Roof vents green stuff on them!

I have three roof vents on the roof of my caravan. One at the front one at the back in the bathroom and one in the middle.  Two are the spring up type and one is a hinge type. They all have green stuff like algie on them. Very difficult to clean from inside would my roof be strong enough to support me to clean in and around them? 2014 Sterling Eccles van.

Or has anyone taken them off to clean on a dry day of course.

any advice much appreciated!

i very much doubt the roof would support an adult

macafee2

The spring type are easy. Just pop

open, then take the screws out of the arms (fixed frame end), carefully pull arms off the post, then you can lift /twist the top part and then lower it through the hatchway (it just fits diagonally through the frame)

Refitting is the reverse of removing 

Ladder against the sides, then reach with a long broom but roof will not take your weight. 

Or stand inside on a chair and reach out. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Long arm car washing brush, bucket (to take brush) of warm water and about 50ml of Muck-Off. Will shift the green in seconds. Rinse with clean water.

Then give it a second going over with car wash and wax (Simoniz is very good) and it will stay clean.

Useful tip: whilst you have the bucket of Muck-Off solution, open the lights and from inside clean around the outside edge that joins onto the roof - you wouldn't believe how much muck gets in there!!

On 07/06/2021 at 18:09, Lost in the wilderness said:

The spring type are easy. Just pop

open, then take the screws out of the arms (fixed frame end), carefully pull arms off the post, then you can lift /twist the top part and then lower it through the hatchway (it just fits diagonally through the frame)

Refitting is the reverse of removing 

Ok thanks 

On 07/06/2021 at 18:01, macafee2 said:

i very much doubt the roof would support an adult

macafee2

Only 76 kg 🤣🤣

8 minutes ago, ged600 said:

Ok thanks 

Only 76 kg 🤣🤣

it is a caravan roof, roof rails/bars on a car may take a 100kg but that is at engineered points, i doubt there are such points on a caravan roof.

At 76kg I'd not climb on my caravan roof

macafee2

A 2014 Swift Group caravan will have a bonded roof.  Swift don't recommend you climb on it but plenty do (including me in the past @ 80kgs).  Being up there makes it much easier to clean things and I still do it at the start of each year to polish the roof, however a few things to be aware of if you do this:

• It's a long way to fall onto a hard driveway!
  • Swift don't endorse it.
  • Wear rubber soled shoes to help grip.
  • Use a sheet of polystyrene insulation or similar to spread the load.
  • Take a mobile phone with you*

*I knocked the ladder over once while on the roof of ours and then spent half an hour shouting before my wife came out.

Nowadays I try not to go up there if at all possible, but if I do, I take the precautions above.

Edited by GaryB1969

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

On 10/06/2021 at 12:28, GaryB1969 said:

A 2014 Swift Group caravan will have a bonded roof.  Swift don't recommend you climb on it but plenty do (including me in the past @ 80kgs).  Being up there makes it much easier to clean things and I still do it at the start of each year to polish the roof, however a few things to be aware of if you do this:

• It's a long way to fall onto a hard driveway!
  • Swift don't endorse it.
  • Wear rubber soled shoes to help grip.
  • Use a sheet of polystyrene insulation or similar to spread the load.
  • Take a mobile phone with you*

*I knocked the ladder over once while on the roof of ours and then spent half an hour shouting before my wife came out.

Nowadays I try not to go up there if at all possible, but if I do, I take the precautions above.

Cheers I was going to lie on the roof on a piece of hardboard.

1 hour ago, ged600 said:

Cheers I was going to lie on the roof on a piece of hardboard.

I've used a couple of scaffold boards in the past that go just over the width of the caravan.

Stronger than hardboard too :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Got them cleaned the front hinged one was easy the push up ones are a nightmare they’re in two halves and are screwed together didn’t fancy tackling those so just cleaned around the edges. 

If on the outside simply spray with"Wet and Forget" and leave to dry.  It kills algae leaving a film to prevent it forming again. Rain washes off dead moss and algae.

I treat my caravan in the  autumn after washing and before overwinter storage.  It emerges in the spring algae and moss free.

http://www.wetandforget.com/blog/2019/04/12/rv-camping-and-vacation-tips/

3 hours ago, CliveB said:

If on the outside simply spray with"Wet and Forget" and leave to dry.  It kills algae leaving a film to prevent it forming again. Rain washes off dead moss and algae.

I treat my caravan in the  autumn after washing and before overwinter storage.  It emerges in the spring algae and moss free.

http://www.wetandforget.com/blog/2019/04/12/rv-camping-and-vacation-tips/

I use Wet & Forget on the patio and it’s amazingly good. Are you comfortable that it’s harmless to all caravan surfaces including acrylic roof lights, windows, walls etc?

40 minutes ago, Benchillian said:

I use Wet & Forget on the patio and it’s amazingly good. Are you comfortable that it’s harmless to all caravan surfaces including acrylic roof lights, windows, walls etc?

I've used it on every part of the caravan with no adverse results.

If you follow the link I gave it lists all the RV surfaces on which it is safe to use - all materials used in caravan construction and awnings.

As a bonus to preventing algae and moss, I'm pretty sure from my observations that it pretty much eliminates the black streaks.  What there are simply wash off with a snow foam cleaner at the start of the season.

Thanks, Clive.  Useful to hear your experience with it.