Has anyone used Armaflex pipe insulation under their caravan?

I have three air ducts which are underneath the caravan floor. All three are unprotected and insulated. As i use my caravan all year long I was looking at repairs and improvements. One of which would be 75mm/15mm Armaflex pipe insulation. We have loads of it at work. Has anyone else gone down this route of insulating air ducts?

Used it on our Ranger years ago! Vast improvement to the heating!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

52 minutes ago, PR1 said:

Used it on our Ranger years ago! Vast improvement to the heating!

+1

I used something like it that was round when expanded but arrived flattened, can't remember what it was called. Anyway I used it to cover the external section of warm air heating pipe between the heater and the bathroom on our Pegasus 462. Also agreed it made a significant difference even though the original pipe is insulated! 

Posted (edited)

I did this to our Ranger before taking it out at Christmas last year.  Got the insulation from Mr Plodd of this parish so not sure exactly what it was - it looked similar to what you're talking about though.

I don't really have a before to compare to as it was our first winter with the 'van but the air coming from the bathroom vent was certainly warm enough and I had no complaints from my wife about a cold toilet!

Edited by Xyleth

• 2 weeks later...

I happened to look underneath our van this week and was appalled by the amount of uninsulated flexible heater duct. Lockdown stopped us doing any serious winter caravanning this year, but I shall definitely look at insulating the exposed parts!

Did ours a couple of years ago and it really has been worth it.  Used 2 x 2m lengths of 80mm dia, 13mm thick (from pipelagging.com) . Using 80mm allows you to thread the insulation over the heating pipe easily without splitting it, Where it exits and re-enters the van through the floor, you only need to unscrew a couple of screws and pull the pipe down a bit to free it and thread it on,  I worked from both ends with the only join being as it squeezes between the axle and the floor.  The pipe was secured at each end by long cable ties and the original hangers were used with cable ties used as extensions.  Only took a couple of hours.

I used bubble wrap with the foil backing, held in place with cable ties and insulation tape, used his on current and previous caravans.

Armaflex, though not cheap, does the job of insulating underfloor heating ducting a treat. The difference it can make is astounding. Go for it! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

We did ours, I think it makes a difference, hard to be sure.

Bought too much and sold the rest on!