Alde wet heating and thermostat in control panel - high reading

Since new we have always been aware that the the temperature display on the control panel has read high, and adjusted the required temperature up to compensate.

I have wondered exactly where the thermostat is located, and if the higher temperature was due to the thermostat being close to the ceiling.

This trip I happen to have my IR temperature gun with me.

Last night (doors closed, no draughts) I took readings off various surfaces wich all came up much the same.

I then took a reading off the control panel which was about 4C higher than everywhere else and matched the temperature shown on the display.

My tentative conclusion is that the display contains the thermostat and is "self heating" for some reason.

Probably an argument for fitting an external temperature sensor as an accessory although I have no idea how complex this might be.

Are you right to take temps from surfaces?  It is air temp being measured by the system?

15 minutes ago, SamD said:

Are you right to take temps from surfaces?  It is air temp being measured by the system?

Presumably the surface heat reflects the internal heat of the panel and if the thermostat is located within it there's the problem! 

The thermostat is in the panel, although there is a facility to install a remote sensor in a better place. The cable for this plugs in the back of the panel and then you have to ‘hide’ the cable from there to wherever you install the remote sensor.

I think remote sensors are available with different cable lengths.

Alternatively, there is a temperature offset facility through the panel, and if you have found it is regularly 4 degrees out, you can set the compensation to take that into account.

Edited by Frustrated

13 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

The thermostat is in the panel, although there is a facility to install a remote sensor in a better place. The cable for this plugs in the back of the panel and then you have to ‘hide’ the cable from there to wherever you install the remote sensor.

I think remote sensors are available with different cable lengths.

Alternatively, there is a temperature offset facility through the panel, and if you have found it is regularly 4 degrees out, you can set the compensation to take that into account.

That's not quite the case though.  Temperature compensation can only be done accurately by percentage compensation not absolute.

19 minutes ago, SamD said:

That's not quite the case though.  Temperature compensation can only be done accurately by percentage compensation not absolute.

I can only go by what Alde say.

There is a “temperature compensation” facility in the panel, which from memory is up to +or- 5 degrees.

I presume that means that a 4 degree compensation will give a screen reading of 4 degrees higher (or lower) than the sensor actually reads.

Thats good enough for me, whether it is scientifically correct or not.

Edited by Frustrated

19 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I can only go by what Alde say.

There is a “temperature compensation” facility in the panel, which from memory is up to +or- 5 degrees.

I presume that means that a 4 degree compensation will give a screen reading of 4 degrees higher (or lower) than the sensor actually reads.

Thats good enough for me, whether it is scientifically correct or not.

Sorry but it is nothing to do with scientifically correct or not.  Of course what Alde says is correct BUT if you alter at 20° by say 4° that will only be correct at 20°.   I was just pointing out its limitations.

I use the Alde temperature offset to try to get a more accurate reading from the Alde control panel. However I still found that the temperature was not right. I have now also installed the Alde remote sensor at waist height in the seating area and find the temperature is more comfortable.

Frank

42 minutes ago, pfr said:

I use the Alde temperature offset to try to get a more accurate reading from the Alde control panel. However I still found that the temperature was not right. I have now also installed the Alde remote sensor at waist height in the seating area and find the temperature is more comfortable.

Frank

As a matter of interest, whereabouts} in the seating area have you actually installed the remote sensor?

20 minutes ago, hp100425ev said:

As a matter of interest, whereabouts} in the seating area have you actually installed the remote sensor?

It is in the side of the wardrobe on the lounge side. With our layout in the Swift 565 with twin single beds the wardrobe is in the living area rather than the bedroom. 

Frank

If I get too cold, I put the heating on.

If I get too hot, I switch the heating off.

That's the easiest way of dealing with temperature and thermostat - it doesn't matter what figure is shown in the display :D   :D

Iv also found this in the past few weeks. My observations have been the thermostat as well as being poorly positioned up high above the door also picks up a lot of radiant heat coming from the LCD display it’s attached to. To mitigate this I have gone into settings and turned the LCD to dark mode so it switches off. Between this and using the temperature offset to -4degrees I can just about get it right the majority of the time.

Another interesting thing Iv noticed is that the offset increases exponentially as the temperature rises. Up to about 21 degrees internal temperature a -4degrees offset keeps things relatively accurate but as the temp rises above this the offset can’t compensate and when it was 30 degrees temp last week the internal temp was showing 35 degrees with the full maximum offset of -5 being used. As soon as it dropped down into the low 20’s it started to fall more line with where it should be.

This has been covered before. I have an offset of -4 deg but the control is still poor. If you want tighter control an external sensor is the answer. Mine suffers from serious lag. It gives better control of the temp inside the cupboard it's mounted on. After cooking in the van the temp goes up quite high as you would expect however an hour later we start to feel the cold but the temp still showing 24 deg when it's clearly not.  The inside of the cupboard is but no where else😁

I tried this mod some years ago and things improved dramatically.