Kampa 390Air Pro Exploded !

kaz46

Hi

We have a Kampa 390 Air Pro  that has exploded on one of the main Front tubes.  
Not only has it exploded the bladder tube but also the outer sleeve and the outside cover that is the actual part awning !!!!!

It has been blown up to the correct psi which Iv always used as it is set in the pump between 9 10 psi 

It is approx 4 years old and on our 2/3rd time using it had faded which we thought was the normal thing that happened to these awnings.

I have phoned Kampa and shown them photos of the  problem we have had and their reply is as follows :-

“My manager has looked over your images and confirmed that the UV damage to the flysheet has in turn caused the air parts to fail “

To me this is saying the the SUN has caused this problem and in my opinion that means this product is not fit for purpose as it shouldn’t be used in the sun?     I also told them of the discolouration of the awning this happened very early on when we had just bought the awning they said we should of informed of this as it shouldn’t of done that.

I cannot believe what has happened to our awning and on loser inspection we have also found all  other air pipes are also bulging 

it is too expensive to repair 3 sleeves and one bladder also  and  awning it self so that is another expense to get it repaired 

I would like to know if others have had this problem 

Obviously not the reply you want. We have two Kampala air awnings so this is of interest to us. One thing that jumps out at me is you say other tubes are bulging. How confident are you that the cut off/gauge on your pump is accurate  (I'm assuming it's an electric pump) and you have not  over pressurized it. 

I say this because I'm always mindful if I inflate it on a cool evening and then we get really hot days (like now) no doubt the tubes are vastly inflated.

If it's just a hand pump the suggestion is you can't physically over inflate.

Good luck with your claim.

We were at Ross Park last Sept and there was an almighty bang. We all woke from are afternoon nap. 

It was a Kampa Air awning in the next row. Ruined by the look of it. 

If you pump it up to hard and the air heats inside it will overinflate-happens in this hot weather-which is why we bought outdoor revolution-they have a overpressure release valve so they can't be overinflated. Not helpful to you now but might for the future.

We had a 2017 Kampa Rally 390 Plus and (from memory) the instructions with that were 6 to 7 psi maximum. I might be wrong as we have now replaced it with an Isabella. Our Kampa faded badly during our ownership which saw it being used for a total of five full weeks a year in the UK. It was a good design but the materials just didn’t seem very robust.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Our poled Kampa awning failed after a few summers in the South of France!

UV degradation destroyed the roof!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

56 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

We had a 2017 Kampa Rally 390 Plus and (from memory) the instructions with that were 6 to 7 psi maximum. I might be wrong as we have now replaced it with an Isabella. Our Kampa faded badly during our ownership which saw it being used for a total of five full weeks a year in the UK. It was a good design but the materials just didn’t seem very robust.

Just checked mine and my setting for the electric pump is 65kpa which is 9.5psi usually go below that about 9psi.  But in fairness my gauge could be miles out.🤤

5 hours ago, CraigP2005 said:

Obviously not the reply you want. We have two Kampala air awnings so this is of interest to us. One thing that jumps out at me is you say other tubes are bulging. How confident are you that the cut off/gauge on your pump is accurate  (I'm assuming it's an electric pump) and you have not  over pressurized it. 

I say this because I'm always mindful if I inflate it on a cool evening and then we get really hot days (like now) no doubt the tubes are vastly inflated.

If it's just a hand pump the suggestion is you can't physically over inflate.

Good luck with your claim.

Hi yes your right in the manual it says between 9-11 psi we have never blown it Higher than 10 I always have a feel at the tubes and turn off the pump before it reaches 10 that’s normally around psi and it was the new pump supplied and recommend by Kampa the Gale pump, I can’t be sure of the pressure but what is the point in having a pump to pump to the correct psi if it doesn’t ? And they don’t tell you that it may need calibrating.

3 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

If you pump it up to hard and the air heats inside it will overinflate-happens in this hot weather-which is why we bought outdoor revolution-they have a overpressure release valve so they can't be overinflated. Not helpful to you now but might for the future.

Thank you that’s very helpful but still this has never been mentioned to us and it’s not in the manual 

They reckon 16 weeks total erected is the life of a nylon tent due to UV degradation so if awning is nylon then it has probably had it after 4 years use. 

3 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

They reckon 16 weeks total erected is the life of a nylon tent due to UV degradation so if awning is nylon then it has probably had it after 4 years use. 

It’s not nylon it’s the heavy duty awning material 

I would be taking it back to whoever sold it you and demand a refund or replacement.

Yes this happened to me.

I also put it down to uv. It was nothing to do with over inflation. The inner sleeve failed which allows  the bladder to the push out the gap and either explode or mis shape. I was lucky mine didn't explode or rip anything else, I just had to replace the inner tarp like material that the bladder goes into.

Needless to say I'm back to poled and won't go back to air.

Tbf when they started making air tents of less than Karsten quality & price points I knew it would end in tears. If you pay a third of Karsten price it will probably be about a third of the quality. I think the makers will say 4yrs is reasonable lifespan.  Plenty on forums about the current crop of air tents & awnings going bang.  I would stick with poles for your next awning. 

2 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Tbf when they started making air tents of less than Karsten quality & price points I knew it would end in tears. If you pay a third of Karsten price it will probably be about a third of the quality. I think the makers will say 4yrs is reasonable lifespan.  Plenty on forums about the current crop of air tents & awnings going bang.  I would stick with poles for your next awning. 

You could be right it was very expensive £1000 with all the extras.    Our Isabella awning of 12 years has never faded or let us down and we use this a lot in the year still as good as the day we bought it .   We only keep the air awning for weekends or a few days away.

Posted (edited)

I think we'll hear a lot more of this during the summer. Most of the early air awnings are now 'of an age' where the UV degradation is going to be a major player. Fortunately we got shot of ours just as the first reports of air beams exploding started to circulate. 

Our 11 year old Isabella Capri is in near new condition. 

Edited by Tuningdrew

These problems has been covered extensively before (with this make especially). Not the reply you would undoubtedly prefer but the answer was, & still is, : don't buy air awnings that are not fitted with a blow-off safety valve!
Better still buy one with a better reputation than this make has. It is likely to cost more but at least it will do the job reliably. So money well spent?

I have an air awning (Sunncamp)

I never inflate it near the max recommended pressure because to me basic physics say if it’s inflated to that when cool, and then subjected to intense sunlight the solar gain will result in a fairly substantial increase in pressure in the bladders.

In addition I always leave the interlinking valves open. My theory being that should the sun heat things up a lot then the increase in volume (and therefore pressure) will be distributed around all of the bladders rather than one in particular, that should make the likelihood of an individual bladder failure much less likely. Well it’s worked for me so far! 

I have found that the awning remains up and rigid with the pressure a lot lower than the max advised.  Sadly Sunncamp don’t fit pressure relief valves, which seems a serious omission to me, but what do I know?

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

11 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have an air awning (Sunncamp)

I never inflate it near the max recommended pressure because to me basic physics say if it’s inflated to that when cool, and then subjected to intense sunlight the solar gain will result in a fairly substantial increase in pressure in the bladders.

In addition I always leave the interlinking valves open. My theory being that should the sun heat things up a lot then the increase in volume (and therefore pressure) will be distributed around all of the bladders rather than one in particular, that should make the likelihood of an individual bladder failure much less likely. Well it’s worked for me so far! 

I have found that the awning remains up and rigid with the pressure a lot lower than the max advised.  Sadly Sunncamp don’t fit pressure relief valves, which seems a serious omission to me, but what do I know?

Just now, kaz46 said:

Hi yes we always leave the valves open 👍