can you add a Isabella Shadow sun canopy to the front of a Isabella Magnum Awning

Beverley

Hi, 

We have a Isabella Magnum moonlight awning (older version) and advice if you can attach a Isabella shadow to the front of the moonlight and possibly the sides.

If so, what size 3m or 3.6m?  Trying to have a versatile set up, use on caravan only plus on our awning.  Maybe an adaption may be needed.

I know the Isabella Eclipse can fit on front of awning but not the sides (according to Isabella) and direct on caravan but its a lot more expensive

Thank you

Beverley

No you cant fix the shadow to an awning.  We have a Ventura Marlin Porch and the Eclipse.  Its the Eclipse you need, its also a lot more stable than the Shadow,  

If you you tube "Eclipse on a Magnum", you should see the video of Steve Biggs from Isabella showing you how the Eclipse fits.  As the Shadow only has legs and not cross members it wont work.

The front "Shadow Nets" are a real asset with the lower sun angles of late afternoons as the Shadow only has a 2 metre depth. A friend made their own of a bed sheet costing a few pounds. The nets again are best not left up in the wind though the Shadow itself can stand up remarkably well.

Thank your for your reply Wonky Donkey,  I have looked at the suggested video and agree the Eclipse canopy looks much stronger due to more poles, however it is more costly.

Another thing Im confused about is sizes - The eclipse canopy specifically for a magnum front, I have been told, has an awning rail size of 265cm  - a magnum awning is 340 wide, so how does it fit size wise, from the video the eclipse canopy is attached on each corner of the magnum awning so how does it stretch fit across 340cm awning ???

Another member JTQ from 2013 posted " on their magnum they have used a 3.6m Isabella shadow as a front

canopy with a little adaptation using 3 inverted 'clip on blocks' (I interpret these to mean Isabella's "fix on's" used to attach  roof poles next to caravan),  attaching the inverted clip on blocks to  the shadows beading and spacing them out to fit over the Magnums front tube hooks (I assume he means the awnings front canopy short poles). 

My husband thought he could put a Shadow Canopy on Magnum front by using a veranda pole encasing it with the grey plastic profiles ( which fit against either side of the door to prevent drafts), the shadow beading can then 

threaded through the profiles and placed across the top front of Magnum  attaching to the short canopy poles using the veranda clamps at each end.  

Has anyone else tried either of the above adaptations, if so, do they work  and what size sun canopies do you

need, is a Shadow 3.6 the right size for front of Magnum?

Is 265cm  Eclipse the correct width for front of Magnum?

Hope someone can clarify the above please

Beverley

I have a magnum eclipse.  The magnum actually tappers from van to front of awning and the sizes are the foot print with the sides slightly splayed. That accounts for 5he size difference.  Yes you could adapt a shadow to attach to the front of the magnum using a few variations on Isabella’s kit.  Using a couple of veranda poles and clamps with the dual click profile would work. But without rafter poles I don’t  think you would be able to achieve a sun shade that would properly shed water.  

Given that any pooling on the roof would soon overcome the dual click. The eclipse with its central rafters is quite taunt. I doubt you could achieve the same with the shadow.  Plus the frame of the eclipse puts the stresses into the magnum and the van in the right  places.  Transferring the load directly whereas the awning poles idea would not. By the time you have purchased all the extra fittings the savings might not be that much. 

IMHO I would go for the eclipse every time. It makes a super sun shade on the van on its own as well.  They crop up on eBay where I got mine for less than the cost of a new shadow. 

Thank you for your information and help Alan,  the sizing issue now understood, yes, i hadn't thought about the pooling of water. I agree with you the eclipse is far superior, but takes longer to erect.

Yeah I'm looking on eBay etc

In your experience, do you find pitches have the space for awning and the eclipse.

Best Regards Beverley

We do most of our spring summer and autumn on CL’s. Or rally’s They mostly have room.   You will find the eclipse keeps the rain of the doors in bad weather. In hot weather it makes a big difference in keeping the awning cooler

Come the winter we may be on CC or CCC Club sites.  They usually do not. But during* the winter we only put the eclipse up on the van as a rain shelter.  We don’t use the magnum at that time of the year.  The eclipse takes just a few mins to put up and is surprisingly stable. I wouldn’t want to use a shadow much at that time of year.  I use the eclipse on the van with 3 fix ons.  We have two normal rafters and an old Isabella rafter as an extra central rafter.  Just that bit stronger.   

If you have enough room you can also put them up on both sides of the van. Eg magnum on the offside as a bedroom and eclipse over the door as usual

one further point,  I also got hold of an end panel from a fiamma roll out for £30. Fits the eclipse a treat when using it direct onto the van. 

Sorry for the delay in response.  I did reply yesterday but it seems to of got lost.  Give the people at Isabella a call re the sizing query.  When we purchased ours from a dealer, Isabella phoned me just to check I was ordering the right size for our awning. Ours was a 3.9m. As to the cost, if you shop around there are some interest free deals to be had with up to 10 monthly instalments.  That's what I did with ours. (Glossop Awnings).  Re the pooling of water, we have had in the past numerous canopies on different vans, they all pooled including the shadow except the Eclipse, it really is a good bit of kit and so versatile, looked after it will last you years.

I put up an second hand Eclipse for the first time last week on the front of a 340 Magnum. Watched the Isabella YouTube first and no issue. Good bit of kit. 

On 21/06/2021 at 17:36, ascsbe said:
On 20/06/2021 at 18:17, Beverley said:

Thank you for your information and help Alan,  the sizing issue now understood, yes, i hadn't thought about the pooling of water. I agree with you the eclipse is far superior, but takes longer to erect.

Yeah I'm looking on eBay etc

In your experience, do you find pitches have the space for awning and the eclipse.

Best Regards Beverley

Thanks to all your replies and very useful information,  We decided to go for the Eclipse and lucky to find a

nearly new second hand on, Its now arrived and looking very sturdy.   Very pleased with purchase, I will

hopefully be using it next week on holiday.  Thanks Guys Appreciate your help

On 21/06/2021 at 17:36, ascsbe said:

I put up an second hand Eclipse for the first time last week on the front of a 340 Magnum. Watched the Isabella YouTube first and no issue. Good bit of kit. 

We now have one and also watched YouTube.  Enjoy

Great. You will find it very easy

I too have a Magnum with a second hand Eclipse. Fantastic bit of kit and so adaptable, use it with or without the Magnum. Robust, well made and so easy to erect, dry and store.  I

f fitting it to your awning, do check out the YouTube video as you need to fit some extra brackets called F-Links, but only first time, to your outer poles.

Dave