Bad behaviour by caravanners this weekend

Mandarin

for the last 20 years I have been towing 5-6k miles a year almost entirely abroad and I dont seem to be encountering all this agro from HGVs  or I hope causing any to them. Most places in Europe have a 80km an hour limit towing and I find that by keeping to it  that is rare for me to need to overtake anyone or anything. I might take a little longer getting there but it suits us and life is so much easier.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BobWRFC said:

Germany has many stretches of motorway where this maneuver is not permitted and it applies equally to vehicles towing any kind of trailer.  It has been tried on sections of the A14 in Northamptonshire but many lorries simply ignore the instruction - probably c aravanners too!

That section prohibits overtaking by vehicles over 7.5T, no mention of caravans or trailers.

However HGV do ignore it on a regular basis.

Edited by Idleness

A42/M42 between Tamworth and Measham has a similar stretch but is ignored by many.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Recently on the A66 near Appleby there has been a 30mph lane on the duel carriageway.  A friend on mine with a small child in the back of the car was totally harassed by a lorry diver almost touching the car wanting her to speed up. The A66 at this present time has a mobile speed camera on every day, so beware. the location is often on the Dalton side road, where recently a new speed limit has be introduced. 

A few years ago whilst travelling in Italy (not towing) I was surprised at how drivers would pull right over to allow others to pass, the on coming cars would also do this. So roads that were barely 3 cars wide still allowed overtaking even if something was coming.  No blaring of horn and flashing of lights to chastise someone who wanted to go faster than them.

Which reminds me of a guy I used to travel with who liked to travel at 40mph nothing wrong with that except he felt that everyone else should do the same.  So whenever he came to a straight bit of road he would speed up whilst being overtaken basically trying to kill the over taker and potentially the oncoming car passengers. Never sped up if nothing behind him. I often  wondered if he knew he was doing it.

We have satnav in the car but  I also have a 2020 AA atlas that my wife describes as my hard copy although it is only used for confirmation as I have driven the length and breadth of the country many times.

When we had the MH it had plenty of power (2.8) but it used to roll quite a lot so I used to keep it down a bit and when it was safe I used to wave traffic by (sometimes with the aid of an indicator as well)

On a very bendy bit of the east coast I had a build up of 6 cars behind me but I knew that a hill with a crawler lane was coming up so all was well.

Not one of the cars made any attempt to pass me on that hill when they all had ample opportunity.

Isn't life strange sometimes?

We were on motorway this weekend and wasn't pulling our caravan

but we saw at least 3 caravans being pulled speeding 

One driver over took a wagon and then over took us and we were going 70 

My husband said he was a accident waiting to happen and was disgusted 

It was on our video and he reported to police for dangerous driving hes also given video evidence 

Dont know what happened but Talk about dangerous driving pulling a caravan

Coming back from Stover on Sunday, we saw a caravan going the opposite way going for it in the fast lane, plus the old guy opposite on site was telling us he was a retired HGV driver and tow at 65 mph.

Recent comments would support my earlier post.  Drivers of all vehicles are capable of poor driving and we simply need to be aware of idiots who consider that rules, notices, etc. only apply to other drivers.

I repeat, a little awareness and consideration would eliminate most of the problems encountered here.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

.... we saw a caravan going the opposite way going for it in the fast lane,

:rolleyes:

Edited by beejay

Driving standards are getting worse in this country. 

I drive on blue lights for work and the trouble we have getting passed is worse year on year. People seem to either have no clue or don’t care. It’s not as if we’re invisible with a 7ton yellow box with flashing lights and a lot of noise 

16 minutes ago, James749 said:

Driving standards are getting worse in this country. 

I drive on blue lights for work and the trouble we have getting passed is worse year on year. People seem to either have no clue or don’t care. It’s not as if we’re invisible with a 7ton yellow box with flashing lights and a lot of noise 

A lot of people seem to panic when they see blue lights and attempt to get out of the way causing more problems or just brake. My neighbour’s son drives an ambulance, apparently what drivers should do is drive normally but be aware of the emergency vehicle and allow them to drive around the traffic safely?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I always say to people (as someone who blue lighted for many years) stopping isn’t always the best course of action, If you see blue lights think  of the best way to assist them to pass. Sometimes it is better to speed up so you can get to a spot where you can pull in, to let them pass, quicker. Use a dropped kerb to run your nearside wheels onto the footway in order to “widen” the road is another good tactic.

If you decide to stop please keep your foot on the brake pedal. That way the blue light driver knows you are not going to move because if your foot is on the brake it cannot be on the accelerator to move off! 

It’s a very simple action that can make a huge difference. 

Over the years I have seen some very stupid moves by drivers in response to blues and two’s. One of the most common is to panic and come to a standstill dead alongside a traffic island, amazing how often that happens.

The other is for the lead car in a line see you coming from behind and pull over, so you go for the overtake only for the second (or third) in the line to pull out, without carrying out a mirror check,  to pass the lead car. Then they spot the blues behind them so what do they do??

They brake  right alongside the lead vehicle :rolleyes: thus blocking the road and forcing the blue lighter to really brake hard.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Worst thing folk can do when having an emergency vehicle behind them with blue lights is to suddenly stop, but for some reason that's what everyone seems to always do. If I predict they won't be able to simply overtake me I tend to speed up until Im in a position where they can get past me. Simply pulling to an immediate stop creates havoc for them.

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I always say to people (as someone who blue lighted for many years) stopping isn’t always the best course of action

Unless of course it’s the police chasing you…

The oncoming driver also has a potential role to play, making an overtake viable if they can.

Blue Light Driving. My son's car caught fire a few years ago and by coincidence I was nearby when he called me. I caught the end of the queue a few minutes later on a dual carriageway out of Derby. A Police car came up behind me with full lights and sirens and so the traffic went to each side to give a clear run down the middle. I then pulled out and followed him with my lights on and occasional use of the horn as some cars started to move back without checking their mirrors. When we reached the wreck at the side of the road, the Fire Brigade were just packing away and the Police Officer was starting to get the traffic moving again.

I apologised for following him at speed through the traffic and explained that my son was the driver of the burnt out car. 'Never even saw you Sir' was his response with a smile ! !

On the subject of caravans parking in the trucking areas at motorway services it seems far more common to me to see trucks in the designated caravan slots (when they are nearer the services than the trucking area.).

Donnington services on the M1 actually has four trucks (tractor units) from europe parked in the caravan slots, they look as though they have been there for ages. 

10 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

Donnington services on the M1 actually has four trucks (tractor units) from Europe parked in the caravan slots, they look as though they have been there for ages. 

Sometimes I wonder if drivers understand what class of vehicle they are driving. This is the coach park according to Google Maps, also at Donnington Services on the M1.

image.png

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DerbyClubman said:

I apologised for following him at speed through the traffic and explained that my son was the driver of the burnt out car. 'Never even saw you Sir' was his response with a smile ! !

Totally understand that. Far too busy concentrating on what’s ahead!  It’s highly unlikely anything is going to be looking for an overtake isn’t it? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

3 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Totally understand that. Far too busy concentrating on what’s ahead!  It’s highly unlikely anything is going to be looking for an overtake isn’t it? 

I reckon the cop was being sarcastic, knowing he was there all along but not being too concerned about it.

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

Sometimes I wonder if drivers understand what class of vehicle they are driving. This is the coach park according to Google Maps, also at Donnington Services on the M1.

image.png

All seems to be in order then?

6 hours ago, Gordon said:

image.png

Somewhere in my photo archive I have the picture of 3 police cars parked in the area allocated for caravans in the M11 service station. I was able to pull into a remaining vacant bay.

They returned, some with coffee cups in hand, 15mins later ( 4 officers to each car).

Everyone’s at it.

On 01/06/2021 at 13:45, Mcsimmo said:

And... don't get me started on some of the behaviour I've seen on sites this year.....

:angry:

Would suggest joining either of the clubs and using their CL/CS sites?

1 hour ago, Supatramp said:

Would suggest joining either of the clubs and using their CL/CS sites?

Hi,

I nearly always use CL’s. However, we stayed at a well known Caravan and Motorhome Club site recently as we had been trying to stay there for years. 
We were surrounded by a family who had arrived in 3 vans. 
Their kids were running around all the surrounding  vans with their mothers following them screaming their names for all to hear while carrying bottles of beer or wine glasses all before lunchtime. 
One family had a ‘beefed up’ pick up that could only be driven with the windows wide open and the extra bass box kicking out the guys choice of music.

The wardens had to step in at night when they decided to have an outdoor disco with huge speakers. 
Rant over, back to CL’s again.