Revenge on the selfish idiots

Marcusp

My pet hate is service stations rhat have designated parking area for caravans that are then used by white van man or other thoughtless and inconsiderate idiots.

we travelled to the North Lakes yesterday from the midlands via the M6 and pulled in to Keele services to find 12 designated caravan bays and only two caravans and a motorhome parked in the bays.. unfortunately there were seven other bays taken up by white van man, cars and a motor bike despite there being numerous free normal spaces nearby and a number of clear signs saying caravans only parking penalty of £100 for incorrectly parking.

call it a little imature but i took great delight in putting my new found toy on the offending vehicles and watching a number of drivers retuning to their vehicle with a look of dismay on their faces.

It was £10 well spent in my view and just a shame that these service stations dont enforce their own notices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323815105657

11 minutes ago, Marcusp said:

just a shame that these service stations dont enforce their own notices

I’m sure they don’t hesitate when caravans take spaces dedicated for coaches and HGVs, or park over two spaces for solo cars

Posted (edited)

Ha ha, nice one indeed !!! 

A bit childish perhaps, but so satisfying I am sure. I might have to get myself some of those. 

I do agree with you that it really really annoys me when bays that are provided for specific groups (caravans, coaches, HGV’s, parents and children, disabled etc etc are abused by those who are just to bone idle to walk another 25 metres and park elsewhere. I can often be heard callingbto people across supermarket car larks “Hey, you have forgotten your child, you cannot leave them alone in your car when shopping!” I get some very “interesting” responses, Non if them polite! My response is usually something like “You clearly know you are in the wrong as you fell the need to be abusive to cover up your embarrassment!  

When serving as a copper I longed for the offence of “Parking like a Pratt ” to be available to me. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Posted (edited)

Same services and I parked up to wait for a space taken by a Luton van, when the driver returned all I got was abuse.

Edited by Steven
Unacceptable language

Yes very annoying. :angry:

I have also found that a number of defined motorway caravan parking slots are not suitable for longer units and are inaccessible so drive on to the next and so on.

Some I have stayed at have signs for caravans being directed to the same area as HGV's with no area separation for the two types when I get there so end up parking with/between the HGV's.

At a gnats over 42ft it can be a problem but obviously the HGV slots are fine by me.

I always feel guilty though taking up spots this way although directed to do so when some HGV's for Tacho reasons are required to stop and maybe don't have the option to carry on. :unsure:

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ha ha, nice one indeed !!! 

A bit childish perhaps, but so satisfying I am sure. I might have to get myself some of those. 

I do agree with you that it really really annoys me when bays that are provided for specific groups (caravans, coaches, HGV’s, parents and children, disabled etc etc are abused by those who are just to bone idle to walk another 25 metres and park elsewhere. I can often be heard callingbto people across supermarket car larks “Hey, you have forgotten your child, you cannot leave them alone in your car when shopping!” I get some very “interesting” responses, Non if them polite! My response is usually something like “You clearly know you are in the wrong as you fell the need to be abusive to cover up your embarrassment!  

When serving as a copper I longed for the offence of “Parking like a Pratt ” to be available to me. 

Ah! The ways and means Act 1902 section 12 if I remember.  Just after the Section 11 offence of Drunk and Refusing to Fight and before Section 13 Looking at me the wrong way.  :ph34r:

Ploughing the M1 and M25 as I do once every couple of weeks finding a pull in when nature calls can be problematic.

Many of the HGV slots are open to us and I've never yet had a problem from the drivers themselves.  Where I di have a problem these days is the horrendous state of some of the areas.  They are not pot holes but craters big enough to do serious damage in some areas.

1 hour ago, Marcusp said:

My pet hate is service stations rhat have designated parking area for caravans that are then used by white van man or other thoughtless and inconsiderate idiots.

we travelled to the North Lakes yesterday from the midlands via the M6 and pulled in to Keele services to find 12 designated caravan bays and only two caravans and a motorhome parked in the bays.. unfortunately there were seven other bays taken up by white van man, cars and a motor bike despite there being numerous free normal spaces nearby and a number of clear signs saying caravans only parking penalty of £100 for incorrectly parking.

call it a little imature but i took great delight in putting my new found toy on the offending vehicles and watching a number of drivers retuning to their vehicle with a look of dismay on their faces.

It was £10 well spent in my view and just a shame that these service stations dont enforce their own notices

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323815105657

what have the service station managers said when you have spoken to them about the problem?

macafee2

Possibly the problem is that we visit any single services possibly only once or twice but white van man may do this regularly. On that basis they ae not wanting to upset him as he spends money,  we  bring our own food and drink and do nothing more than use the toilet. They are providing large expensive areas for people who are the least profitable.

2 hours ago, Marcusp said:

. unfortunately there were seven other bays taken up by white van man, cars and a motor bike

Last  time I drove to the Lake District, I used the M1/A1 motorways and called in at Wetherby Services.   There, they have an area for coaches and a dozen or so bays for caravans.   Being a summer lunchtime when I called in, it was very busy.    A notice forbids cars and HGVs from using it and they had an attendant on duty to see it was enforced.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

So far as I can tell, unless there are designated caravan parking bays, then caravans are entitled to park along with the HGVs if a bay is available. We've overnighted in service areas more than once, paying the full 24 hour fee of course. We just make sure the car and van are never left unattended. Of course we use designated caravan bays if they're available, but if not earplugs help to block out any noise. 

Abuse sometimes happens the other way round. Last time coming home down the M6 we stopped at Charnock Richard for a quick trip to the loo. I was standing by the outfit waiting for MoH to return (they always take longer, don’t they?) HGV driver shouting at me to move off so he could use the bay, couldn’t understand that I couldn’t drive away and leave the wife at the services! Some people are TAPS.

22 hours ago, Wildwood said:

Possibly the problem is that we visit any single services possibly only once or twice but white van man may do this regularly. On that basis they ae not wanting to upset him as he spends money,  we  bring our own food and drink and do nothing more than use the toilet. They are providing large expensive areas for people who are the least profitable.

On the other hand, while they may not like it, all official motorway service areas (MSAs  with official road signs directing people to them) must by law provide at least two hours free parking for all road users.

Unlike town councils, MSAs have no authority to issue fines or other parking tickets if you overstay, however they can pursue you through court action for any lost revenue but will have to pay for this 'service' so may not consider it worthwhile.

I detest inconsiderate driver's actions, whether it is by poor road use or parking without any thought for others.

image.png

Not all parking facilities are appropriate for the vehicles they're intended for . . .

image.png

Although sometimes poor parking can raise a smile . . .

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The best signage i saw was at a pull in spot on the A9. It read ‘Parking for the disabled and those who can’t read’. 

4 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

The best signage i saw was at a pull in spot on the A9. It read ‘Parking for the disabled and those who can’t read’. 

Nice :D

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Although I do find that its clear some of these services are provided under sufferance.  Car/Caravan spots that are near impossible to get into straight so you end up crossing lines or not long enough for anything other than a car and small trailer. My biggest bug bare is petrol stations that don't allow you to drive straight though but have the shop in front of you creating a 90deg turn. I do believe the C&MHC/C&CC should have some input into planning especially motorway service areas. I'm probably not the only one who as fallen foul of the Little Chef square car park with one entry/exit in days gone bye.

Stopped a a motorway services (can’t recall where). The caravan bays were good size, well marked and good signage. The bays themselves were angled so easy to enter, but drive in / reverse out, so you had to have someone to “see you back” as you exited. Could have been a problem for solo traveler. 

Posted (edited)

I stopped off at Tamworth service station today whilst towing, they have a shared designated area for HGV & caravans, with restricted ;parking times.

The bays are double length, so the front bays get filled with anyone else having to park behind them. Problem is, you can't move off until the vehicle in front has driven away. With HGV's requiring set amount of time for breaks, I chose to park behind another caravan instead of a HGV for this reason, and thankfully the other caravan moved off after 20 mins on my arrival. I soon followed them as the stench of truckers urine was too overpowering to stay any longer.

My other problem is that I may get a fine for staying there as the number plate on the back of my caravan had become detached unknowingly, so their ANPR will have detected my arrival, but won't have detected my departure. For all they know, I'm still there!!

Edited by JCCD

6 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Stopped a a motorway services (can’t recall where). The caravan bays were good size, well marked and good signage. The bays themselves were angled so easy to enter, but drive in / reverse out, so you had to have someone to “see you back” as you exited. Could have been a problem for solo traveler. 

Membury Services (M4) westbound is exactly like that. Eastbound is shared with HGVs.

As stated on another post - the Caravan Bays at Donnington  on the M1 currently have four European trucks (tractor units) parked in them and it looks as though they have been there ages presumably with the agreement of the services owners.

This picture is also at Donnington Services on the M1.image.png

Sometimes I wonder if drivers realise what class of vehicle they are driving .

:blush:

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

It was wonderful when the masses were locked down. Service stations were bliss to visit.

On more than one occasion i have parked in front of a row of idiots and gone to the loos.

Lorry car parks have some horrific pot holes in them

20210206_111230.jpg

On 03/06/2021 at 10:03, macafee2 said:

what have the service station managers said when you have spoken to them about the problem?

macafee2

You’d imagine they’d say something along the lines of,

“Sorry, nothing to do with us,  The vehicle parking areas are wholly operated and managed by XYZ parking services.  You’ll find their contact details on any one of their many signs around the parking areas.  Have a nice day.”

4 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

You’d imagine they’d say something along the lines of,

“Sorry, nothing to do with us,  The vehicle parking areas are wholly operated and managed by XYZ parking services.  You’ll find their contact details on any one of their many signs around the parking areas.  Have a nice day.”

then ask xyz about it.

those thtaa know of the problem and do nothing are part of the problem :)

macafee2