Location Services whilst using MiFi

I recently bought a Huawei E5577 MiFi and using it with an unlimited data BT SIM card. Very very pleased with it,  getting great download speeds & able to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime etc with no issues. I have, however, hit a brick wall with using my iPad & particularly ‘Location Services”. We are away at the moment & my iPad is accessing internet via the MiFi. Thought I would plan a day out using the iPad & opened up TripAdvisor - no joy with location services, it couldn’t tell where I am . Ok, so thought I would have a look on Google Maps and same issue, it couldn’t locate me. I’ve gone through all my iPad settings & (as far as I can tell) all the location/privacy settings etc are enabled. Now I know this is a ‘first world problem’ & I can just look at the map anyway & I do know where I am in the ‘real world’, but I just wondered if any members had any experience of their MiFi not allowing iPads to locate themselves whilst away. When I am at home & connected to the BT Homehub then all my apps such as Trip Advisor, Googlemaps etc work perfectly. Any advice will be gratefully received? Thanks for your help.

Does your iPad (sorry, I'm not familiar with them ) have GPS capability and is it switched on? Locations services generally work at your end not remotely.

I'm in Harrogate on VM and sometimes it shows me in another part of the town, sometimes in Huddersfield and the odd time in Luton - these all being places where VM interface to the Interweb, but if I use GPS it is quite accurate.

I got conned into buying a tablet thingy. Just like the idiots telling me how fantastic it would be for sat nav works they forgot to mention gps and wifi and mifi units. I did ask on several over land sites and forums about this as its they chosen form of satnav. All i got in reply was sanctimonious replies from arrogant idiots.

tablets and ipads only work for the under 30's, anyone over 50 is far better off with a real satnav and not the stupid kiddy wink talking rubbish to you

7 hours ago, David350 said:

I recently bought a Huawei E5577 MiFi and using it with an unlimited data BT SIM card. Very very pleased with it,  getting great download speeds & able to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime etc with no issues. I have, however, hit a brick wall with using my iPad & particularly ‘Location Services”. We are away at the moment & my iPad is accessing internet via the MiFi. Thought I would plan a day out using the iPad & opened up TripAdvisor - no joy with location services, it couldn’t tell where I am . Ok, so thought I would have a look on Google Maps and same issue, it couldn’t locate me. I’ve gone through all my iPad settings & (as far as I can tell) all the location/privacy settings etc are enabled. Now I know this is a ‘first world problem’ & I can just look at the map anyway & I do know where I am in the ‘real world’, but I just wondered if any members had any experience of their MiFi not allowing iPads to locate themselves whilst away. When I am at home & connected to the BT Homehub then all my apps such as Trip Advisor, Googlemaps etc work perfectly. Any advice will be gratefully received? Thanks for your help.

Assuming your iPad does not have inbuilt GPS, do you have an iPhone that you can use as your location provider (which you set within your iPad settings)?

The reason why it will not work in your description is the internet has nothing to ‘fix’ onto for location, only a dynamic IP address of your MiFi device. 

Cheers, Martin

13 hours ago, Martin said:

Assuming your iPad does not have inbuilt GPS, do you have an iPhone that you can use as your location provider (which you set within your iPad settings)?

The reason why it will not work in your description is the internet has nothing to ‘fix’ onto for location, only a dynamic IP address of your MiFi device. 

Yes, I do have an iPhone which is also connected to the MiFi network & location services do work on it. I suspected the issue would be something technical like dynamic IP addresses (an area I really don’t understand).  Not sure  what you mean about using the iPhone as a location provider within iPad settings.

14 minutes ago, David350 said:

Yes, I do have an iPhone which is also connected to the MiFi network & location services do work on it. I suspected the issue would be something technical like dynamic IP addresses (an area I really don’t understand).  Not sure  what you mean about using the iPhone as a location provider within iPad settings.

Your iPad and iPhone need to be linked to the same iCloud account - If so on your iPhone go to settings, search ‘location’, click location privacy, click on share my location and set ‘my location’ to this device 

Cheers, Martin