VIP bathroom lock problem

I brought a coachman 545 vip last year 2020 the bathroom door has a magnet lock which has broken for the 2nd time in a year has anybody else experienced this problem I am thinking of trying to change to a conventional type of lock as I do believe these locks to be a constant problem any advice would be welcome thanks 

Mine stopped working on our 2021 VIP 545, which we only got on 20 April.

My first thought was to fit a traditional handle, but having stripped the whole handle and mechanism down, I don’t think it would be a simple job. The latch in the door that the handle spindle goes through is quite complex and much bigger than the ones on a traditional handle.  The receiver plate in the door frame does not line up with the spindle of the handle, and it would take some woodwork skills to sort it.

I have discovered two things with it.

Firstly the door has to be pushed closed with a good solid push and without turning the handle.

Secondly, on ours, the gap between the door edge and the receiver plate was far too wide at about 8mm, and this is too wide for the magnet to provide the necessary pull on the latch.

I have  placed some spacers behind the receiver plate to close the gap down to about 2-3mm, and it now works a lot better.

Have to wait and see how long for.

Edited by hp100425ev

19 minutes ago, The road toad said:

Not sure if our bathroom door even has a lock!

Its not a lock, just a latch, like a normal door but a magnet draws the latch into the receiver rather than the action of turning and releasing  the handle,  but you turn the handle to open the door.

Edited by hp100425ev

The 2021 demonstrator VIP 520 we looked at last month the lock on the bathroom door wasn't working.  Is it another case of over complicating simple things? We've still ordered the VIP 520, but now expecting a few snags after reading various posts on here and FB Coachman Owners Club.  The glass cooker hob lid coming loose and flying off is another potential issue, along with the new Dometic fridge with the door opening both ways I hear also has design issues, but never been impressed with Dometic products.

On a positive still looking forward to getting our first ever Coachman hopefully due at the dealer in early July.

On 20/06/2021 at 11:02, hp100425ev said:

My first thought was to fit a traditional handle, but having stripped the whole handle and mechanism down, I don’t think it would be a simple job. The latch in the door that the handle spindle goes through is quite complex and much bigger than the ones on a traditional handle.  The receiver plate in the door frame does not line up with the spindle of the handle, and it would take some woodwork skills to sort it.

Firstly the door has to be pushed closed with a good solid push and without turning the handle.

Secondly, on ours, the gap between the door edge and the receiver plate was far too wide at about 8mm, and this is too wide for the magnet to provide the necessary pull on the latch.

I have  placed some spacers behind the receiver plate to close the gap down to about 2-3mm, and it now works a lot better.

thanks for your reply at least i know now it would be a problem to fit a new lock and like you i have altered the receiver plate which worked fine for a time but has failed again so have contacted the dealer again see how it pans out at least i now know its a problem so many thanks for your reply 

On 20/06/2021 at 20:45, thensum said:

The 2021 demonstrator VIP 520 we looked at last month the lock on the bathroom door wasn't working.  Is it another case of over complicating simple things? We've still ordered the VIP 520, but now expecting a few snags after reading various posts on here and FB Coachman Owners Club.  The glass cooker hob lid coming loose and flying off is another potential issue, along with the new Dometic fridge with the door opening both ways I hear also has design issues, but never been impressed with Dometic products.

On a positive still looking forward to getting our first ever Coachman hopefully due at the dealer in early July.

yes the coachman is a nice van i would make absolutely  sure with the dealer that they would be ok to change the lock as and when it goes wrong because it will be a problem without a doubt also we had the problem with the cooker glass hob lid when it came off whilst traveling it damaged one cupboard and bathroom door put this down to lack of pdi when caravan was delivered from coachman thanks for your coments 

On 20/06/2021 at 12:06, hp100425ev said:

Its not a lock, just a latch, like a normal door but a magnet draws the latch into the receiver rather than the action of turning and releasing  the handle,  but you turn the handle to open the door.

yes it is an over complicated latch which i think is of poor quality but thanks for your reply

On 20/06/2021 at 11:02, hp100425ev said:

Well now I know how long the magnetic latch will last for.

The answer is 3 days, at home.

Just arrived on site and its failed again. Now faced with 3 weeks of trying to keep the door closed whilst travelling from Site to Site and whilst using the bathroom.

If any Coachman owner of a VIP with the magnetic catch on the bathroom door has a solution, please let us know the answer.

Clearly this a poorly designed item but unfortunately Coachman do not respond to emails,  so it will be into the Dealer when we get home to see if they can find a solution.

Heres the latest update on Coachman's magnetic bathroom handle.

Every time we arrive on site, the handle is locked up and the door won’t open.

A few times of being heavy handed and rapidly moving the handle up and down and the catch releases and the door opens.

The magnetic latch then doesn’t work, but pushing the door shut and trying to turn the handle upwards (it doesn’t actually go above the horizontal), eventually releases the latch and the magnetic catch works properly, until we leave site and move on to the next one when the process starts again.

It seems that the movement of the van in transit somehow locks up the mechanism.

Not sure how long it will be before the rough treatment causes the mechanism to fail completely.

I will try to get the Dealer to request a new one from Coachman under warranty, but at the moment they want me to take the van in and leave it with them for a week while they check it out.

I have found a place selling the mechanism for £11.95, so might just buy one and avoid the warranty issue.

Not convinced a new mechanism will be any better though.

my one failed for the third time only had the van a year contacted marquis from who we brought the van from and said i do beleive these locks are a problem and can you guess  no reply from them after 2 weeks  would be interesting to see how this problem pans out 

Posted (edited)

Im back in limbo in a way.

Arrived at Brighton CMC site last Sunday, and surprise surprise, the door handle worked perfectly despite travel over some pretty bumpy roads.

I had expected to have to be rough with it again and perhaps take it all apart again.

The door roses have a chrome finished overlay on a plastic back piece. These back pieces are each held in place by two screws, fixed top and bottom on one side and side to side on the other, presumably so the screws do not interfere with each other. 

Now, it seems to me that the screws may be a little too long and at least one screw on each side goes into the plastic latch mechanism, so I wonder whether this interferes with the operation of the magnetic latch. 

So I had it in mind on arrival at Brighton when taking it apart again to put shorter screws in to see if that helped at all.

Now I will wait and see what happens at the next stop this coming Sunday.

In the meantime I have ordered a new mechanism (£11.99) which should now be behind the door at home, just in case, because there’s no way I want to take the van into Campbells and leave it for a week as they want me to do.

I was chatting to a chap at our previous stop, who had a 2020 VIP 565 (single beds model) and he had not experienced any issues at all with his bathroom door magnetic latch! I wonder whether the fact that his bathroom is at the rear rather than midships has a bearing.

Edited by hp100425ev

My Knaus bathroom door, also at the rear of the van, has a magnetic door latch which I expect is similar if not the same as yours. Works perfectly well and never had a problem. I wonder if your problems are more down to the quality/accuracy of its installation rather than any deficiency in the latch itself.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

My Knaus bathroom door, also at the rear of the van, has a magnetic door latch which I expect is similar if not the same as yours. Works perfectly well and never had a problem. I wonder if your problems are more down to the quality/accuracy of its installation rather than any deficiency in the latch itself.

I did look at alignment when I had it all out. Certainly on mine, the latch doesn't close precisely into the centre of the receiver plate, but there is some leeway there and it doesn't seem to be sufficiently out to cause an issue. Also the handles move freely so the spindle seems to be central and not causing any issues.

Currently it works perfectly on site so that would suggest alignment is ok. It's the "locking up" when on the move which is so strange.

I can't see why being midships rather than at the rear should make any difference at all but it makes you wonder.

Edited by hp100425ev

• 4 weeks later...

hp100425ev

Hi there,

would you be able to share where you found a replacement?

I have tried and can't find them...

Many thanks in advance