Recommend jockey wheel for loose gravel

I have a slight issue every time I put the caravan back onto our gravel drive (it has done the same on particularly loose hard standings as well) with the motor mover whereby the tyres float across lovely, but the jockey wheel is a thin plastic thing that really digs into the gravel and sometimes even refuses to move as it's cut in/sunk so much. I'm thinking if I replace this jockey wheel with a wide, rubber one with an actual tyre it will alleviate my issue. Does anyone have any recommendations which one to go for, or any advice? Also, can I just replace the actual wheel or am I looking at replacing the whole winding bar thing as well? I did plan to replace it myself, it doesn't look rocket science (Bailey Phoenix 650). 

Edited by philip697

Use short lengths of floorboard. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Phillip697, yes of course you can have a fatter tyre. . All sorts are available. Look on line and order one 

.....but if you are buying a replacement wheel make sure the diameter of the wheel and the diameter and length of the axle will fit your assembly.

...and make sure the width of the tyre is not too wide to fit in the fork.

I too have a gravel drive and find  that a pneumatic jockey wheel is far better than the narrow, solid tyre.

It is probably simpler to buy the complete jockey wheel assembly as a pneumatic tyre is almost certain to be wider than your current one.

Small, pneumatic tyres as prone to losing pressure over time.  A small leak will have a significant effect as the volume of the tyre is so small.  I find it best to support the hitch on a stand and take the weight off the jockey wheel when the caravan is unused,

Edited by DACS

Another one here with a gravel drive.  The standard factory-fit plastic tyre was torn to bits within a month.  I replaced it with this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323937590152.  The tread is rubber, not plastic and after 4 years use it is still in very good condition.

I have found the Kartt to be really good on gravel - I purchased this one which is the same as what the CMC sell.

The whole thing is so much more sturdy than what came with the van, not just the wheel.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions 

6 hours ago, 8ftWanderer said:

I have found the Kartt to be really good on gravel - I purchased this one which is the same as what the CMC sell.

The whole thing is so much more sturdy than what came with the van, not just the wheel.

This looks like maybe the ideal solution, looking around and everyone seems to like this one. I think this is what I'll swap to. I'll check some vids, but I assume you just open the hinge on the bracket that holds it (making sure steadies are down!), take old one out, pop new one in, reconnect bracket?

Hi Phillip

I needed to do a like-for-like replacement of my AL-KO jockey wheel (just because of age) and got this genuine AL-KO pneumatic one for a good price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382707796821?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

My previous one had been on the caravan for nearly 10 years and not had any problems other than pumping up occasionally. Have used on gravel and tarmac with no problems

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, philip697 said:

This looks like maybe the ideal solution, looking around and everyone seems to like this one. I think this is what I'll swap to. I'll check some vids, but I assume you just open the hinge on the bracket that holds it (making sure steadies are down!), take old one out, pop new one in, reconnect bracket?

I found this instructional video helpful.

It is straight forward, just take your time.

27 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

I found this instructional video helpful.

It is straight forward, just take your time.

Mines a bit different to that, it's on the side of the a-frame with a hinged bracket rather than inside the a frame, maybe easier?

31 minutes ago, philip697 said:

Mines a bit different to that, it's on the side of the a-frame with a hinged bracket rather than inside the a frame, maybe easier?

Have a look at this video

6 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

Have a look at this video

Cheers for that. I could have sworn you could just open this bracket and most of that is unnecessary, but I'll get out to have it and have a closer look

1 hour ago, philip697 said:

Cheers for that. I could have sworn you could just open this bracket and most of that is unnecessary, but I'll get out to have it and have a closer look

Agreed - just open the bracket.

13 hours ago, SamD said:

Agreed - just open the bracket.

:Plus1:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324253522632

I have this one which works very well.  I used some nylon spacer washers so that it fits correctly between the forks.

Edited by Leedslad