.uk/bailey-caravans/bailey-unicorn-black-edition

Aren't they the current ones?

The Cadiz compared to my 2018 model has a round sink and curved overhead lockers and a few cosmetic changes 

But why change the layouts if they sell

19 minutes ago, Ryan Clifford said:

If you go down the bottom of page 2022 unicorn model are there

Thanks! I have the attention span of a four year old, it seems!

20 hours ago, Ryan Clifford said:

No actual details, apart from price increase of £1300 on the model I checked. Guess we’ll have to wait for the launch. 

Edited by Glen and Les

14 hours ago, D-Hill said:

No Valencia model listed 

It’s a layout that’s been dropped by other manufacturers. Perhaps Bailey are doing the same, although not everyone likes the island beds. Guess we’ll know more at the launch.

Be interested to know if they have better floors 😉👍

1 hour ago, djadria said:

Be interested to know if they have better floors 😉👍

Better than what??

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Floors with better design / water management. 

Tendency to rot.

My friend’s 6 year old discovery - rotten corner - just under warranty luckily.

My 1 year old has to go back to factory for floor repair / delamination under floor

whole chassis has to come off 🙄

Also had water leak from skirting to floor / leaky screw. Easy to sort. 

point is - if they had composite sandwich floor edging and not wood - that would not happen - and a GRP underfloor (like all swifts) - then it wouldn’t matter if under floor wet - the rot would not happen - wooden upper floor is ok 

Bailey floors are letting them down in this age 🙄

PS prefer everything above the floor to other makes - love the inside fittings - but  the floors are out of date / bad design now 👍🙂

Edited by djadria

I did ask Bailey why they still employ plywood rather than composite in their flooring. Apparently they couldn’t find a composite floor that was durable, light enough and, probably most importantly, cheap enough, to use. Yeah, right!  :rolleyes:

I intend to get underneath mine with a sprayer loaded with a decent quality wood treatment like Cuprinol, can’t do any harm can it? Bailey only give it a quick slap of emulsion at the factory. Unbelievable isn’t it?    Having said that the outer walls of mine (2019 Phoenix) sit over the edge of the floor rather than sitting on it as per my previous Olympus. So, in theory water now has no pathway from the sidewall into/onto the floor. Still going to treat the underneath though “just in case” £50 spent now could save me a fortune later. I view it as cheap insurance, and yes I know I shouldn’t have to do it, but I shouldn’t have to lock my car when I leave it, but we all do. 

Agree Mr P - it is just cheap flooring - Swift have transitioned all their floors now to the new method. But reserve the completely wood free floor for top of range - fair enough.

good luck with the preserving. Perhaps something with preservatives but human friendly ( fumes wise? ) 

1 hour ago, djadria said:

. Perhaps something with preservatives but human friendly ( fumes wise? ) 

I was planning on using something pretty decent, certainly  not Creosote!! 

Definitely not 😱 - too smelly 😂

How about tanilising fluid?

That’s the sort of stuff, but I think wood needs to be soaked in that? I was planning on spraying something on. Not as efficient, but a whole load better than a splash of emulsion 

I don’t think they’ll change to a composite floor that would put the Unicorn above the Alicanto for spec in my mind. I admit the Bailey floor system seems very outdated along with the rubbish stable doors they love to fit .Personally I like Swift for the floor technology and quality one piece door with automotive style handles ..but unfortunately the beds are too small for us 😔

We like the doors - with dogs much needed soz 👍

PS they should have called the Alicanto -unicorn grande in my opinion 🙄

Edited by djadria

Mr Plodd, I was thinking of doing the same underneath, using Cuprinol or some other wood preserver but concerned about the additional weight on the axle lol.

45 minutes ago, Banx said:

Mr Plodd, I was thinking of doing the same underneath, using Cuprinol or some other wood preserver but concerned about the additional weight on the axle lol.

With such meagre payloads that’s a good shout :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On 27/06/2021 at 16:52, Mr Plodd said:

That’s the sort of stuff, but I think wood needs to be soaked in that? I was planning on spraying something on. Not as efficient, but a whole load better than a splash of emulsion

As a word of caution,you may be advised to test a small area first to check if there is any adverse reaction to any bonding agent used in the ply.

I’m guessing there won’t be but better safe than sorry especially if it’s a solvent based preservative?

On 27/06/2021 at 18:39, cb300 said:

I don’t think they’ll change to a composite floor that would put the Unicorn above the Alicanto for spec in my mind. I admit the Bailey floor system seems very outdated along with the rubbish stable doors they love to fit .Personally I like Swift for the floor technology and quality one piece door with automotive style handles ..but unfortunately the beds are too small for us 😔

Hi 

we have an Alicanto currently. I think of it as a wider Unicorn - apart from width they are same spec?