What do you do with all your “stuff” when your van is in for servicing or repairs ?

-Jim-

I have a dilemma. 

My caravan needs to go into the dealer for some warranty work, and may be there some time. They tell me that, due to covid, the van will need to be fumigated - and that I must therefore remove EVERY possession and item of equipment before arrival at the service centre. (I’m currently trying to confirm whether or not this includes upholstery and the mattress, and I feel it may well do).

The problem is that my van is kept in storage, and all my caravanning “stuff” is stored in it. I can’t physically get it anywhere near my home. And if I could, I have absolutely nowhere to store all the items.

I know that many dealers have this “empty van”policy, even pre-covid.  But over 30-odd years this situation has never arisen, mainly because I did the work myself in the early days, and latterly I’ve used a mobile engineer for servicing and minor jobs.

So what do you all do when faced with this predicament?

Had a similar predicament recently, when looking to change vans. 
luckily with careful packing into plastic boxes (with lids) we were able to get majority of stuff into the car, but even then there were several larger  items still in the van at swap time. 
I really would be surprised if they want the mattress and seat cushions removed, but your seeking the answer to this from dealer   

Our dining room & garage end up looking like a caravan accessory shop. I stack/pack everything tightly together to minimise the amount of room it takes. Can you make several car journeys to bring everything home?

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

39 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Our dining room & garage end up looking like a caravan accessory shop. I stack/pack everything tightly together to minimise the amount of room it takes. Can you make several car journeys to bring everything home?

We do similar. However, we dont store stuff in the caravan anyway.  It is in the loft of the garage

macafee2

We had exactly the same, back to factory everything out even mattress and all seat pads. Stuff that wouldn't matter went in the garage - chairs etc. Kitchen stuff etc. was packed in the house, much like GaryB and a kindly neighbour stored the upholstery in a spare room. They were happy and got flowers, wine and chocolates for our appreciation.

Could you ask a neighbour/friend?

I argued successfully why a shower repair had any bearing on what was in a cupboard in the lounge or cutlery drawer. I was happy to empty the bathroom but not parts of the caravan unaffected by the repairs. And i would expect by now most staff to be vaccinated. 

Only ever had to empty it once in over 40 years, it was going to the factory for a new floor, dining room and garage.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

13 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

Only ever had to empty it once in over 40 years, it was going to the factory for a new floor, dining room and garage.

Ian

Blimey, that's a posh van.

I hate our van going into any dealership as I just don’t trust any . If and when it goes in, it is always completely emptied and since COVID also the loose upholstery is removed. Cardboard is placed as floor protection. All the stuff goes into our study and completely fills it . A chore but it has to be done . After van is back it is cleaned inside and again  as in since COVID it is sanitised 

Crikey, what do you do when you go to the supermarket for shopping?! 

32 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Maybe a full stop would have made it clearer.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

We just take expensive stuff out-tv kettle coffee maker-knives and forks etc stay even though it says take everything. I just drop off and ignore that! Seems crazy to me!

1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Brilliant:D

46 minutes ago, Flatcoat888 said:

Crikey, what do you do when you go to the supermarket for shopping?! 

Don’t go, get home deliveries 

Ah, mmmmmm better not respond. Moving on, i am taking my van to the dealers in 2 weeks for a couple of warranty jobs. One relates to upholstery. The receptionist kept telling me i had to remove all soft furnishings. I repeated the booking is in part to make a warranty claim for the upholstery, the receptionist sent an email with the reference to removing all cushions, upholstery etc in bold and underlined. I replied in bold and underlined asking what part of ‘there is a fault with the upholstery’ did they not understand. The manager phoned to complain i was being offensive and upsetting the staff. I repeated i have a problem with the upholstery, i said i am more than happy to co-operate but please tell me how they plan to inspect upholstery that isn’t in the van? They said it was ok to bring it in the car in plastic bags....... this with the caravan in tow for them to repair the shower. Now i don’t know about anyone else but this smacks of people totally losing the plot. I will turn up with the caravan, empty bathroom and all upholstery in place. 

Our dealer just asked for all the lower  storage to be empty  for damp checking and access to the pipes and fittings. We usually put stuff into the garage and clean all the cupboards anyway so it was virtually  empty.

Flatcoat888,   Obviously not going to look at your upholstery.

Hi Jim, We have not had this problem, and if we did we would go elsewhere.

We use an approved workshop not a dealer and feel this is the best option as the workshop has your interest at heart but the dealer may lean more in the manufacturers favour.

The main reason we would go elsewhere is that our van is in storage and we simply don’t have the option to put “stuff” anywhere else.

Never had the problem. The caravan was serviced last year and everything stayed in it.

Next time I am asked to empty my van for service. I will just turn up with two caravan wheels in my boot!

I always empty all the “ stuff “ out when the van goes for service - I think it is only fair to the people who work on it and avoids any chance of disagreement as you can’t then think anything has gone missing. This time they insisted on the removal of all the furnishings, which was a bit of a bother but not a major issue. Fetched the van back yesterday and have spent a while this morning putting the “ stuff “ back in with the furnishings to follow shortly.

If your caravan is quarantined for 72hrs before taking it in, and then again when bringing it back, there is no risk to anyone. (for quarantined I mean simply stay out of it). This is the agreement we had with our mobile workshop in April this year. When we took our car in for service it was sanitised before and after  by the VW dealer. Taking the seats out would be tricky. 

Our car was dropped at the dealer,  keys put in a plastic bag. Once finished we paid at reception and were given the keys  back.

The car was locked outside with a sticker to say it had been sanitised as well as normal wash and hoover out.

Certainly was clean and smelled nice.

We take most stuff out (apart from mattress) for 2 main reasons - 

To allow access for them to do as many damp readings as possible/necessary

and to avoid any damage/marks to the upholstery 

Its a pain, as its in storage, but surprising how much fits in wife's Mini.

I know this is serious.  But my imagination starting running wild, thinking what would happen if you had bought a new build house, had moved there from a previous house, but then found something serious that needed the builders back, and you had to pack everything back up so they could fix it.  Apologies for my "imagination".  Going back to the caravan, why would you have to take out the mattress and lounge cushions, they should be dealt with as with all other stuff left inside the caravan:mellow: