Bad behaviour by caravanners this weekend

Mandarin

Our Son in Law just finished a five day shift driving an hgv1.  He's had a nightmare weekend with caravanners appalling driving (cutting in too close and then braking, speeding etc) bad behaviour in services including abusing him for trying to park in the truck park.  Shouting that the Services were  only open for caravanners, not for him, and even trying to stop him walking to the toilets.

He's one of those helping to keep the shops and factories stocked when everyone else is on holiday and gets treatment like that.

I'm sure no-one on here would behave like this, but maybe now I understand why professional drivers don't respect us caravanners.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and you wonder why we get a bad name when he is only trying to do his job not the best impression to give out not good at all

Some disgustingly thoughtless people be it in caravans cars or sometimes other vehicles. Sad but a reflection on todays selfish society.

Sadly the sudden boom in staycations has seen a lot of people buying caravans with no idea how to be a caravanner. 

This year I've seen caravanners using the outside lane of motorways, also many with no extra mirrors and causing havoc as they cant see behind them.

And... don't get me started on some of the behaviour I've seen on sites this year.....

:angry:

Strange that you should say that about extra mirrors,  I too have noticed a decided lack of them. 

Surely they have not all got reversing cameras.

The way things are on the roads nowadays with all the high powered cars and bad attitudes I no longer have any pleasure driving,  with or without van on.

And you would think that all the boy racers would have finally realised what plonkers they are!

not a bit of it

Come on lads  any idiot can drive a fast car fast

a bit of subject here but seeing as you mention hgv drivers ,,,,i stopped at services on the motorway we were having a nice cup of tea and a butty ,,next thing an hgv driver comes about 20 feet in front of me and starts having a pee,,now i was an hgv driver and i never done that,, some of the services stink of it why do they do it? why dont the staff stop them its a horrible thing to see and smell 

Son in law needs to shape up & stop whinging if he wants to make hgv driving his life’s work as I did. Being hated goes with the territory. We just used to laugh at the wobble boxes & their useless drivers. Suggest you point out to him that the general public does not make the connection between trucks & everything they consume & presumably assume their food grows in a field behind Tesco. 

My response to any abusive caravanners would have been a 4 letter one. ;)

As for cutting in to go off at junctions etc this is satnav codependency. Younger drivers appear to be unable to read maps & rely completely on satnavs. They appear not even to know when approaching their exit & just veer across lanes of traffic when their satnav tells them. For the likes of us olds who have a UK map implanted in their brain we find this hard to comprehend. 

The problem is that driving appears to have been classified as a human right, rather than something that requires a wide combination of skills to do safely. Running around in a ton or more of metal at tens of miles per hour should be more strictly controlled but there'd be an outcry.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

There will always be useless drivers. Some people no matter how many years they have been driving have failed to develop the necessary skills. If these people then hitch up to a caravan they will still be useless & even more dangerous. 

Many people cannot navigate & these can be people who have been driving for decades. For them satnavs have been a boon but the satnav itself causes a distraction when they prioritise satnav instructions over roadcraft. 

Younger drivers I have talked to appear to be uninterested in maps. They don’t appear to see any relevance in the relationship between where they are now & their destination. All they do is set their satnav & follow the instructions. This causes them to cut across lanes of traffic when satnav tell them to take next exit when they are right on top of it. 

My satnav gives me plenty of warning before a manouver is required. Anyone who veers across lanes in a last minute bid to take an exit clearly isn't using a satnav.

14 hours ago, robertB said:

Strange that you should say that about extra mirrors,  I too have noticed a decided lack of them. 

Surely they have not all got reversing cameras.

The way things are on the roads nowadays with all the high powered cars and bad attitudes I no longer have any pleasure driving,  with or without van on.

And you would think that all the boy racers would have finally realised what plonkers they are!

not a bit of it

Come on lads  any idiot can drive a fast car fast

:goodpost:

A couple of points; the addition of a reversing camera does nothing to aid the view along the side of a caravan.

Similarly, I take a loss less pleasure in driving these days for the same reason.

There is no excuse for not behaving responsibly, at any age.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

10 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

The problem is that driving appears to have been classified as a human right, rather than something that requires a wide combination of skills to do safely. Running around in a ton or more of metal at tens of miles per hour should be more strictly controlled but there'd be an outcry.

:goodpost:

Well said sir!! 

I concur with every single word! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Posted (edited)

Hitching up a caravan does not make for a poor or abusive driver, they were that before hitching up and will be when its off the hook.

Many is the time solo cars have screwed up the use of service station dedicated caravan parking. They did not need a caravan to do that.

As always, it is the safer assumption to assume the roads are filled with idiots and drive as best you can with that in mind, most trips will yield confirmation of the assumption.

Edited by JTQ

31 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

, There will always be useless drivers.

Yesterday I was out doing a driver assessment (Builders merchants vehicle) One full load delivery of roofing slates involved descending a very narrow, single track, one in four, bottom gear from the outset, steep hill :o. 

The inevitable happened and we met a car coming up :rolleyes:

The driver of which insisted that we, in a fully loaded HGV, back up the hill to allow him to pass. Well that was never going to happen, and that was explained to him in no uncertain terms.

Eventually the (elderly) car driver saw sense(?) and decide he was the one to back up.

Well, in the 45 years I have been driving I have never ever seen such utter incompetence!!

It was painful, no pitiful, to watch (I wish the truck had had a  dashcam fitted) This guy needed to reverse just about 30-35 metres (the road was dead straight so nothing difficult at all) 

It took him seven, yes seven, zig-zags. Every time he started to reverse he applied about half a turn of steering lock, so continually ended up with the back corner embedded in the bank! So he would drive forward a few feet and then have another go, this time reversing into the opposite bank, and so it went on. After I few attempts I jumped out and offered to reverse his car for him. Well! You would think I had suggested I was planning to boil his newborn grandchild!!

Talk about aggressive abuse to try and cover up his incompetence!

So we left him to it.  I dread to think what would have been the case if we had been a Fire  Appliance or Ambulance on a shout!! (Unlikely on that road, but not an impossibility) 

Just remember folks “They are out there” and they are useless. 

41 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

My satnav gives me plenty of warning before a manouver is required. Anyone who veers across lanes in a last minute bid to take an exit clearly isn't using a satnav.

:Plus1:

Is it actually a legal requirement to have mirrors?  I ask because I have recently seen a few HGVs which do not have mirrors but do have what I assume is a rear view camera on a stalk at the top of the driver's door. This must then be linked to a viewing screen somewhere in the cab. Are they available for use in a car?

The requirement is for the driver to “Have a view” of a specific area. There is no regulation as to how that view is obtained. 

Do you really think vehicles would be sold that don’t comply with current legislation??

I don’t think that cameras such as you have described  are yet available as an aftermarket add-on for cars, although some new car models (Tesla?) have them fitted from new.

The ones on some new artics are awesome, they turn when reversing so the driver retains a view of the back corner of his trailer! 

Agree 100% with the above comments. 

As a HGV driver myself,  I've noticed over the years the standard of driving has diminished massively.

Sat navs (I've heard, as never used one) are allegedly good, but I'm yet to be convinced. 

As far as reversing goes, is it still a requirement in the driving test to reverse around a corner or parallel park? Because once again this seems to be a massive issue. 

Also middle lane hoggers, other than it being illegal to sit in a middle or outer lane when the near side lane is empty (keep left unless ovetaking).

I'm now in a mood before I go to work and on the road.

Courtesy, manners and competencey. 

Bad driving is not limited to any one section of road users (including cyclists - sorry).  The one ingredient required to avoid confrontation is "common" courtesy.  We all make mistakes and we have to accept errors made by other drivers who, hopefully, acknowledge the fact.

With regard to motorway services, the main problem I have encountered is the motorist (solo) who blocks the only remaining long space available for our caravan.  I have not encountered the "peeing HGV driver"  but it would probably help if the long parking spaces weren't so far away from the facilities.

One question for the HGV drivers.  While I accept the issue of incompetent caravaners - is it part of your training to wait until vehicles (including caravans who cannot move to the outside lane of a motorway) are approaching your rear end before pulling out and forcing the approaching driver to brake.  I have a dashcam fitted to my car and have frequently replayed incidents of this nature.  I accept that it can take some time to build up speed, especially uphill, but that same issue applies to caravans, etc.  Additionally, we have all been stuck behind two lorries occupying the two insides lanes while one attempts, often unsuccessfully, to overtake the other while travelling at about the same speed.  Germany has many stretches of motorway where this maneuver is not permitted and it applies equally to vehicles towing any kind of trailer.  It has been tried on sections of the A14 in Northamptonshire but many lorries simply ignore the instruction - probably c aravanners too!

As stated before, we simply have to be mindful of other road users and accept the difficulties encountered - none of us are infallible.   I could also offer a solution to the peeing driver but it would not be politically correct to offer it here.

1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

How much warning does it give you before a motorway exit ?

13 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

Mine is visual at 1 mile plus audio at 1/2 mile then count down.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Camperdom said:

It tells me as soon as I join the motorway where I will be coming off.

It struggles with interlaced multi junctions like on the Caen and Paris loops, but these are so complex it really is only the locals that know, not even the team they send out to paint the lanes and markings, though even these hints are useless unless the surface is visible.

Edited by JTQ

Having spent my working life as an hgv 1 driver it does make me a more considerate caravanner. Usually I drive with the trucks at around 55mph which with optimistic car speedos usually an indicated just under 60.  If I am passing trucks on a motorway I can usually tell when they need to overtake ie on an incline when they are approaching a slower truck so I slow down & flash them out. 

If you don’t do that then expect trucks to pull out across your bow.  Beware of left hooker foreign trucks with drivers that might not have slept for days. They may not even see you which why you often see foreign truck/bent car scenario on hard shoulder. 

Restricting trucks to inside lane is not viable on many UK motorway stretches do to volume on traffic. The inside lane would simply grind to a halt & before you say “so what” remember you need to go shopping. 

As for peeing over near side wheel some will say there is a law still current after 100s of years that allows horse drawn waggon drivers to do just that.  The modern interpretation might be though that if you treat people like animals they will act like animals. The lack of overnight parking facilities for long distance trucks is something that is never addressed by government because we all hate trucks. Yes ?

5 minutes ago, SamD said:

Mine is visual at 1 mile plus audio at 1/2 mile then count down.

Which is why asleep at the wheel drivers doing 80 in the outside lane  with no idea where they are going cut in front of you to turn off when their satnav wakes them up with half a mile to go. 

Posted (edited)

The motorway exit signs give plenty of warning and are very large and blue!

Our satnav gives junction view when navigating showing lanes to take! 

I was brought up on maps and reading the road.  A town satnav was the A to Z book!

Edited by 664DaveS