Any one tow a Buccaneer with a Sorento?

Hi guys,

Currently own a 2019 Sorento GT Line S which I tow my Affinity 550 with, my Affinity is plated to 1500kg, the Sorento handles this with ease, however I really want a Buccaneer, which is a lot heavier at nearly 2000kg, now on paper at least the Sorento should handle the Buccaneer (albeit the 100kg towball limit could be an issue) but I would like other peoples opinions and ideally any one who has towed a 2000Kg caravan with a Sorento. I think deep down I know I need a heavier more powerful car and this will dash my dream of a Buccaneer but safety of my family and other road users is key here. I did read that some one bought a Discovery Sport for their Buccaneer and that is even lighter than my car!

Look forward to hearing peoples opinions.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi, what's the kerb weight of the Sorrento? 

I have a Sorrento KX3 auto, and have recently gone from van at 1500kg to one at 1700kg.

Whilst the car still has sufficient power and weight  to tow the extra weight of my van, I can certainly tell the difference with more gear changes on the auto box and heavier foot on the accelerator.

I would think 2000kg will affect performance quite noticeably from your 1500kg current load, and will certainly push it much closer towards the top end of the kerbweight of the car.

Much would depend on what drop in performance you are prepared to accept, and whether you are happy towing at much closer to 100%  of kerb weight.

1979kg according to specs, but that is what it shows for all models. Mine being the highest spec is probably heavier but don’t know the exact weight.  As I say on paper it’s ok

5 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

I have a Sorrento KX3 auto, and have recently gone from van at 1500kg to one at 1700kg.

Whilst the car still has sufficient power and weight  to tow the extra weight of my van, I can certainly tell the difference with more gear changes on the auto box and heavier foot on the accelerator.

I would think 2000kg will affect performance quite noticeably from your 1500kg current load, and will certainly push it much closer towards the top end of the kerbweight of the car.

Much would depend on what drop in performance you are prepared to accept, and whether you are happy towing at much closer to 100%  of kerb weight.

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I don’t think I’m going to risk it. I was looking at a Crusader at 1800kg and now after reading your post am having second thoughts about that. 

I tow a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona which has a MTPLM of 1756 with a 2015 Sorento KX3.

Fantastic tow car (in my opinion) - this is my 3rd!

Cheers

Paul

If you’re seeking a true kerb weight figure then the only way you’ll find it is by getting it onto a weigh bridge laden/prepared as per whatever is the true definition of it. Be aware that published kerb weights can be the minimum of a range of specs. Out of interest what is given as the Mass In Service on your V5 registration document?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Hi, used to tow a Crusader Sirocco with a Santa Fe (sister car to Sorrento) 

Caravan had an mtplm  of about 1950 if I remember correctly.

197bhp and never really felt underpowered, sure you won’t win any traffic light grand prix’s but  should easily keep up with traffic.

The kerb weight question is interesting because I’m sure ours was quoted at 1975kg but on a weigh bridge was actually 2050kg on half filled fuel tank.

Driven sensibly and loaded correctly I would imagine you would be ok.

Duncan 

40 minutes ago, IwannaBuccaneer said:

1979kg according to specs, but that is what it shows for all models. Mine being the highest spec is probably heavier but don’t know the exact weight.  As I say on paper it’s ok

This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear. I don’t think I’m going to risk it. I was looking at a Crusader at 1800kg and now after reading your post am having second thoughts about that. 

If I had the space at home for a twin axle, I would be happy to go for one plated at about 1800kg and tow it with the Sorrento.

There was a chap on site a few weeks ago towing a twin axle buccaneer with a Ford Kuga. Now I wouldn't fancy that combination at any price!

Edited by hp100425ev

My Sorento KX4 towed my 1800 kg Lunar Delta with ease. I currently have a Santa Fe, kissing cousin of the KIA, which is equally as good. It does help that both have self leveling suspension, which your KIA may or may not have.

You will be on the limit weight wise, if it’s a new Buccaneer. Nose weight I can only get mine down to around 125kg that’s with the battery behind the axle . Check also insurance with the caravan about the caravan weight being less than the car 

. I swapped out a 2012 xc90 because of the nose weight to a custom van 

Edited by outnumbered

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

+1...There has been a similar post regarding noise weight issues somewhere on this forum.

7 hours ago, simon100 said:

My Sorento KX4 towed my 1800 kg Lunar Delta with ease. I currently have a Santa Fe, kissing cousin of the KIA, which is equally as good. It does help that both have self leveling suspension, which your KIA may or may not have.

Yes I do have SLS. 

7 hours ago, outnumbered said:

You will be on the limit weight wise, if it’s a new Buccaneer. Nose weight I can only get mine down to around 125kg that’s with the battery behind the axle . Check also insurance with the caravan about the caravan weight being less than the car 

. I swapped out a 2012 xc90 because of the nose weight to a custom van 

Yes this is another one of my concerns. The tow ball weight that is. Insurance is fine. I think I am going to have to upgrade the car (which I don’t really like anyway) to something more suitable. 

Thank you everyone for your input. 

I have the same Sorento, same year too. We have a Sterling Searcher plated at 1900Kg and the Sorento pulls it with ease. Quite economical too. This is our third (and best) Sorento and all three were fine at this weight.

I can't get the nose weight of my Delta below 125, despite there being almost nothing in the front locker! Running with this nose weight has not affected stability or towability with the Sorento or Santa Fe.

I have a 2014 Santa Fe, same as the Sorento underneath, it tows my 2012 Conqueror 645 plated at 1800kgs with ease.

Obviously, with this weight of van, you're never going to be in the 'don't know the van is there' scenario, but it's effortless towing.

Plenty around towing bucs with Ford s max, kuga and soentos v happily albeit the biggest heaviest model. The 100kg noseweight would be the only issue. Only one gas would be a must. Load the car not the van. Power will not be an issue in any way if the parkers guide is correct at 261bhp. Our Navara has 190and is an easy tow with our buc.

11 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Plenty around towing bucs with Ford s max, kuga and soentos v happily albeit the biggest heaviest model. The 100kg noseweight would be the only issue. Only one gas would be a must. Load the car not the van. Power will not be an issue in any way if the parkers guide is correct at 261bhp. Our Navara has 190and is an easy tow with our buc.

Mine is a 2019 top spec one with mass in service of 2069kg according to log book. Power  is 197bhp. The figures you have seen are from the newer hybrid version which has a much lower towing capacity. I think the car would be fine just the nose weight issue and I do only have one gas bottle any way (safefill). Never seen the point in two.  Weirdly in Australia my car is rated as 200kg on the tow ball.  I do generally load car so awning in car just the clothes go in bags over axle of caravan along with aqua roll and waste master. 

Sounds to me like a fantastic tow car-197 bhp is more than enough-sticking to the speed limits will be your issue! Just the towball weight to watch-many have achieved this quite happily and am sure it's a goer!  

Towed our Swift Conq  645 at 1900 kgs no problem with a 2014 KX2. Still the best tow car we've ever had.

There's someone very near us who tows a twin axle Buccaneer with a Sorento. Unsure of model of caravan as it's tucked away and car has a personal reg. but it's a 2015 to 2018 pre facelift version. 

Out of interest, what's the nose weight on the label on the Sorento towbar? On ours, I think its referred to as S value. 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Towed our Swift Conq  645 at 1900 kgs no problem with a 2014 KX2. Still the best tow car we've ever had.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

There's someone very near us who tows a twin axle Buccaneer with a Sorento. Unsure of model of caravan as it's tucked away and car has a personal reg. but it's a 2015 to 2018 pre facelift version. 

This gives me hope then, mine is the 2018 facelift, mechanically the same just different lights, wheels etc.

2 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

Sounds to me like a fantastic tow car-197 bhp is more than enough-sticking to the speed limits will be your issue! Just the towball weight to watch-many have achieved this quite happily and am sure it's a goer!  

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Out of interest, what's the nose weight on the label on the Sorento towbar? On ours, I think its referred to as S value. 

100kg

Edited by IwannaBuccaneer

We too have friends we've not seen for years and just remembered they now tow with a sorrento. Will email them .

1 hour ago, Jezzerb said:

We too have friends we've not seen for years and just remembered they now tow with a sorrento. Will email them .

Thank you 

He says he hasn't really paid much attention to nose weight-it sits well on the car -slight nose down on the caravan and tows a treat! Very happy with it! Sorry I can't be more help but am sure you'll not have any issues! J

17 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

He says he hasn't really paid much attention to nose weight-it sits well on the car -slight nose down on the caravan and tows a treat! Very happy with it! Sorry I can't be more help but am sure you'll not have any issues! J

Awesome, thank you for doing that! Just got to find one now!