Lunar Clubman SR LED spotlights

Daveperce

One of the LED spotlights in the saloon area of my 2017 Clubman SR decided not to work this evening. No problem, thought I, just turn to the page in the handbook that covers replacement. Quote from the handbook "Led lighting is non- replaceable"..... what am I supposed to do with that?

Looks like you'll need to throw that caravan away and get a new one :-)

(Yes, the handbook's help is pretty poor and far from helpful)

This is quite a common issue with Lunar spotlights. 
Apparently the connectors that join the wiring loom to the lights are slightly loose, and this results in the light not working. 
Maybe worth dropping the light and checking the connections are tight 

I have this problem with my Delta. In the Delta you can fiddle with the wires by taking out the radio and put a hand in through the empty space. Finding the correct connection is not easy as you can't see anything!

10 hours ago, simon100 said:

I have this problem with my Delta. In the Delta you can fiddle with the wires by taking out the radio and put a hand in through the empty space. Finding the correct connection is not easy as you can't see anything!

As lost in the wilderness suggested why not try dropping the spotlight?

There is enough cable to pull it downwards-something I had to do on our previous Lunar caravan.

If only I could.

I got a replacement LED light under warrenty when the light stopped working the first time. Taking the light off I discovered that in my Delta there is not sufficient cable to pull it through and find the connection. I had to cut the cable and rejoin it. When the new light didn't work I realised that the problem was elsewhere.

In discussing this with the dealer they told me that they had experienced this problem before and it was, as previously noted, down to poor wiring looms imported from China.

When 'fiddling' with the cable, it appears to be bundled together, possibly with a cable tie, deep in the corner void where I can't see it, and can't access it apart from through the radio slot.

I can get the light to work by fiddling with the cable. Sometimes this lasts until the caravan is moved again, other times it dies when moving around the van. I will persevere!

10 minutes ago, simon100 said:

If only I could.

I got a replacement LED light under warrenty when the light stopped working the first time. Taking the light off I discovered that in my Delta there is not sufficient cable to pull it through and find the connection. I had to cut the cable and rejoin it. When the new light didn't work I realised that the problem was elsewhere.

In discussing this with the dealer they told me that they had experienced this problem before and it was, as previously noted, down to poor wiring looms imported from China.

When 'fiddling' with the cable, it appears to be bundled together, possibly with a cable tie, deep in the corner void where I can't see it, and can't access it apart from through the radio slot.

I can get the light to work by fiddling with the cable. Sometimes this lasts until the caravan is moved again, other times it dies when moving around the van. I will persevere!

Thanks for this response.

In our case it was definitely a badly made crimped connector literally about 6" from the spotlight.

Its appears you have DIY skills and guess you have investigated other directions of attack?...eg panels that can be unscrewed?

As far as I can see there is nothing to unscrew in the vicinity of the light and the area holding the radio is a one piece unit, no doubt prefabricated at the factory and fitted into place. In my experience, caravans are not designed to be taken apart! Everytime I use the van I have a go at fixing the problem but am wary at tugging the bundled wires too hard in case I cause more problems than I solve. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've sort of (I'm no auto electrician) determined it's a fault in the live feed cable somewhere where the sun don't shine!!! As others here have suggested, the issue could be anywhere along the length of the loom that's hidden behind various panels. It doesn't help that the cable colours do not resemble the wiring diagram in the handbook.  For the sake of having one less reading light, I'll live with it for now....