Butane V Propane

Propane burns hotter then Butane.

Even on the lowest setting my gas hob burns too hot using Butane, saucepans seem to boil not simmer and this is on the smallest burner. Perhaps taking the lids off would help but  that releases a lot of steam into the caravan, perhaps turning the gas valve down on the supply may help.

How do others manage when using Propane?  

Don't say you don't boil or simmer.

macafee2 

Not sure you have things the right way around here. 

You say that Propane burns hotter than Butane, but when you are using Butane there is too much heat available and then ask how others get on using Propane :blink: :blink:

Butane = Blue cylinder

Propane = Orange cylinder

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Not sure you have things the right way around here. 

You say that Propane burns hotter than Butane, but when you are using Butane there is too much heat available and then ask how others get on using Propane :blink: :blink:

Butane = Blue cylinder

Propane = Orange cylinder

I mean what I ask :) I find Butane or my gas rings too hot and my saucepans seem to boil.

If Propane is hotter then Butane, how do those that use Propane get on?

macafee2

Ah, gotcha now, sorry !! 

I don’t have any problem with Propane , just turn the control down and the pans simmer. 

Just a thought, what regulator are you using as older regulators run at different pressures for Propane and Butane. Newer ones are universal 

This post has been totally changed since being originally posted :mellow:

Edited by Mr Plodd

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ah, gotcha now, sorry !! 

I don’t have any problem with Propane , just turn the control down and the pans simmer. 

Just a thought, what regulator are you using as older regulators run at different pressures for Propane and Butane. Newer ones are universal 

This post has been totally changed since being originally posted :mellow:

I did not change the OP.

Regulator is an original, Truma and is about 10 years old. My goodness how time flies.

macafee2

It certainly helps when members read posts before replying:)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

Indeed it does, but at least I am happy to admit when I get things wrong (like now). :unsure:

1 minute ago, WispMan said:

who is that directed at? If me, what have I missed, if Mr Plodd it was just a misunderstanding

macafee2

1 minute ago, macafee2 said:

who is that directed at? If me, what have I missed, if Mr Plodd it was just a misunderstanding

macafee2

Definitely aimed at me :rolleyes: but thanks for your understanding

:Thankyou:

Edited by Mr Plodd

Just now, john meikle said:

Butane is useless in cold weather.

no it is not. It has its draw backs and does not work/as well as propane but it is not useless

macafee2

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Definitely aimed at me :rolleyes: but thanks for your understanding

:Thankyou:

welcome, i saw it for what it was, a misunderstanding

macafee2

52 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

no it is not. It has its draw backs and does not work/as well as propane but it is not useless

macafee2

Well you obviously haven't been cooking when it's been below freezing :D

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Butane will not gassify below freezing and gets increasingly unwilling to do so as the temperature drops. With most gas lockers stuck out in front and outside a vans heated internals it's likely to interrupt cooking, heating and cooling if being used for those utilities in cold weather. Propane stops gassifying at much lower temperatures, so is the ideal choice for UK caravanners.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Hotter or not is not the only issue - for each unit of volume butane releases more energy than propane when it burns, 126MJ/m3 versus 95.8MJ/m3.

For all intents and purposes both are 'equal' in use other than in cold weather mentioned earlier.

How do others manage with propane? 

Compared with mains gas at home, it’s feeble.  

As Mr Plodd said, you can certainly simmer with it.  But for boiling on the hob - takes ages. Roasting in the oven? Same. Frying steaks? Forget it. Not hot enough, and the steaks are over-cooked long before they’re browned. 

We only use the cooker for what it can cope with, like boiling rice or vegetables, or frying bacon and eggs. 

We chose butane to fuel the Cadac for the above reasons.  The griddle heats to 200c in 5 mins.  Great for steaks. We’ll only ever use the barbie when the temperature’s well above freezing anyway. 

I have wondered about converting to Butane in the caravan. Not working in midwinter wouldn’t be an issue, but not being able to simmer with it would. 

Y Macafee

Do you have different sized burner rings on your cooker?  On our home stove there are two sizes. With the larger size, even on the very lowest setting it’s impossible to get a very gentle simmer, it’s necessary to move any pan needing that to one of the smaller rings.

Can’t say I have noticed the same issue in the caravan, but I am not the cook! besides we rarely use the vans stove preferring a single induction hob, Remoska, and/or microwave. Site electric not expensive Calor whenever possible. If we want to cook anything in the oven we need to start about 2 days before it’s needed, useless thing. 

Cheapskate! Did somebody at the back say Cheapskate?? Stand up the boy who said that !  

Edited by Mr Plodd

Having experienced butane “freezing” due to a late frost, I can tell you that lack of first cup of tea results in grumpy wife and grumpy husband. Not ideal when on holiday. Having to wait for air temperature to rise is a form of torture. 
Propane is the way to go. 

9 hours ago, Benchillian said:

How do others manage with propane? 

Compared with mains gas at home, it’s feeble.  

As Mr Plodd said, you can certainly simmer with it.  But for boiling on the hob - takes ages. Roasting in the oven? Same. Frying steaks? Forget it. Not hot enough, and the steaks are over-cooked long before they’re browned. 

We only use the cooker for what it can cope with, like boiling rice or vegetables, or frying bacon and eggs. 

We chose butane to fuel the Cadac for the above reasons.  The griddle heats to 200c in 5 mins.  Great for steaks. We’ll only ever use the barbie when the temperature’s well above freezing anyway. 

I have wondered about converting to Butane in the caravan. Not working in midwinter wouldn’t be an issue, but not being able to simmer with it would. 

My experience is very different.  If, for example, we were having a ready meal with cooking instructions shown(are not most of them 180c!!) the oven would be up to temperature within a few minutes.  I do add a couple of degrees to the target heat and meal will then cook to time indicated.  Rings work much as at home.

Given that our regulators must be equal (?) what can cause the difference?

11 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Butane will not gassify below freezing and gets increasingly unwilling to do so as the temperature drops. With most gas lockers stuck out in front and outside a vans heated internals it's likely to interrupt cooking, heating and cooling if being used for those utilities in cold weather. Propane stops gassifying at much lower temperatures, so is the ideal choice for UK caravanners.

one post mentioned useless in cold, now we have below freezing. Been camping, motor homing and caravanning for almost 50 years. In all that time I can only recall once having Butane freeze, a second instance may be my mind playing tricks. Now I am not saying Butane is not an issue in zero or close to temperatures but challenge cold.

macafee2

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Having experienced butane “freezing” due to a late frost, I can tell you that lack of first cup of tea results in grumpy wife and grumpy husband. Not ideal when on holiday. Having to wait for air temperature to rise is a form of torture. 
Propane is the way to go. 

We've had butane issues when away for new year once, using propane now, but never noticed any issues with cooking heat.

Water supply was a problem too, had to defrost the system - it was a very cold night.

We are on propane and the hob and oven work great, also the cadac works well from the outside gas outlet so I don't see any reason for us to change to butane.

I was always led to believe that butane does not actually freeze and stays liquid but from 5 deg C downwards becomes increasingly reluctant to vaporize

Could well be wrong of course 

I think that the different experiences relate more to the appliances being used than the choice of gas.  The OP is complaining that it is too hot and others are saying that theirs are not hot enough.

We use LPG to supply our house and run a full-size gas hob and a 26 kW central heating system and both perform perfectly satisfactorily..

Huge difference between domestic and leisure appliances! 

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Huge difference between domestic and leisure appliances! 

Some of the appliances can be the same.  Probably the feed arrangements differ.  I had a domestic 4 burner hob in my Vanmaster.  

22 hours ago, macafee2 said:

Propane burns hotter then Butane.

Even on the lowest setting my gas hob burns too hot using Butane, saucepans seem to boil not simmer and this is on the smallest burner. Perhaps taking the lids off would help but  that releases a lot of steam into the caravan, perhaps turning the gas valve down on the supply may help.

How do others manage when using Propane?  

Don't say you don't boil or simmer.

macafee2 

Most  hob gas taps have a low flame adjuster have a look in the instructions to see if yours has, it should be on the lowest setting for lpg. If it's set incorrectly the flame will not go to minimum setting.