Insurance Hike

Its the dreaded time of year to re insure the van, in April two insurances I took out, one was cheaper than last year the other £1 dearer. My insurance quote via Camping and Caravanning has gone up more than 15%. I know rated will change for Jan 2022 but we are a long way off from that. Anyone else seen such rises?

Shop around plenty of competition for you business. My own experience of both caravan and car insurance is favourable prices but you have to ask e.g initial quote for car was £520 ended up at £380.

I’m with Safeguard. My premium (new for old on a 2019 Coachman) went down this year

Posted (edited)

Just had the same problem myself with camping and caravan insurance. 

I have a coachman Vip   mine went up £100 this year 

I said how can it go up that much and his only reply was some other people’s have gone up by more

i did shop around afterwards quite a few wouldn’t give me a quote because new for old price has risen above £30k 

cheapest price I got like for like was only cheaper by £20

so reluctantly stayed with them but it is ridiculous hike 

Edited by Mike89000

Just got renewal from Ripe. Same premium as last year. Just went for basic market value cover. Id be happy with that if it got wrecked. All contents stuff of value covered by house insurance. (2016 Bailey Cadiz - Premium £132)

My quote went from £100 last year to  £300 in February. Needless to say I shopped around and reduced it. 

I wonder if the premiums have gone up in anticipation of a large number of claims caused by inexperienced towers? 

5 hours ago, CPDavis said:

Just got renewal from Ripe. Same premium as last year. Just went for basic market value cover. Id be happy with that if it got wrecked. All contents stuff of value covered by house insurance. (2016 Bailey Cadiz - Premium £132)

Check the claims reviews of any insurer before committing. They all get 5* when they're taking your premiums, different matter when it's payout time. 

My thoughts are its not worth saving a few pence a day if you're going to have to fight for a  payout

You have to fight for any payout from every jnsurance company its their default setting, 

16 minutes ago, Richie43 said:

You have to fight for any payout from every jnsurance company its their default setting, 

Well that wasn't my experience with CMC caravan cover.  They couldn't have been more helpful / ready to assist.  And what's more - when I subsequently submitted a claim for my fuel costs for taking / collecting the van from the repairers (600 miles), they actually paid me more than I had claimed because they calculated it differently - plus I received the cheque (through the post) within 48 hours of submitting the claim.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

On a similar matter, I have just renewed my jaguar car insurance. My existing insurer put the cost up from £226 to £260, I shopped aground and got the same  insurance  for £160. Fully comprehensive for two drivers, this was just before the clamp down on insurers being stopped for offering cheaper insurance to new customers over existing customers.

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to caravanning in 2019. Shortly after, I scraped a panel on my van and had a £1000 repair claim on my insurance. I renewed with Clubcare in 2020 and it went up slightly (to around £160) but I have just received a letter giving me a renewal quote of £577!!!!!

I assumed it was a mistake and called them. After three calls featuring a combined wait of over an hour, I was told "its because you had a claim". I couldnt believe what I was hearing! They are going to raise my premium by almost half of the cost of the claim. I might as well have paid for the repair myself!

Of course I went elsewhere and got it for £200

Anyone else had such a stiff rise from Clubcare??

Our caravan is with the  C&CC and went up marginally at renewal. I did get a couple of other quotes but nobody I would use  was seriously better so I have stayed where I am.

Edited by Wildwood

Also with ClubCare, last years price  £252, this years price £391.

No claims, exactly the same cover but they had no explanation for the massive hike.

Gone with a different company now.

Ours renewed in March and may be things have changed since then. 

17 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Also with ClubCare, last years price  £252, this years price £391.

No claims, exactly the same cover but they had no explanation for the massive hike.

Gone with a different company now.

Who are you with now?

30 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Who are you with now?

We are now insured with Happy Place. 

History and review checked out ok, and although I had never heard of them before, they have been around for a long time.

I had not heard of them so I looked them up. Seems to be part of Caravanguard so should be safe bet.

Towergate wanted £339 for renewal so I went with Comfort insurance same cover new for old & 182 days abroad for £228. Actual insurance is with Aviva.

Possibly hiked premiums is because industry is getting more claims due to increased popularity of caravanning & inexperienced towers having accidents & we all have to pay. 

Edited by Camperdom

On 21/06/2021 at 16:25, firehound said:

I returned to caravanning in 2019. Shortly after, I scraped a panel on my van and had a £1000 repair claim on my insurance. I renewed with Clubcare in 2020 and it went up slightly (to around £160) but I have just received a letter giving me a renewal quote of £577!!!!!

I assumed it was a mistake and called them. After three calls featuring a combined wait of over an hour, I was told "its because you had a claim". I couldnt believe what I was hearing! They are going to raise my premium by almost half of the cost of the claim. I might as well have paid for the repair myself!

Of course I went elsewhere and got it for £200

Anyone else had such a stiff rise from Clubcare??

Yes. 

Same van as last year, same people.  No claims. No change in any circumstances.

Renewal quote was a small fraction more than DOUBLE last years premium.

No explanation from ClubCare.

Readers will be shocked to learn we are no longer insured with ClubCare.

When I spoke to ClubCare, they told me the insurers had been giving discounts in recent years that they shouldnt have, and that was the reason for the extortionate rise. Its just insurance speak for 'we aren't making enough money' I guess?

I have only had one claim for a caravan which was for a failed theft attempt leaving £11000's worth of damage.  Following year stayed with Caravan Club - lost part of no claims bonus.  Fair enough!

13 hours ago, firehound said:

When I spoke to ClubCare, they told me the insurers had been giving discounts in recent years that they shouldnt have, and that was the reason for the extortionate rise. Its just insurance speak for 'we aren't making enough money' I guess?

They might say that, but I don't believe it. 

I can't quite get my head around the idea of an insurance company taking their eye off of the ball so badly that they, absent-mindedly, gave massive discounts to customers. 

They were demanding a 100% increase in premium from me without the slightest change in circumstances or risk.

The only conclusion I can reach is that, for some reason, I was no longer the type of customer they wanted to keep although I can't think of any explanation for that.

Imagine how many people are too busy to check bills and just let the auto renew go through without changing companies. I bet they make a pretty penny

3 hours ago, wonkystonky said:

Imagine how many people are too busy to check bills and just let the auto renew go through without changing companies. I bet they make a pretty penny

Yes I learned that lesson in 2006 when we flew off to Oz for 3 months with the house insurance on autorenewal while we were away.  The premium shot up by 50% as I discovered too late. The next year it was cheaper than previously - surprise surprise I'd cancelled the autorenewal!

On 25/06/2021 at 18:03, Camperdom said:

Towergate wanted £339 for renewal so I went with Comfort insurance same cover new for old & 182 days abroad for £228. Actual insurance is with Aviva.

Possibly hiked premiums is because industry is getting more claims due to increased popularity of caravanning & inexperienced towers having accidents & we all have to pay. 

I think when looking at these scheme quotes you have to check out who deals with the claims. I would not worry about the Aviva claims service but many schemes claims are dealt with by the brokers agents and some of them are atrocious.  Do check the firm out not on the ease of set ting the policy up or renewal, but on the claims service and there are few you will not touch.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.