Damage to work top in caravan

The top of one of the worktops got "dinged" recently and left a small dent about the size of a finger nail and maybe 2mm deep . It's not the end of the world but I was wondering if some clear epoxy would be a good repair. Interested to know what others have done before I give it a go - of course all my fault and if repair is rubbish SWMBO will be doubly unhappy with yours truly!

caravan worktop1 (2).jpg

Most worktops in caravans these days have a very thin top and, for want of a better expression, a cardboard honeycomb core, very difficult to repair due to the lack of strength/support underneath the top. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

It depends on your DIY ability. First, is the underside of the work top accessible? If so, it is possible to drill a small hole through the underside skin and then push a piece of dowel or similar up under the damaged area - carefully forcing the area back to its original flat form. Assuming this is possible, work some Araldite into the cracks from the top, and then using the dowel push the damaged area up and into position. Clean the surplus Araldite from the surface and leave the dowel in place. When it is set, cut the dowel off flush on the underside. I have done this on two occasions on different caravans, and it works if you are careful.

Edited by Ern

Is it in a place where you are likely to do food preparation etc. anyway? If so, and if a satisfactory repair isn't possible, I'd be inclined to just glue a lightweight chopping board, plastic, melamine or silicone, onto the area, and give it no more headspace. 

Many thanks for the suggestions - I think if there's room I'll have a go with the dowel solution

56 minutes ago, Treesparrow said:

Many thanks for the suggestions - I think if there's room I'll have a go with the dowel solution

Make the first hole with a small drill -  about 3mm, and just penetrate the lower skin. You can use the drill in your fingers to feel your way through the top. Then open the hole up to the dowel diameter with great care as the drill will try to grab. Some are solid styrene and some are honeycomb. Go really easy and see whether you can return the broken bits back to their position, but do it in the right order as they will overlap. When you have the bits flat and know it's going to be ok, apply the Araldite from the top and work it into the cracks. A bit more Araldite on the dowel and push it up from the underside.

Edited by Ern