Help/vents on a 1967 Minster caravan

I bought a vintage caravan , I’m totally a novice hence being totally took , the caravan looked good when I bought it , as time went on damp started appearing and one spot in the corner of ceiling  and wall started to bulge , I decided to remove ply and found the out side vent and vents have all been covered up and concealed with in the frame and ply only visible from out side , could this be the cause of my problem, any advice would be lovely 

1 hour ago, Dinna said:

When a vent is fitted in a van, it's purpose is to get a change of air to the interior of the van, not to ventilate the cavity between the inner and outer skins.     It sounds as though a previous owner has 'bodged' the vents so as to reduce heat loss.   Check the vents in the floor - these also may have been blocked for the same reason.   That is  dangerous!   They are there to allow any escaping gas to drop from the floor of the van.   I think you should look elsewhere for your water ingress.   Around the roof edge mouldings is a favourite spot for water getting in.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

It could be that a previous owner has "over-boarded" the inside of the caravan in an attempt to disguise previous damp damage and in doing so has covered over the vents.  Doing this won't help anything IF the original cause of the damp hasn't been solved before over-boarding.

Some photos would help but I have a horrible feeling that you might have a rather long-winded job to repair this.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Yes it does sound as though there has been a bodged job. The vents need to be there and working and the cause of the damp needs checking out. At this stage no one can be sure as to what is needed and the extent of any repair.

As the caravan is about 55 years old it would probably have been built by the "stick and tin" method. Wooden frame clad with aluminium sheet outside and wall board inside. The cavities were sort of insulated with matting but were cavities which needed to ventilate. I think the vents you see may be  there for that purpose. Some pics would be very interesting. Have you tried to find an owners club with members who know the intricacies of the caravan?

• WispMan changed the title to Help/vents on a 1967 Minster caravan

Thank you for your replies , I think the fact they are covered is the problem, but I agree that the van was not done correctly at all , unfortunately I have no choice but to repair correctly, I have tried putting pics on but says they are not the right format 🤔

Ern what you say makes sense,  problem with that the wood timber frame that is there was fixed around vent 12x12 square so that would be the only bit getting the  ventilation , the frame has no installation at all , putter skin then frame then ply from what I can see 

Forecast rain soon so have left van uncovered and hopefully I will see where the wet is getting in , may be a case of stripping back to frame and doing the job correct 

large.F5856C16-6F71-4AF2-8170-671DE17932B2.jpeg.5f7d4e1604811b140a68294174ae0398.jpeglarge.6BBA1A04-D13C-4BAE-9D9D-A176852229C0.jpeg.3f9a16caed594fb77c9f800e33decfb7.jpeglarge.28AC396B-FB88-4FDC-8BB4-0B1C71754F53.jpeg.ffcfb0ce7a843bf700eae84c2aca09f7.jpeglarge.BD6E018B-9549-4298-9A56-F91E0E266942.jpeg.3b16682b7590bfbffc518fc712438cd5.jpeglarge.919842C3-1C58-4877-9DF5-4EB4938FEAAB.jpeg.3b3a7d201a012b143b7f0de943e897ae.jpeg

Pics show where I took board away , one pic shows vent that was there the other two where vent is but out side 

3 hours ago, Dinna said:

Thank you for your replies , I think the fact they are covered is the problem, but I agree that the van was not done correctly at all , unfortunately I have no choice but to repair correctly, I have tried putting pics on but says they are not the right format 🤔

Ern what you say makes sense,  problem with that the wood timber frame that is there was fixed around vent 12x12 square so that would be the only bit getting the  ventilation , the frame has no installation at all , putter skin then frame then ply from what I can see 

Yes I see. Its clearly visible that the vent on one side is there. I would replicate that on the other side. I doubt that is the cause of the leak though. The roof appears to be well stained in the corner, so the roof joint could be what is really leaking.  Some of the wood frame looks quite new  so, you may not be the first to investigate this leak.

The pic where you see ceiling thou it looks like it’s had a leak it’s only where I have torn the plastic type coating off roof in that corner , the vent looks like  moisture has come in and ran down , here is hoping 

26 minutes ago, Dinna said:

, the vent looks like  moisture has come in and ran down

Also, I think water has been getting in at the top of the wall/roof joint - the awning rail - hence the timber has gone black.   To do the job properly, that timber needs testing to see if its just damp or it has rotted, and if it's rot, it will need replacing.   What (if anything) was between the outer aluminium and the wall board.   In a modern van the space is filled with polystyrene sheet.   To make your van warmer, you could do the same.   Buy it in sheets of 25mm thickness.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As far as I can see there is nothing between outer skin and internal wall , yes there’s a couple of pieces of wood that needs replacing , to be honest I was totally took when buying it can only blame myself , so now I need to get it all done correctly, there is not much info out there to help novices like me , but appreciate all help on here with advice , thank you 

Be careful if you do find any insulation as asbestos was sometimes used years ago. Rigid foam was used more recently but you could use rock wool in the roof space if it’s curved.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB