France - Document requirements, and changes due to BREXIT & COVID

Fingers crossed we’ll be travelling to France in September and we have both had two vaccinations but it would be useful to get confirmation as to what paperwork has changed or is needed to be able to travel in France. Current thoughts are:

Driving license - is the UK license still valid our is the any additions needed?

EU Number plate - Is the existing EU number plate valid, I have read that this has changed and a different logo is required. If so what is the logo and can you purchase stickers to cover EU logo?

Vaccination details - Proof of two vaccinations 

COVID Test - Prior to travel a COVID test, what is acceptable?

Other documents, there’s been reference to residency papers but as a holiday maker will not have this, is this a requirement?

And finally anything else that I may have missed.

Insurance documents plus green  cards for car and caravan,  car registration v5 document, passports, EHIC or GHIC cards, travel insurance, vaccination  proof on NHS app, COVID tests will be in accordance with whatever is in force at the time and will be listed on Government website - refer to that.  

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, D-Hill said:

Fingers crossed we’ll be travelling to France in September and we have both had two vaccinations but it would be useful to get confirmation as to what paperwork has changed or is needed to be able to travel in France. Current thoughts are:

Driving license - is the UK license still valid our is the any additions needed?

EU Number plate - Is the existing EU number plate valid, I have read that this has changed and a different logo is required. If so what is the logo and can you purchase stickers to cover EU logo?

Vaccination details - Proof of two vaccinations 

COVID Test - Prior to travel a COVID test, what is acceptable?

Other documents, there’s been reference to residency papers but as a holiday maker will not have this, is this a requirement?

And finally anything else that I may have missed.

UK licence is valid.   Green Card document is required.

The EU star circle is no longer permitted on UK registration plates in the EU so  blank it off and fit a GB plate, cover it with a stick on Union flag  or (my choice and only £14) buy new plates with Union flag and GB.

September is a long way off covid-wise so changes may happen.

NHS app will provide proof of vaccinations.  Covid tests locations will provide proof (apparently some Boots are doing a £59 version and Gatwick airport has a test centre open to non-flyers - £69)

Edited by beejay

15 hours ago, beejay said:

UK licence is valid.   Green Card document is required.

The EU star circle is no longer permitted on UK registration plates in the EU so  blank it off and fit a GB plate, cover it with a stick on Union flag  or (my choice and only £14) buy new plates with Union flag and GB.

September is a long way off covid-wise so changes may happen.

NHS app will provide proof of vaccinations.  Covid tests locations will provide proof (apparently some Boots are doing a £59 version and Gatwick airport has a test centre open to non-flyers - £69)

Thanks it’s the registration plate standard that I’ve been struggling to get clarification on, would be good to see an image of the new. The sticker idea was my initial preference as it will be a quick and easy solution,  Business opportunity if no one is producing stickers.

You‘ll still need an oval GB sticker regardless of what’s on the number plate.

The EU registration plate, i.e. the ring of stars and the letter GB is the only variation allowed <in the UK> from a standard plate. Therefore putting red cross of St George or a Union flag on the plate makes the plate illegal in the UK.

The advice is to either change the plates for standard UK plates, or put blue tape over the EU symbol/letters. You will also need the old-fashioned oval black-on-white GB sticker - a blue oval with GB (often in gold or white) is NOT acceptable.

Country identifier

From gov.co.uk

Flags, symbols and identifiers

You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)

Cross of St George

Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire

Red Dragon of Wales

The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:

GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB

UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK

CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym

ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng

SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco

WALES or Wales

The flag must be above the identifier. You cannot have the flag or letters on the number plate margin, and neither can be more than 50 millimetres wide.

Travelling in Europe

If your number plate includes the GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a GB sticker. But you will need to display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

a Euro symbol

a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales

numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased stickers with Union flag & GB identifier from eBay , approx. £2 for front and back, covers the EU symbol, cheap and cheerful.

On 10/06/2021 at 08:37, Lutz said:

You‘ll still need an oval GB sticker regardless of what’s on the number plate.

Not so Lutz.  It has been agreed that a Union flag can replace the EU star circle.

Edit:

A GB sticker is not required if the car number plate features  GB  either on its own or accompanied by the Union Jack.

The only exceptions are Spain, Cyprus and Malta - where  a GB plate/sticker is required regardless of the type of number plate fitted.

Edited by beejay
add info

6 hours ago, beejay said:

Not so Lutz.  It has been agreed that a Union flag can replace the EU star circle.

Edit:

A GB sticker is not required if the car number plate features  GB  either on its own or accompanied by the Union Jack.

The only exceptions are Spain, Cyprus and Malta - where  a GB plate/sticker is required regardless of the type of number plate fitted.

Been agreed by whom? Is that the UK Government or the EU. I thought that country identifiers came under the Vienna Convention so if we are no longer in the EU we have to revert to standard GB stickers. To be absolutely sure you are following the rules a separate GB sticker would cover all bases. 

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

1 hour ago, klyne said:

Been agreed by whom? Is that the UK Government or the EU. I thought that country identifiers came under the Vienna Convention so if we are no longer in the EU we have to revert to standard GB stickers. To be absolutely sure you are following the rules a separate GB sticker would cover all bases. 

David

Countries can agree to deviate from the Convention which has nothing to do with the EU. That's why those within the EU/EEA don't have to display a country identifier that conforms to Vienna Convention specifications i.e. the big stick on oval.

This has been previously posted on the forum. Taken from the Govt. Web pages https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-EU#gb-stickers-and-number-plates

GB stickers and number plates

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack).

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a Euro symbol.

• a national flag of England, Scotland  or Wales.

• numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

Edited by Legal Eagle

On 19/06/2021 at 20:35, klyne said:

To be absolutely sure you are following the rules a separate GB sticker would cover all bases. 

:goodpost: Spot on !

When abroad we've always had GB stickers on the rear regardless of what may be on the number plates

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

A  family we visit in France has recently made me aware of one of the consequence of Brexit which now affects them.

Essentially they now have to register with the town hall any UK visitors the are expecting and send on documentation.

Part of the email:

Watch "'Attestation d'Accueil': What is it and do I need one? (YES!) Post-Brexit travel UK - France/EU 2021" on YouTube

• Gordon pinned this topic

There have been widespread posts about this on other forums, and whilst it is strictly 'law' it has never been used for holidaying visitors.   It has actually been in place since 1945 .  I posted jokingly that I suppose someone investigating the ramifications of Brexit found a carbon copy at the bottom of an old filing cabinet and thought 'This'll now apply to Les Rosbifs" but the French Consulate have more or less stated that we who have homes in France won't need to obtain or fill them in for our visitors.  We have stopped worrying about it and are getting on welcoming our visitors, who haven't needed one!

1 hour ago, ValA said:

There have been widespread posts about this on other forums, and whilst it is strictly 'law' it has never been used for holidaying visitors.   It has actually been in place since 1945 . ....

We have stopped worrying about it and are getting on welcoming our visitors, who haven't needed one!

Good to know.  We toured France regularly pre our entry to EEC and never bothered.

The friend who sent the email with the link is a French national, so clearly doing the rounds with French residents.

According to news bulletin the EU and Uk are nearing a deal for travellers with 2 jabs to go ahead ...I await with keen interest

29 minutes ago, colin h said:

According to news bulletin the EU and Uk are nearing a deal for travellers with 2 jabs to go ahead ...I await with keen interest

BUT....you may have to isolate once you reach your EU destination according to other sources.....I await with keen interest also but won't be holding my breathe!

Edited by charlieboy2608

You are ok for France on 2 jabs & no quarantine. We went over Sat on tunnel & French official never even checked our paperwork. That’s how bothered they are. 

13 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

You are ok for France on 2 jabs & no quarantine. We went over Sat on tunnel & French official never even checked our paperwork. That’s how bothered they are. 

Yes I did read your post with envy :-)

Unfortunately the situation is constantly changing so I watch with frustration.....:-(

Article in the telegraph this morning saying that after all this they are moving to a UK sticker instead of GB.  There will be a lot of p'd off people who have just stuck a great circle to the back of their vehicles!

5 hours ago, reedyontour said:

Article in the telegraph this morning saying that after all this they are moving to a UK sticker instead of GB.  There will be a lot of p'd off people who have just stuck a great circle to the back of their vehicles!

They are not exactly mega bucks though are they??  Less than a couple of quid.

It would appear that it’s the U.K. Govt who are looking at the change so that it is “Inclusive” of Northern Ireland :rolleyes: 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

It would appear that it’s the U.K. Govt who are looking at the change so that it is “Inclusive” of Northern Ireland :rolleyes: 

Not sure why you feel the need for the Emoticon, unless of-course you think Northern Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. Vehicles from Northern Ireland have always been required to use the GB plate /sticker when abroad, even though they are not part of GB.  Many drivers over the years have opted to use either NI or IRL as an alternative, thinking they were more relevant, though neither was legal. Hopefully, once the regulation is changed, using UK will be seen as more appropriate. 

11 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

They are not exactly mega bucks though are they??  Less than a couple of quid.

Eurotunnel were giving them away when we crossed on the 13th June.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ValA said:

Eurotunnel were giving them away when we crossed on the 13th June.  

Was that U.K. or G.B. ones? 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not sure why you feel the need for the Emoticon, unless of-course you think Northern Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. Vehicles from Northern Ireland have always been required to use the GB plate /sticker when abroad, even though they are not part of GB.  Many drivers over the years have opted to use either NI or IRL as an alternative, thinking they were more relevant, though neither was legal. Hopefully, once the regulation is changed, using UK will be seen as more appropriate. 

Exactly !, so why the need to change things?? I bet very few Europeans know how many, or which, countries make up the “United Kingdom” and, does it really matter? If a vehicle is displaying a GB sticker and the authorities wish to trace the owner/driver they would make application to DVLA. If it’s displaying U.K. they will do exactly the same, so why the change? Hence my :rolleyes: emoticon, to my mind it’s just plain pointless, but probably a political move to try, in some way, to please Stormont (please note, no emoticon) 

IRL is a legal identifier The full list  but I think only applies to the Republic not NI which is part of? GB! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

if nothing else it proves the depth of thought put into these changes, go down a particular changed route on the 1st Jan 2021, then change to something completely different again on 28th September 2021.

Can't leave anybody impressed with the diligence of the thinking process, maybe why it was thought necessary to do it in secret.