Water Filter advice needed

Am thinking of getting a decent water filter for my caravan hose, inline probably.  Can you get ones you can clean and reuse?

I can recommend the same filter we use on our household supply. 

Nothing and still alive after 75 years - just. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

43 minutes ago, WispMan said:

What he said ^ :lol:

My taps have filters already fitted. They unscrew for a rinse. The water pipes are periodically cleaned with Puriclean water treament avaiable from Amazon and other suppliers. 

To use fill your water tank with a Puriclean solution and run through your pipes. Leave to soak for up to 12 hours and then drain and rinse the system.

To then keep safe you can also use Puritabs each tine you connect to a new supply.

Midi Tabs kill bacteria, spores, cysts, algae, fungi, protozoa and viruses, and are especially lethal to Entamoeba histolytica. Causative water borne organisms, amongst others, are killed by Midi Tabs these are: Salmonella typhi, Vibria cholerae, Shigella sonnei, Sterptocoecus faecallis, Estcherichia coli.

Edited by Lefthand Down
Addition of Puritabs advice

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The bit that all missed? It is better not to drink water from the barrel or tank - it can taste brackish after a while. We have a 2L S/S jug which we fill up directly from the supply tap.

We use a filter-jug for drinking water in the caravan and at home. Other than the jug we don't filter the caravan supply (still here after 30 years).

At home it's advisable because, by the time the Severn gets to us, it's well filtered having passed through at least six sets of kidneys...

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

21 hours ago, Woodentop said:

It is better not to drink water from the barrel or tank - it can taste brackish after a while.

Although I rarely drink plain water, we use the vans water for tea and coffee, and occasional cold squash. 
As a barrel of water won’t last more than 1.5 days, it doesn’t have chance to go brackish. 
Our water system, including both barrels is treated with Puriclean, at least annually, but if van hasn’t been used for a couple of months, then I might give it another clean.  

We drink water from the tank, never clean the tank, won’t use a filter not come to any harm yet.  

My job, I sell pharmaceutical grade filters for a living.  

I clean the water system with Puriclean after any decent period of non use. In addition we take the Brita jug water filter that we use at home and use that in the van. Never had a problem in many years. I also think having an onboard tank makes water more pleasant as it doesn't get heated up in hot weather like it can in the Aquaroll.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

On 10/06/2021 at 10:01, WispMan said:

:goodpost:

On 10/06/2021 at 16:23, Woodentop said:

The bit that all missed? It is better not to drink water from the barrel or tank - it can taste brackish after a while. We have a 2L S/S jug which we fill up directly from the supply tap.

Then I suggest that your supply tank (Aquaroll?) needs cleaning. We have always been happy to drink the water from the external or internal fresh water tanks as I know that that both of these and the hose used to fill them are clean. On a similar note, we have had inline water filters supplied as standard on our caravans and motorhomes but have always removed them as they should be totally unnecessary if the caravan or motorhome is filled from a domestic water supply. The stored water on our outfits has always been used for cooking, washing, drinking, teeth cleaning etc., just as the water would be at home and as Wispman said, we're still alive. We do not habitually buy spring water, or use a filter jug.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

13 hours ago, KnausCol said:

In addition we take the Brita jug water filter that we use at home and use that in the van

If you take your filter jug because you think that it improves the taste of the water.    That’s fine 

If you take your filter jug because you think that it removes bacteria from the water.    Then I am afraid that is just plain wrong.  

11 minutes ago, fred said:

If you take your filter jug because you think that it improves the taste of the water.    That’s fine 

If you take your filter jug because you think that it removes bacteria from the water.    Then I am afraid that is just plain wrong.  

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Probably because we used to have a motorhome and Mrs. Ex didn't.like the idea of drinking water that had been in the tank for a while we got used to a separate drinking water container. Even though it's different on the caravan we still carry on. Old habits 😉

24 minutes ago, fred said:

Exactly that. We use it at home to improve the taste and the same in the van. Strict maintenance of the water system in the van is what I rely on to keep it safe.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I think the worst thing is the in line filters which do not remove bacteria but simply harbour them until the filter is removed and thrown away. We use a Britta filter jug for cold drinks but otherwise nothing (except the periodic cleaning of system and tanks)

NB: those cold drinks are the non-alcoholic ones which are occasionally administered.

I gave up using the Whale WF3000 filters due to the cost (£15 + each :angry:) and now use THESE from Bags4everything, 2 replacement filters cost £8. Works fine for me.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

40 minutes ago, Ern said:

I think the worst thing is the in line filters which do not remove bacteria but simply harbour them until the filter is removed

The only thing I slightly disagree about is.   They more than harbour bacteria. They provide an ideal environment for bacteria to multiply.  The filters themselves are made out of carbon, they are damp and have a large surface area.   It’s like an all inclusive hotel for bugs.   Although I mentioned Brita by name all of these filters tend to be activated carbon so are the same.   

So if you think they improve taste then great, but they don’t do much else. 

I wonder, does anyone on here actually know of anyone or read anywhere of anyone becoming very ill caused by drinking the water from their caravan or motorhome water system? I personally haven't heard of anyone and after 35+ years  of caravanning myself, wife and children haven't. :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Some members on this forum go to Spain for 6 months every winter. 

When they get home, they will make a cup of tea with tap water that has been sitting in their pipes/taps for six months. 

Most of them are still alive. There are greater things to worry about than water sitting in an Aquaroll or water tank in a caravan. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Water to our house is still fed through lead pipes and we drink water from the aquaroll when in the van

Not dead yet,   will keep you posted.

4 hours ago, robertB said:

Water to our house is still fed through lead pipes and we drink water from the aquaroll when in the van

Not dead yet,   will keep you posted.

Lead pipes will almost certainly over the years have become coated inside with limescale, so there is no contact between the water and the lead. 

My last house had lead pipes feeding into it. I contacted my water company (Wessex) who will “sleeve” any lead feed pipes if necessary. Chap came out and tested my supply, not a trace of lead, engineer reckoned it was because it would have been coated in limescale many years ago! 

We dont drink the water out if our aquaroll as we find it gets slightly tainted. We use a couple of old 5 litre “designer” water bottles for our drinking water. Personal choice, others are happy to use aquaroll water and I would certainly not criticise that. Each to his own? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I say we drink from the aquaroll but it is usually used to dilute juice or used in the kettle so it may well be tainted as you say and we probably just don't notice.

Down your neck of the woods in Weymouth in a few weeks time Mr Plodd  so save us a bit of nice weather

On 11/06/2021 at 15:37, fred said:

We drink water from the tank, never clean the tank, won’t use a filter not come to any harm yet.  

My job, I sell pharmaceutical grade filters for a living.  

3 hours ago, robertB said:

Down your neck of the woods in Weymouth in a few weeks time Mr Plodd  so save us a bit of nice weather

If you need any local knowledge send me a PM and I will give you my mobile. Lived (and worked) here for 46 years so know it pretty well. 

Where are you staying?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

If you need any local knowledge send me a PM and I will give you my mobile. Lived (and worked) here for 46 years so know it pretty well. 

Where are you staying?

Thanks for the offer. We have been before and the OH Particularly likes and knows the area so not a problem.

We are staying at East Fleet touring park.

Thanks again.