Route Planning Using Sat Nav & Trucker Map?

Have looked at the first 4 pages of posts on this thread and haven't noticed any mention of trucker maps?

We normally use Tom Tom (standard, not camper) but have had multiple issues over the years being sent on stupid narrow detours or using minor roads when, on later inspection better main road routes were available.

The problem seems to be Tom Toms route definitions (eco, shortest, quickest) These are not defined but shortest is stupid for caravans. Eco is an unknown quantity and quickest seems to be the most sensible but has given us problems.

We  recently thought of going Camper but 2 friends have said it doesn't solve every problem and they have been disappointed with some routes chosen.

So we bought the Philips trucker map (as it is 1 1/2 miles to the inch, not the AA or other ones on a smaller scale) We then use the map and force Tom Tom to go OUR preferred route using the waypoints option.

We want to keep it simple and map/sat nav combination gives flexibility and allows keeping track of progress etc.

We don't want to go all electronic due to possible lack of connection and the fact that there may be unanticipated problems with any method if the exact route isn't known in advance.

Does anyone know the Tom Tom route planning definitions, have any other comments or improvements (especially recommendations for European maps at a reasonable price) or this may simply be a suggestion that is useful for some?

I would think that TT route planning definitions will be highly confidential.

As for maps, in my experience the Michelin European atlas is as good as you need for most purposes, and for France the Michelin France atlas cannot be beaten. Both available from WHS.

Best advice I can think of is to use a Sat Nav to assist you on the road and to certainly not rely on it totally. 

I have, on a fair few occasions, overridden my (Camper) satnav (especially in France!) as the direction “Turn left/right”  or similar was into a road I didn’t like the look of (narrow usually)  and I therefore carried straight on.

The satnav has always “recalculated”  onto a more suitable road. This sort of issue, in my experience, happens because a satnav sometimes tries to “cut off a corner” and save a short distance. By carrying straight on another junction of better roads usually quickly appears. 

Satnav algorithms are designed to keep you on the highest grade of road available, but the system isn’t totally infallible ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Suggest you just use the map & forget the sat nav. It worked for me for 40odd yrs of truck driving & still does now. I’m sure if I attempted to use a sat nav I would get into as much trouble as you. 

That’s fine if you have someone in the passengers seat who can navigate with a map! A luxury I don’t have :rolleyes: (brilliant cook and companion, hopeless map reader) 

Maps are all well and good for distance, but when it comes to “the final mile” when abroad a satnav is really useful, especially in France where the signage is usually right on a junction rather than the U.K. where you get plenty of warning prior to the junction.

9 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Satnav algorithms are designed to keep you on the highest grade of road available, but the system isn’t totally infallible ! 

I guess Mitsubish didn’t get that memo. The outlander I had a few years back would always try to take you down every back road it could, irrespective of  which setting used. 

10 hours ago, Camperdom said:

Suggest you just use the map & forget the sat nav. It worked for me for 40odd yrs of truck driving & still does now. I’m sure if I attempted to use a sat nav I would get into as much trouble as you. 

I used to think the same, but all changed when I bought a sat nav....especially if you come across  diversions on busy roads...... For any new journey,  I first I check the last mile or so on google map satellite,  at road level,  then use my Phillips large scale map book to plot my route, finally set my sat nav....... and off we go......I use a standard car (Snooper) Sat Nav, but you can buy specific caravan/motorhome ones, where you can enter your vehicle/Caravan dimensions to aid the route plan...it also gives you  the  speed limit  for the  roads you are travelling on and other hazard alerts.....

Edited by gtepete

33 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I guess Mitsubish didn’t get that memo. The outlander I had a few years back would always try to take you down every back road it could, irrespective of  which setting used. 

Depends what the routing algorithm is set at. I once (inadvertently) change my “normal” setting of quickest, to shortest route. I discovered some very interesting roads on that (very long time wise) journey.  When I checked later the distance “saved” was about 3 miles, at the cost of nearly an hour! 

I always use our TomTom SatNav when touring abroad in France or Spain in the MH plus it doubles up when fixed to our 250cc scooter we take with us for sightseeing. The more remote the location the better the experience.

I tend to just check the sat nav route to make sure it looks right but after that look up the site operators route for the last leg and use that if it differs from the sat nav.  I also check out the road to entrance for the site on Street view just to make sure I know what I am looking for. 

Site directions, lengthy consultation on Google earth, with sat nav as a guide.

Works for me, ever since the sat nav told me to take the next right turn and half way round the corner a car coming the other way was flashing his lights, stopped and wound his window down. His comment was “you don’t want to go down there with that thing mate, the car wouldn’t fit through never mind the box!”

Maybe I’m just too tight (Yorkshire born) to buy a truck or caravan sat nav when I have one in the car.

I’m surprised at how many people seem to still use dedicated sat nav , I had a Tom Tom which which found its way into the drawer for redundant gadgets long time since .

Instead of updating sat nav invested in a smart phone and just use google maps easy to use lots of options for planning routes maps updated reasonably quickly, 

I now have a vehicle which supports Apple car play nice big screen easy to see and voice search destination ( most of the time ) 

All the above makes dedicated sat nav for me now a none starter just my preference , having said all that it’s not infallible and just pushing the button and and stepping on the gas without checking when towing could still lead to a interesting journey.

My boss rides shotgun with the road atlas and any anticipated errors by the driver or sat nav are addressed with counter instructions. Speeding offences are terminated with a slap on the leg.  Discourteous drivers nearby are spoken to with appropriate sign language enhancements.   

9 minutes ago, Ern said:

My boss rides shotgun with the road atlas and any anticipated errors by the driver or sat nav are addressed with counter instructions. Speeding offences are terminated with a slap on the leg.  Discourteous drivers nearby are spoken to with appropriate sign language enhancements.   

Could we meet up so that your boss can give my boss some map reading training.

First thing I have to do when she picks up a map is turn it the right way up.

I usually end up writing instructions down with road numbers or names, left or right hand turns and roundabouts or traffic lights so that she can just read them out to me.

For some reason, maps are a big no no.

Edited by hp100425ev

I'm lucky enough to be a member of the TomTom beta team and have access to a variety of TomTom satnav devices, thought I should say this before I start.

I use the TomTom Camper device and I would recommend it when towing a caravan, its not perfect but generally good, the key points being:

• It's most important to enter the correct vehicle dimensions in before you start using the device.
  • Ensure that the correct vehicle profile is selected, eg Car & Caravan, it's not obvious which profile is being used and this is an issue I have logged.
  • On a few occasions in France the map data is sometimes out of sync, eg you are directed to make a turn and the road is still being built.
  • Live traffic & speed cameras are good.
  • Toll road details are useful.
  • Final directions to site are easy especially if you add the relevant points of interest.

A satnav should be used as an aid and I always check routes prior to departure for two reasons, firstly to ensure there's no obvious errors and secondly to compare routes with and without toll roads. Toll roads are good and easy ways to travel but can become costly, sometimes there's other routes that add 10-30mins to the route and avoid toll roads and are generally nicer routes.

I generally have my iPhone connected and use Apple CarPlay and TomTom which supports CarPlay to compare the routes eg standard TomTom route without caravan and TomTom Camper with caravan.

Slightly off topic, but if using toll roads in France a tag could be easier and quicker, the payment booths are on the passenger side and if no passenger you have to get out of your vehicle to pay. Also there's dedicated lanes that are specifically for drivers with tags.

I still maintain that Memory Map is the best sat nav

I run it on a 7" tablet on the dashboard and i got the whole of the UK  Landranger series for just under £100 (thats £1800+ of paper maps)

It holds your current postion in the centre of the screen and you can zoom in and out

You can plot a route on your PC and then upload to the tablet which then appears as a red line on the Map

In my mind its the best of both worlds - a proper map to read but moves with you automatically

I just use my android phone for probably the last mile of a journey if its somewhere new

3 hours ago, AndyPoole said:

I still maintain that Memory Map is the best sat nav

I run it on a 7" tablet on the dashboard and i got the whole of the UK  Landranger series for just under £100 (thats £1800+ of paper maps)

It holds your current postion in the centre of the screen and you can zoom in and out

Landranger map series are very good but are only maps and don’t offer the options of google maps or many dedicated sat navs can .

Both give the option of planning a journey at home and downloading to your own device , but also have the advantage of traffic conditions and options to reroute .

23 hours ago, DougS said:

We normally use Tom Tom (standard, not camper) 

I also use a Tomtom satnav in the car but when preparing a route for towing, I also use Tomtom Route planning which is on the website.   I prepare the route on the computer by entering the start point - my home address, then enter the first planned stop.   Then a second stop if it's required, and finally the destination.   Then there's an option to leave 'now' or at a planned time.   Then if I'm pulling the caravan, I change the mode from 'car' to 'truck'.   This may alter the route slightly and also the duration of the journey.   Finally, I click on 'send stops' and the entire route is sent down to the car and next time I start the car, I find it on my Tomtom under 'MyRoutes'.   

I also previously 'drive' the final couple of miles by using Street view on Google Maps.

This is my journey for next week as it's prepared on the computer.   It has already been sent to the car

436156391_Tomtom.jpg.4b9b5d566ccae3378cf68b4e34b2170e.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I use Waze on my iPhone and connect it to my cars screen via Apply CarPlay.

Waze gives you warnings of hazards ahead, such as vehicles blocking the carriageway, police, potholes, road works, speed cameras etc. All this info is given by other Waze users tapping their screens to alert others.

When alerted to a hazard, you have the option of confirming the hazard is still there, or inputting that it has gone.

Not everyone can afford a car with CarPlay. 

And Waze does not give you warnings of everything ahead, it only gives you warnings of what others (who should be watching the road ahead rather than playing with their phone, which, in case you are unaware is illegal)  have inputted.

And YOU  should also be watching the road ahead rather than being distracted by “Tapping your phone” to confirm or deny anything is still present.  I am sure a court would deem that to be the same as sending a text! 

Lecture over? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I wonder how Mr Plod adjusted his camper sat nav whilst in France,  let's hope he took his own advice and pulled over first. Obviously as an ex police officer he did.

15 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Lecture over? 

So am I wrong? 

Do you disagree with what I said?

I feel very passionately about road safety having spent many years dealing with the aftermath of serious road crashes, hence my comments.

Distracted drivers have crashes, maybe next time they will collide with you. 

5 minutes ago, Gadger said:

I wonder how Mr Plod adjusted his camper sat nav whilst in France,  let's hope he took his own advice and pulled over first. Obviously as an ex police officer he did.

I set the destination before setting off, if I ignore it at any point I  wait for it to recalculate. What do you do?

Edited by Mr Plodd

I've been using cars with built in sat navs for the last nine years, I've paid for them so I'll use them, mostly for traffic alerts in the UK.

When I've done travel abroad I use michelin maps to plan the route, then load waypoints generated onto the satnav, planning the route is an enjoyable part of the holiday for me.

Exactly the same as you, I too feel passionate about road safety, but any driver, emergency services included, are distracted at some point during every journey they make. You must make your own decisions based on your circumstances, sometimes its better to fiddle a knob , than take your outfit down a dangerous road.