Jump to content

Winter in Spain question.....and we don't like big sites


Recommended Posts

We've decided last year is probably the last year we will spend a full winter in GB.  Although caravanners for many decades, we've never been abroad in our caravan; motor bikes have been our preferred method of travel. This winter we are thinking of dipping or toes in the water and spending maybe a couple of months in Spain.  We really don't like big sites and spent most of our time in Certificated Sites/Listings in GB.  Ideally, we are looking for a smallish site to stay at away from big cities and ideally with views.  Any suggestions as to where to start looking (or even where to stay!) greatly appreciated.  We have a dog as well who would be with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at Little Texas Tabernas. Google it. Small site miles from most places. Great dark sky location for looking at the skies. In Andalucia and quite close to Almeria Circuit for motorbikes. In fact, very close to the circuit. Just south of Sorbas. Great views. Friends of my daughter and SIL. 

 

Ah but it may be MoHos only, but do check. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Novocastrian said:

We've decided last year is probably the last year we will spend a full winter in GB.  Although caravanners for many decades, we've never been abroad in our caravan; motor bikes have been our preferred method of travel. This winter we are thinking of dipping or toes in the water and spending maybe a couple of months in Spain.  We really don't like big sites and spent most of our time in Certificated Sites/Listings in GB.  Ideally, we are looking for a smallish site to stay at away from big cities and ideally with views.  Any suggestions as to where to start looking (or even where to stay!) greatly appreciated.  We have a dog as well who would be with us.

Some of the private MH aires permit caravans and are very good.

Check them out !

As an example there is an aire at Sanlucar and one at Isle Cristina.

Both are at the far South West of Spain 

I have used both with a MH and I would be happy to use either with a caravan and I do intend to in the future 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ACSI has a website and an app of what they call Great Little Campsites - in their terms that means sites with less than 50 touring pitches. Don't expect CS or CLs in Spain. 

 

But for a first time visit I would look at the winter sun packages of ferry plus campsites on offer now from Brittany Ferries. 

Edited by moorgate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, WispMan said:

Ah but it may be MoHos only, but do check. 

I 've just looked at the photo's on Google and there is a caravan with full awning and annex in one of the images.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Novocastrian said:

  We really don't like big sites and spent most of our time in Certificated Sites/Listings in GB.  Ideally, we are looking for a smallish site to stay at away from big cities and ideally with views.

 

If you're planning to stay in Spain during the winter months, ideally you'll be looking for the warmer temperatures,    To find those, you need to be close to the coasts where most of the sites are quite large.      There are some small sites - here's one - but although not too far from Malaga, it's altitude will make it colder, especially at night - very likely below freezing.

Or another, midway between Seville and Malaga - HERE

I've been spending up to four winter months in Spain for the past 25 years, and in some years I've written about my experiences HERE

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jaydug said:

 

If you're planning to stay in Spain during the winter months, ideally you'll be looking for the warmer temperatures,    To find those, you need to be close to the coasts where most of the sites are quite large.      There are some small sites - here's one - but although not too far from Malaga, it's altitude will make it colder, especially at night - very likely below freezing.

Or another, midway between Seville and Malaga - HERE

I've been spending up to four winter months in Spain for the past 25 years, and in some years I've written about my experiences HERE

Night temperatures in southern Spain is a lot colder than most would beleive but our house is at 1000m and frost nights are very rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Night temperatures in southern Spain is a lot colder than most would beleive

 For instance - I used to stop overnight at Granada.   The site is only 30 miles (a.t.c.f) from the coast.   Often at 9am before I left, I spent time chiselling the frost off the windscreen.   By the time I reached the coast road the dashboard was showing  an outside temperature of 20C or so.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/06/2021 at 21:52, WispMan said:

Have a look at Little Texas Tabernas. Google it. Small site miles from most places. Great dark sky location for looking at the skies. In Andalucia and quite close to Almeria Circuit for motorbikes. In fact, very close to the circuit. Just south of Sorbas. Great views. Friends of my daughter and SIL. 

 

Ah but it may be MoHos only, but do check. 

Thank you, Graham. I checked and they do take caravans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

fwiw ...

We have overwintered ,3 times now, early Jan to mid March (so under 90 days) in 2018 / 2019 & 2020 at the same long term site, so have recent experience. There are plenty of sites to go at if researched fully.

We sought to escape grey UK Winters and wanted a smaller peaceful non car park type site within a short walk maximum to the beach + good for dogs etc but with facilities etc to hand.

Our chosen return Site 'loves' may be your 'hates' though and perfect doesn't exist. 

We chose geographically the scenic very Northern Almeria / southern Murcia coastal area as it is also the 'Desert' status climate area and in our 3 recent years has been normally blue sky & sun, rarely rained, very very mild & nil frost to date. It is very arid & dry inland off the coast = true desert and can have frost.

For flexibility, with our two small dogs, we have driven down France previous years plus the French spring return is usually very pleasant. 

Would strongly recommend though to do a cheap & cheerful advance fly drive 7 day trip to your preferred area (when it's allowed) prior to just setting off in a well meaning way in January 2021. The best website pics / friends reviews & tips are usually resolved when arriving into a town or area or site car park. We visited & rejected 25 out of 30 the shortlisted suitable & recommended sites from Gibralter to Alicante on our fly drive - most at the entrance. Overnight sites en-route are no big issue, even in mid winter France - just ask for route & recommends.

NB The south eastern area 25 mile radius around Almeria City / Roquestas / National Park is truly dreadful visually in our opinion with the vast plastic horticulture greenhouses (as viewed on Google earth) blighting the landscape - once seen never forgotten. There is even a CMC recommended & listed smart site with plastic greenhouses to three sides out of photoshot !

It's a long way to travel to be very disappointed on your first arrival.

M

PS Camping Torrox (from Jaydug) was one of the five we have visited & would stay at but a hike down to the beach !

 

..... await critic with very great dread .....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...