Truma gas heater - smell and blow heating

We have just upgraded from our little old 90s Elddis to a newer 2006 Swift - might not seem like much of an upgrade to some people on this forum, but we are delighted :) All has been well maintained and in great order but I've just a couple of questions about the Truma gas heater.

I started the heater last night and it fired up no problem and got hot but there was an absolute stink from it, like burning plastic. Now, it's possible that it was just dust burning off, as it's been in storage for a long time, but is there anything else I should be looking out for?

Second daft question - there is no blow heating unless plugged into the mains, right? Off-grid the Truma gas heater will just act like an old-fashioned little gas heater, correct?

Thanks!

IMG_4013.jpg

It could just be dust if you have no suspicion's of anything that could have fallen on to the heat-exchanger.

The fan is 12v so the control panel above the door needs to be turned on for the fan to run. 

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, Gavin Smith said:

Off-grid the Truma gas heater will just act like an old-fashioned little gas heater, correct?

Your Truma gas heater will work the same whether you're on or off grid.   The TEB blower will work off your caravan battery - so long as it's kept charged.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

After you have had your heater on for about 15min's you can then turn on the fan. The control on the right of your heater is the fan control, set it on #3 and move the switch on to A (for automatic) and the fan should come on, if it does't come on then it could be that control is broken, they are not cheap. 

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1020067/truma-ultraheat-teb-control-panel-knob-for-fire-

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Out first van had this type of heater, and it would stink the first time of use in a season. 
I found that removing the front cover (just pulls off)  and giving it a good dust/hoover before use would significantly reduce, but not eliminate the smell 

Re the fan, make sure to check it’s set to off when not using, it can run very quietly, and flatten the battery

Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I turned the heater on again, turned the heater on max and opened the windows. After 20 mins, the smell was gone, so it must have just been dust or something. Very pleased!

I didn't realise the blower would work off the battery too. I don't see a switch that mentions the blower but I will investigate.

2 hours ago, Gavin Smith said:

I didn't realise the blower would work off the battery too. I don't see a switch that mentions the blower but I will investigate.

The control on the right side of the heater is for the van. The rotary knob sets the speed. The three position switch below the rotary sets the fan to manual (speed set by rotary), off and automatic. In automatic mode, the fan will run at various speeds up to the maximum you set on rotary. 

On 06/06/2021 at 14:56, Gavin Smith said:

Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I turned the heater on again, turned the heater on max and opened the windows. After 20 mins, the smell was gone, so it must have just been dust or something. Very pleased!

I did mention how the fan works in my post #4.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

1 hour ago, Doosan said:

I did mention how the fan works in my post #4.

I know - you can read my text as "I didn't realise the blower would work off the battery too, before reading this thread" :) Thanks again.