Insurance Hike

Yes I did read the reviews for Comfort & they seemed ok. I did get a slightly cheaper quote but that broker’s website looked so scrappy I did not bother. Comfort seemed ok. Their website was good. The t&c’s were clear & detailed but nowhere near as complicated as Towergate & the website was good. Also Comfort did not do online quotes. You had to phone them & their staff were very helpful. Obviously though you don’t find out how good any insurer is until you claim. 

Just received my renewal price , and to justify an increase they say I am getting 12 months cover instead of 10 months.

They will try anything.

I think you will find a 10 month year is the metric Euro Year. So you are getting a 20% increased cover. 😅

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

17 hours ago, WispMan said:

I think you will find a 10 month year is the metric Euro Year. So you are getting a 20% increased cover. 😅

Just checked, according to my calendar it’s not 1st April ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

All our insurances fall at more or less the same time..

Reading the tales of woe we seem to be pretty lucky.

Caravan - £20 increase

Car - Same as last year

Dogs - £5 increase

House - £10 decrease

I know that's an overall increase but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't worth arguing, CAMHC, LV and Sainsburys.

Can anyone recommend an insurance hub to search for caravan insurance quotes?  I looked on Moneysupermarket but there does not seem to be a category for touring caravans.  Confused.com have one although I need to register.

MSE don't seem to have any articles on Caravan Insurance.

Safeguard and Ripe are mentioned on this thread.  there are the Club ones of course.  We are with Towergate and the premium has gone up by 9%, not a huge amount I suppose but I would still like to shop around.  

It would take ages to call each insurance company individually.  I guess the Club ones and Aviva won't feature on any search sites.

Aviva don't cover caravans.

Well, did a quote search on Compare the Market and the Towergate premium came out similar to last year's premium £170.34 (Market Value).  There were a number of cheaper ones that I had never heard of (InsureMy, Ripe & Adrian Flux).

I called Towergate and they said I could let the policy lapse and proceed with the Compare the Market quote or they could offer me a discount on this year's premium of £189.  This was £158.96. Exactly the same terms.  I certainly wasn't expecting that much of a discount.

Result!

I have been using Adrian Flux to insure my motorhome for the past 9 yrs and I can only give them the highest rating.

No-one on Go Compare could match their price for same cover and probably their Customer Service.

Just in case anyone is interested. :)

I always contact insurance companies direct (regardless of what I want covered) rather than use a comparison website. Those websites don’t operate for free so where does their income come from? Certainly not the generous heart of an insurance company, which leaves? The person paying the premium! 

I too have had to give up on Club Care after 15 years insuring my caravans with them.

Last year they added an understandable £100 “loading” because I’d had a damage claim. This year the premium went up 50%! When I phoned to check and update the new for old cover they added another £100 taking it to more than twice what I was paying 2 years ago.

It appears that they have changed underwriter again and everything is coming out much more expensive. With that attitude I hope they price themselves out of the market.

I’m  now with CaravanGuard for the same premium that I paid ClubCare last year.

Nothing wrong with Caravanguard but they annoy me by insisting on a hitch lock which has virtually no security value.

Aviva do caravan insurance but it is normally through brokers schemes and the danger is the claims are dealt with by agencies and some of these get terrible reviews. 

12 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Nothing wrong with Caravanguard but they annoy me by insisting on a hitch lock which has virtually no security value.

Aviva do caravan insurance but it is normally through brokers schemes and the danger is the claims are dealt with by agencies and some of these get terrible reviews. 

Absolutely right Wildwood.

With insurance I shopped about for the first couple of years then when we bought a more expensive nearly new van went onto the CMHC cover. The premiums do generally go up year on year but I always break the increase down to a daily rate, usually only a few pence. I figure it's worth it being with the best. Their requirements are simple and sensible regarding security. Peace of mind is more important to me than saving the cost of a couple of meals out and worrying if you're going to have a fight on your hands should you need to claim.

And your view that CMHC are any better than the other insurers is based on what evidence??

I do tend to agree about CC though.  When I changed van from Vanmaster to current, my then insurer required me to have two AL-KO Locks whenever van unaccompanied - nightmare territory.  CC do give a discount if you do that but without the discount CC cheaper and just requiring one device when on site and one AL-KO when in storage.  They treated me well with my one and only claim.

23 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

And your view that CMHC are any better than the other insurers is based on what evidence??

Apart from having a claim and appreciating the way it was dealt with, I can read a policy and having looked at several others, I can say that the club policy is a fair bit better than most. Some have less cover or are more harshly worded.

You also have to look at the reputation which while a bit less tangible is the best. They have a reputation for fast and fair settlements with very little in the way of complaints, which certainly does not apply to some of their competitors, who compete basically on price. Some cannot even boast a DEFAQTO four star rating never mind five. 

There are others worth looking at but there are others I would not touch and after over 45 years in the industry I do know the difference. 

But what’s to say your particular claim would have been dealt with any worse/better by another company?? I am referring specifically to the other known “major players” in the caravan insurance field rather than the somewhat dubious ones that precious few of us have even heard of (and I wouldn’t touch with someone else’s barge pole) that have these sneaky caveats buried in the small print.

I am not trying to decry/counter/disagree with your statement at all, just playing a bit of “devils advocate” 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Last year new for old Saga Caravan Insurance £268 it is stored on our drive, this year £298 ?, contacted them to inform the 5 year the Tracker had come to an end, new price £324.08

Perhaps you could get the premium back down with some other firm of security rather than a tracker?

I have never found Saga to be anything other than vastly more expensive for anything than others offering the same! Same with NFU, some rate them very highly but they have never been anywhere approaching competitive for me (house, car, caravan insurance) 

Clearly time to shop around and vote with your feet! 

19 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But what’s to say your particular claim would have been dealt with any worse/better by another company?? I am referring specifically to the other known “major players” in the caravan insurance field rather than the somewhat dubious ones that precious few of us have even heard of (and I wouldn’t touch with someone else’s barge pole) that have these sneaky caveats buried in the small print.

I am not trying to decry/counter/disagree with your statement at all, just playing a bit of “devils advocate” 

I appreciate my claim could have been handled by other companies just as well but not better. The simple point is that the CAMH policy has very good cover and none of the limits or exclusions that some others have. It has an unrivalled reputation for service, and despite it being higher priced than many people stick with it because they know it is a very good service and they are unlikely to get better elsewhere.

If they did not continually keep up this standard, they could not keep this level of loyalty. Those who opt for the cheapest policies have to understand that to keep the price at the lower level you have to cut something out and the difference is far too great to be simple efficiency. 

Sometimes proof is not easy to find and you do have to take somethings on trust. The policy though does get a DEFAQTO five star rating which ensures it  is one of the best and the continuous praise it  gets for its claims service means that you can be sure you are in safe hands there. 

It is not head and shoulders ahead of the best, but up there and at least equal to  hem. Personally I think the premiums can be a bit too high and I have the C&CC policy, which is very similar but for me rather less costly. Again it has excellent service and cover as has Caravanguard and some others so I am not blind to the alternatives. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.