Elddis Smelddis

Ozzie Kev

Well I have a 2020 Elddis Xplore 304 from new, with a few minor issues that could have been sorted by Elddis or the dealer but due to either incompetence  I have had to solve them all myself.  The main one is after a couple of short trips the oven had moved out of position because the cabinetry mounting frame had cracked.  Looking closer I fount that the whole weight of the oven was cantilevered off the mounting frame at the front (held only by 4 small screws) with no support at the back of the oven.  I asked the Dealer if this was normal.  They said they didn't know and I should contact Elddis.  I contacted Elddis and of course, Elddis said I should ask the Dealer.  I persisted with Elddis and then they said "all their ovens are mounted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions".  I asked if they would supply me with a copy of those instructions so I could check if mine was OK but Elddis said it was against their policy.  So I obtained the instructions from Thetford myself. The Thetford instructions clearly showed the oven should be supported at the back.  I asked Elddis why my oven was not supported in accordance with the Thetford installation instructions and they said it must have been tampered with by somebody else, maybe customs.  I told Elddis that there was no evidence of any support  ever being in place.  Elddis then bluntly replied that they will not answer any more of my emails on this topic. This is only one issue but on any issue or simple question I have approached them, Elddis has refused to supply any support whatsoever.  In fact, their responses seldom made any sense at all.  I am wondering if it is policy for them not to provide any help or their support person is just plain crazy.  Has anyone else had such a problem with Elddis (Erwin Hymer) ???    

You didn’t buy this caravan from Elddis. It is the dealer that is responsible. 

As Fred says, the dealer you bought the van from is legally responsible, not the manufacturer. It is a basic precept of the Consumer Rights Act. In the case of something like the oven, once a problem is brought to the seller's attention they have specific responsibilities depending on the time elapsed from purchase. A caravan warranty basically provides an assurance to the selling dealer that they will be recompensed by the manufacturer for any repair work they undertake. If a warranty claim is rejected by a manufacturer it doesn't absolve the dealer from responsibility.  

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Ah, I've just twigged, although he didn't post it, the OP is in Australia, presumably with different trading regulations to the UK. Does the dealer he purchased from have some responsibilities under their regulations? Do Hymer UK actually export to authorised dealer there, or maybe the van is one of the 'grey' exports that have been mentioned from time to time on CT where there is no manufacturer involvement in the export at all and the dealerships are out to make a fast buck with no comeback?

fwiw ...

and for a change there is no reply from the OP .......

• 11 months later...

It is irrelevant who I bought the caravan from the issue is the failure of Elddis to provide any support or information at all to the dealer or me and their repeated avoidance of being of any form of support.

14 minutes ago, Ozzie Kev said:

It is irrelevant who I bought the caravan from the issue is the failure of Elddis to provide any support or information at all to the dealer or me and their repeated avoidance of being of any form of support.

Not necessarily.

If the caravan wasn't built for a market on the other side of the world and Hymer UK sold the product to a UK dealership, then I suspect their conditions of trade preclude any responsibility. In the UK consumer law is such that  responsibility lies with the merchant you purchased from, not the manufacturer and with any warranty issues you'd be legally obliged to return the van to the supplying dealer for rectification. Hymer UK and all other UK makers would deal with matters via the dealership, not direct with the customer.

Presumably the dealership the van was purchased from is not a Hymer appointed authorised dealership and it would be interesting to trace back where the Australian dealer purchased the van in the UK.

Posted (edited)

it is very difficult for us to offer any opinion or advice as we only know what happens under UK law  and not Australian law.  In the UK we deal directly with the dealer, sometimes we get in touch with the makers of the individual white goods though it doesn't always help. The actual caravan manufacturers  rarely give any reply, it would be like having a Ford car and contacting Ford themselves rather than the garage.  Sorry that you are having these problems and I hope you get them sorted.

Edited by joanie

7 minutes ago, Finbarr Saunders said:

You are discussing an 11 month old dead thread.

Not quite . . . resurrected after 11 months by the OP.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

steamdrivenandy still misses the point.  I know where the van was purchased and who the dealer was in the UK and how it was shipped and how it was complianced.  My beef still remains the refusal of Elddis/Irwin Hymer to provide ANY form of rational support or information to me AND the dealer.  EH responses were nonsensical and evasive even though they stated they were willing to help, they were absolutely useless.   

1 hour ago, Finbarr Saunders said:

You are discussing an 11 month old dead thread.

And it's the OP responding 11 months later.

39 minutes ago, Ozzie Kev said:

steamdrivenandy still misses the point.  I know where the van was purchased and who the dealer was in the UK and how it was shipped and how it was complianced.  My beef still remains the refusal of Elddis/Irwin Hymer to provide ANY form of rational support or information to me AND the dealer.  EH responses were nonsensical and evasive even though they stated they were willing to help, they were absolutely useless.   

As far as Hymer UK are concerned their relationship is presumably with the dealer they sold the van to in the UK, not the dealership in Australia who imported it, or the customer who then purchased it. I know that Hymer UK have reps that visit their authorised dealers because I've earwigged a conversation between one and a dealer on a forecourt regarding a rejected van. So they can handle an issue through their UK authorised dealer but presumably not a third party dealership in Oz.  Caveat emptor and all that.

Contact Erwin Hymer in Germany and they will help. I had issues regarding paint matches and Elddis Uk where useless and rude. Contacted Erwin Hymer and 2 days later a nice response.

Posted (edited)

@Ozzie KevThey will have made an error but wont admit it as they will have to rectify all the other vans like that. 

The furniture design is basic  - I would fix it yourself using a piece of softwood and angle brackets- following the Thetford instructions for location. 

If you need to complain to the head man in the UK ( or was) try Rob.Quine@

erwinhymergroup.co.uk

I suspect he may not be bothered like the rest of them but you can try.

22 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

I know that Hymer UK have reps that visit their authorised dealers

I often wondered what the purpose of these reps were, as they were basically redundant in terms of sales as Elddis were always sold out when I was there. 

It is also very unlikely that any design change would have been made to the internal fixings for export. 

There were hopes that Hymer would improve things but it has not happened yet after 5 years

Edited by Benny65

On 16/05/2022 at 20:43, colin h said:

Contact Erwin Hymer in Germany and they will help. I had issues regarding paint matches and Elddis Uk where useless and rude. Contacted Erwin Hymer and 2 days later a nice response.

On 12/06/2021 at 21:42, fred said:

Thanks for your tips and advice!  

Thanks all for your tips and advice but my main objective was to have a rant and ask my original question "did anyone found Elddis useless to deal with?   I did enter into this purchase with eyes wide open and did not expect miracles but I was surprised just how rude, evasive and nonsensical Elddis turned out to be concerning the smallest of matters.  Oh did I mention that Elddis assured me I had an international warranty but for any attention the van had to be shipped back to New Zealand or the UK !  hahahahaha!  Certainly won't purchase again!         

Thanks all for your tips and advice but my main objective was to have a rant and ask my original question "did anyone found Elddis useless to deal with?   I did enter into this purchase with eyes wide open and did not expect miracles but I was surprised just how rude, evasive and nonsensical Elddis turned out to be concerning the smallest of matters.  Oh did I mention that Elddis assured me I had an international warranty but for any attention the van had to be shipped back to New Zealand or the UK !  hahahahaha!  Certainly won't purchase again! 

21 hours ago, Benny65 said:

@Ozzie KevThey will have made an error but wont admit it as they will have to rectify all the other vans like that. 

The furniture design is basic  - I would fix it yourself using a piece of softwood and angle brackets- following the Thetford instructions for location. 

If you need to complain to the head man in the UK ( or was) try Rob.Quine@

erwinhymergroup.co.uk

I suspect he may not be bothered like the rest of them but you can try.

I often wondered what the purpose of these reps were, as they were basically redundant in terms of sales as Elddis were always sold out when I was there. 

It is also very unlikely that any design change would have been made to the internal fixings for export. 

There were hopes that Hymer would improve things but it has not happened yet after 5 years

On 12/06/2021 at 21:59, Steamdrivenandy said:

As Fred says, the dealer you bought the van from is legally responsible, not the manufacturer. It is a basic precept of the Consumer Rights Act. In the case of something like the oven, once a problem is brought to the seller's attention they have specific responsibilities depending on the time elapsed from purchase. A caravan warranty basically provides an assurance to the selling dealer that they will be recompensed by the manufacturer for any repair work they undertake. If a warranty claim is rejected by a manufacturer it doesn't absolve the dealer from responsibility.  

As you can see i don't really get how this forum post system works. Sorry!:)

2 hours ago, Ozzie Kev said:

Thanks all for your tips and advice but my main objective was to have a rant and ask my original question "did anyone found Elddis useless to deal with? 

I've not owned an Elddis and this has been a deliberate choice after reading many forum posts.

All the manufacturers (especially UK ones) have their build issues (our last Swift was no exception) but my take on it is that Elddis not only use some of the most questionable materials but that they are terrible to deal with and will hide away from any issues.  At least with Swift, they stood by their mistakes and sorted them out.  

I'd take the bits of advice from @Benny65 and @colin h - fix it yourself but give feedback to Hymer HQ in Germany. They need to hear just how badly their UK arm lets things down. 

On 18/05/2022 at 11:17, Scarab said:

I've not owned an Elddis and this has been a deliberate choice after reading many forum posts.

All the manufacturers (especially UK ones) have their build issues (our last Swift was no exception) but my take on it is that Elddis not only use some of the most questionable materials but that they are terrible to deal with and will hide away from any issues.  At least with Swift, they stood by their mistakes and sorted them out.  

I'd take the bits of advice from @Benny65 and @colin h - fix it yourself but give feedback to Hymer HQ in Germany. They need to hear just how badly their UK arm lets things down. 

Agree totally 👍

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

I find this all rather disconcerting; our Buccaneer has been superb; one faulty alarm awing light relay fixed at first service then at the second they found a bit of damp in the front locker.  The dealer should have fixed this under warranty of course but did the old ' we'll contact Elddis and see' routine. I didn't argue as I thought I would see what Elddis said. Approved almost straight away for a new locker door by Elddis and it goes in next month as we are using it till then! So far so very impressed by Elddis! 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

The dealer should have fixed this under warranty of course but did the old ' we'll contact Elddis and see' routine.

It's not a "routine", it's a warranty claim requirement. All manufacturer warranty claims have to be approved by them otherwise the repairer doesn't get the parts supplied at no cost to them and the pitiful contribution to labour costs.

Edited by Legal Eagle

On 18/05/2022 at 10:17, Scarab said:

Wise move IMO Scarab.

My serious problem occurred just as warranty expired and was down to an elementary design fault but they would not admit to it, affected every one of their same model design types I have since looked at in the years since.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Surely that's irrelevant. Under the cra the dealer is responsible,?

This was back in 2011, think the CRA came into force on the 1st October 2015. 

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

aha, oops!Thanks Griff, I must start looking at post dates!!! Dopey me!

15 hours ago, Griff said:

Wise move IMO Scarab.

Very occasionally, I do make them!

When we were trading our Swift in, the dealer we were buying from showed us a damp Elddis. They move a lot of second hand vans (no new brand loyalty) and said they pretty much expect this and have a routine repair / improvement they do.  

16 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

So far so very impressed by Elddis

Jezzer, I'm sure that a majority of Elddis owners are like you. It just seemed that there was a larger minority with them than other manufacturers that were not happy.

Keep your warranty valid and know your rights in case you need either again. But, hopefully, given the good start you've had you'll continue to be happy

Fingers xed. Yes services on the dot!