Swaying

Hi have got a cr-v when towing caravan it feels like car is swaying not the caravan as we have had someone follow us to see

Strange post.

A few more details about the car and caravan may help members give advice if that is what you are looking for.

macafee2

8 minutes ago, Margaret clapham said:

when towing caravan it feels like car is swaying not the caravan

You're not giving us much to go on so that we can offer help.   Is the caravan loaded or unloaded?   Did you check the nose-weight before driving.   Are the tyre pressures all correct?   Do your rear tyres need more air in them for towing?   Are you using a stabilizer?    

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Caravan is loaded but not not over loaded, checked tyre pressure ,as a stabiliser,It was OK with previous cars had no problems swapped cars to honda cr-v and its got a removal able tow bar we're others had fixed tow bar.Husband says he puts 34 in back and 30 in front is this right

What is a Sterling Movern caravan? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Think its a dealer special from early 2000s to 2010 according to google - gocaravanning, Shipping length 6.2m

Edited by Lagerorwine

My thought is that those tyre pressures are a bit low! The sidewalls are flexing too much.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

What age CRV ?  We had a 2013 and it had very soft suspension on the rear.  Tyre pressures were critical..  You need to check the Tyre Pressure info sheet, think it was on the fuel flap or could have been front door B pillar.  Make sure the pressures are at the fully loaded pressure.

People have added supplementary spring assisters to their CRV's to stiffen it up on the rear end.

Edited by karlak

What it says as normal or fully loaded? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

12 minutes ago, Margaret clapham said:

It says 33 fully loaded

Does it quote a towing pressure! You will need to check the handbook.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

36 minutes ago, Margaret clapham said:

It says 33 fully loaded

33 sounds low for fully laden

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

2 hours ago, Margaret clapham said:

it feels like car is swaying not the caravan as we have had someone follow us to see

The driver behind will not be able to see what the exact relationship is between the car and van when it sways.

Does it do it all the time, or only at a specific speed ?

Is the nose weight on the tow ball within the specifications of the van and car manufacturer ?

When loaded as you would normally for a trip, have you actually checked the nose weight with scales.

Have you checked that the van tires are at the correct pressure ?

If it has been OK with a previous car / cars and the only thing that has changed is the car, then it must be something down to the new car itself or the way the two are set up.

Though you say a sensation of swaying, when this occurs can any swaying be seen when looking back at the van from mirrors, or by a passenger turning round ?

when folk ask for help, they get a better response  when they give more information , e.g. make , model and year of  car and caravan. If the caravan is a dealer special, what is the van based on.  Some folk take a photo of the weight plates.  if you are an experienced caravanner or a newbie , after all we don't want to teach granny to suck eggs  :D:D

FWIW...as others have said noiseweight, rear tyre pressures, caravan loading (heavy items over axle) and car loading are the normal culprits.

For the experienced contributors the details of both car and type/model of caravan might jog somebodies memory of something specific that this towing combination had.

I'd like to ask what type of stabiliser you have?

Edited by charlieboy2608

50 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I'd like to ask what type of stabiliser you have?

Good question, the condition, wear or contamination of the stabiliser pads can have an effect.

Bit of detective work. It'll be a 'Sterling Cruach Morvern', a dealer special two berth Swift Group van, originally sold by Duncan Caravans of Wishaw.

Nothing to do with Peter Crouch or the river in Essex.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I've got a 6.2 metre caravan (Bailey Hunter Lite 470/5), which I tow with a CRV, though a 2015 model. I don't have a stabiliser, but have found it steady, even in some pretty gusty conditions.

On my caravan, the noseweight seems naturally high (had to move things from the front locker back to be in limits), but it's been suggested here that a high but within limits noseweight is good. So checking the noseweight might be a good place to start. Also, making sure there's not a lot of weight right at the back of the caravan - you don't want the tail wagging the towcar dog!

The correct tyre pressure for towing would normally be the loaded and higher of the two figures given for the car. The ones you quote look low but I do not know the specific ones for your car.

15 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The correct tyre pressure for towing would normally be the loaded and higher of the two figures given for the car. The ones you quote look low but I do not know the specific ones for your car.

For the OP really but I'm sure you are aware that all this kind of information can be read from the sidewall of the tyre and deciphered via google :-)