Simply swap butane pigtail for propane pigtail?

Gavin Smith

I'm pretty sure I'm right about the following but it would be great if someone could give me a reassuring nod... :)

I have a butane tank in the caravan and I'd like to switch to propane. I can simply buy a propane pigtail (the pigtail is the part with the hose that connects to the regulator, right?!) and replace it myself? There's no harm to the gas system or regulator in just switching over like that? It's a standard Truma bulkhead 30 mbar, which from Googling seems to do both butane and propane.

Many thanks.

IMG_3189.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Gavin Smith said:

I'm pretty sure I'm right about the following but it would be great if someone could give me a reassuring nod... :)

Short answer: Yes

Perfectly correct, I did do it all the time as i used butane in the summer and propane in the winter.

I went to refillable gas bottles and just use the one type now

It is useful when buying the Propane pigtail to get one that has a thumbwheel on the cylinder end. Makes life much easier when cylinder change time comes along. Also make sure you get one that is long enough to reach down to even the smallest cylinder - there are stacks on eBay at reasonable prices.

Finally don't forget that Propane has a left-handed cylinder thread, i.e. you turn the thumbwheel anti-clockwise viewed from the pipe side when attaching it to the cylinder. The regulator end is standard right-handed.

I understand that the connecting hose should have a continue drop but shouldn't go below the bottle connecting point-sometime ago this was said to foul the regulator internals.

It is good practice to use soapy water to check any joints you have remade.

2 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I understand that the connecting hose should have a continue drop but shouldn't go below the bottle connecting point-sometime ago this was said to foul the regulator internals.

It is good practice to use soapy water to check any joints you have remade.

Note sure that makes sense. Care to elucidate?

I agree Woodentop i need to explain.

I remember reading either John Westerham caravan book or an article in practical caravan (when the writers knew what they were talking about) about the regulators-thinking back it was the take off point on the regulator that changed.I believe that an oily deposit could form in the regulator causing issues.

Apologise's for the confusion.

6 hours ago, Woodentop said:

It is useful when buying the Propane pigtail to get one that has a thumbwheel on the cylinder end.

...and then, when tightening, make sure the thumbwheel doesn't interfere with the aluminium disk on the cylinder so that it won't seal !

You need to ensure that the disk is out of the way of the thumbwheel to get the fitting fully 'home'.

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

I have a French "Cubie" propane cylinder with the 27mm clip on connection which I always use and refill in France together with a Calor propane.

Previous leisure vehicle (a motorhome) did not have the bulkhead pressure reduction valve, so each cylinder had its own and swapping was easy.

So last year before the planned trip to France I intended to buy a 27mm clip on adaptor with a female Calor propane connection enabling the Calor propane bulkhead hose to be retained.

The item was on my eBay watch list, but the other half deleted it and I'm darned if I can find it again, but when I do I will buy this time.

The rubber pigtails only have a life of five years from the date of manufacture so worth checking that the ones you buy are manufactured recently.

I have just changed mine to stainless steel, twenty years, and one of them is already three years old but seventeen years will see me out.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

1 hour ago, Camperdom said:

Search eBay “pol to butane nut adaptor”

This

27mm clip adaptor  Here

Camperdom

I am aware of numerous examples of these adaptors.  The hose attachment side is the common threaded one for the "butane" hose.

The one I had saved had the Pol female propane hose connection.

Still searching ...

13 hours ago, charlieboy2608 said:

I agree Woodentop i need to explain.

I remember reading either John Westerham caravan book or an article in practical caravan (when the writers knew what they were talking about) about the regulators-thinking back it was the take off point on the regulator that changed. I believe that an oily deposit could form in the regulator causing issues.

Apologise's for the confusion.

Just to add a small edit, my friend John's surname was Wickersham. You're right though about the oily deposits that can collect at the lowest point, that is why the high pressure pipe should always slope down from the bulkhead mounted regulator to the supply cylinder. This is the reason why some patio BBQs can also have blocked regulators if used infrequently without disconnecting the gas supply when not in use - ie the cylinder mounted regulator is lower than the BBQ gas inlet. 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Just to add a small edit, my friend John's surname was Wickersham. You're right though about the oily deposits that can collect at the lowest point, that is why the high pressure pipe should always slope down from the bulkhead mounted regulator to the supply cylinder. This is the reason why some patio BBQs can also have blocked regulators if used infrequently without disconnecting the gas supply when not in use - ie the cylinder mounted regulator is lower than the BBQ gas inlet. 

Thank you Gordon...I guess I can say my ass might be dumb but at the moment I'm no dumb ass-but there is still time for me to be a dumb ass :-)