DVSA road safety checks this week end.

Just seen on another forum that the DVSA will be out in force this week end checking vans and trailers.  Do your checks people and stay safe especially the newbies.  Better to be late in this world then early in the next.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Wonkydonkey said:

Just seen on another forum that the DVSA will be out in force this week end checking vans and trailers.  Do your checks people and stay safe especially the newbies.  Better to be late in this world then early in the next.

Do you know where , not concerned about outfit but the delay in time as have just under 300 miles to cover on Saturday, leaving at 03.30 so hopefully they will be tucked up in bed, Ancona

Its been mentioned south of Bristol and J27 Tiverton but dont know if thats just rumour. 

Glad to hear it! 

Far too many overloaded/poorly maintained caravans on the road. I reckon they will be kept pretty busy writing!!

I do hope they publish the figures later. I wonder what the highest percentage overload will be?  

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Presumably they'll need a weighbridge, what's the legal position if someone refuses to be diverted?

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Glad to hear it! 

Far too many overloaded/poorly maintained caravans on the road. I reckon they will be kept pretty busy writing!!

I do hope they publish the figures later. I wonder what the highest percentage overload will be?  

There was a “news”  article earlier in the week (can’t find it now). I don’t remember the exact figures, but something like 60% of caravans and trailers stopped were defective in some way. The scary part was these defects were tyres, brakes, breakaway cables as the top items. 

11 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Presumably they'll need a weighbridge, what's the legal position if someone refuses to be diverted?

You would get a big fine and probably prohibited from moving the vehicle 

Bring it on for me. 

Travelling back from Cornwall Saturday lightest I ever am so a datum weight check will suit me just fine, was hoping to get stopped on the way down, keep meaning to get it weighed.

Won't be any defects.

Only down side would be that I will be tight on for getting back into storage.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

It's not just DVSA. Police forces across the country have been regularly running operations targeting trailers since 12th April. They can spring up anywhere. Yesterday Staffordshire and Derbyshire ran a joint operation targeting caravans and other trailers using the A38 and A50. Apparently half of those stopped were committing offences. They haven't disclosed details of the offences detected.

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Glad to hear it! 

:goodpost:

Totally agree, if they pick up any faulty or dangerous vans good!

We came back from Cirencester  yesterday, as we avoid school holidays.

The M5 was fine, quite a few outfits heading to West  Country. I expect it will,be busy today.

We had our van serviced in April, car tested and serviced October. I check wheel bolts torque, tyre pressure etc before each trip,  not difficult and gives peace of mind.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Risk of arrest for obstructing an officer. Your vehicle will seized and possibly weighed in your absence.

Edited by Legal Eagle

They probably use load cells which can be placed under individual wheels.

I saw them used in the RAF to weigh aircraft after major overhauls as updates and modifications are done.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Police will be the ones manning the initial stop check as they are the only ones that have the power to Stop Check moving vehicles. Failure to Stop for a constable  in uniform is an offence and falls under general failure to stop offence.

Just to be clear that in most cases of slight infractions involving  either loading or weight then it will only be “words of advice” that are issued and not FPN’s. However if one were to come across a badly loaded trailer in poor road worthy condition on multiple fronts then discretion of the officer will only go so far and enforcement action will have to be taken. This could be in the form of FPN and notice of correction or could involve the trailer and or towing vehicle being seized and points/summons being issued depending on the severity of the offence.

Current guidance regarding policing these things is Engage, Explain, Encourage and Enforce.

Edited by Pembssurfer

29 minutes ago, Pembssurfer said:

Police will be the ones manning the initial stop check as they are the only ones that have the power to Stop Check moving vehicles.

This is not entirely true. DVSA officers have powers to stop commercial vehicles.

https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers

47 minutes ago, Pembssurfer said:

Current guidance regarding policing these things is Engage, Explain, Encourage and Enforce.

That's the guidance for Covid regulations, not road traffic offences!

DVSA officers also have powers to stop and direct vehicles.

The Police do have a knack of spotting the offenders. They will be looking for caravans that look badly maintained, those that look too big for the car or look overloaded and any that just looks a possible problem and may target younger drivers where the combination looks over 3,500 kg to make sure they have the B+E licence. 

The headlines you get in the papers that make it look as though most of us get it wrong are not true. What you get is a figure based on caravans targeted because they look a potential problem.

They may find some stolen ones which could have been sold on . 

11 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The Police do have a knack of spotting the offenders. They will be looking for caravans that look badly maintained, those that look too big for the car or look overloaded and any that just looks a possible problem and may target younger drivers where the combination looks over 3,500 kg to make sure they have the B+E licence. 

The headlines you get in the papers that make it look as though most of us get it wrong are not true. What you get is a figure based on caravans targeted because they look a potential problem.

My local Roads Policing Unit has been active recently with trailers and has stopped a few where either a BE category, overloading or a tacho requirement was involved.

An example HERE

The usual practice for weight checks is to do them at specific sites such as MSAs where the vehicle has been given a "follow me" instruction or had entered the site voluntarily so a  'refusing to go' situation doesn't apply.

3 hours ago, gckc said:

You would get a big fine and probably prohibited from moving the vehicle 

I wouldn't!

Latest info ...it's all happening at Taunton Deane..my favourite service area.

2 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I wouldn't!

??

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Griffy said:

This is not entirely true. DVSA officers have powers to stop commercial vehicles.

https://www.gov.uk/roadside-vehicle-checks-for-commercial-drivers

Apologies what I should say is they do not have the capacity to stop non commercial “moving” vehicles In the same way the police do. This is why you will always see traffic officers involved in the “Stopping” of the moving vehicles as there has to be “belief” not “suspicion” that an offence may be being committed . Dealing with parked up commercial vehicles is easy as you would just camp in services/truck stop area and do the checks once already stopped which then comes under a different reason code than a moving vehicle comes under. This is why DVSA and EA /NRW will often only be seen in static situations.

Hopefully this memorandum of legislation explains why it’s always the police that do the initial Stop Check as most chief constables do not exact that power given to them under PRA 2002 to  civilians for Stop Check purposes. 

THE ROAD VEHICLES (POWERS TO STOP) REGULATIONS 2011

“4.2 Since the Police Reform Act 2002 (the PRA) came into force, there has been a mechanism whereby vehicle examiners appointed under section 66A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 can be accredited by chief officers of police to stop vehicles on the road. These provisions – contained in section 41 of, and schedule 5 paragraph 8 to, the PRA – deal with the exercise of police powers

by civilians under ‘community safety accreditation schemes’. These powers only apply in England and Wales and only relate to roadside ‘roadworthiness’ inspections of vehicles under section 67 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. In order to be accredited with the power to stop under the PRA, individual vehicle examiners must apply to the chief officer of police for every area in which they wish to exercise the power.
4.3 The assistance of the police is required to stop moving vehicles on roads in all other cases (the police have a general power to stop vehicles in section 163 of the Road Traffic Act 1988). In Scotland, it is only possible to stop moving vehicles for compliance inspections with the assistance of the police as the relevant provisions of the PRA do not extend to Scotland.

5 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

That's the guidance for Covid regulations, not road traffic offences!

DVSA officers also have powers to stop and direct vehicles.

Sorry legal,  but in reality the 4 E’s are regularly used with most minor infractions  of the law, it’s not just a COVID thing. Previously known as WOA, (Words of Advice) it is commonly used in Vehicle/trailer stop checks too for road worthiness But hey, what do I know.

3 hours ago, Wildwood said:

This is the correct approach, and to be honest judging by the other day it’s much harder to spot overloaded caravans by eye than it is Gross train combos where the van is “obviously” heavier than the car should be towing. Most of the issues encountered are actually running gear related and especially condition of tyres.

Edited by Pembssurfer
Multiple typos. Apologies.

50 minutes ago, barrychas said:

Latest info ...it's all happening at Taunton Deane..my favourite service area.

Just been on the radio.

DONT plan on stopping off at Taunton Deane services southbound, there’s no room due to the number of caravans that are being pulled in fir safety checks !!

There will be an article on the BBC news program this morning around the Freddie Hussey incident. They were filming with the DVSA Thursday and Friday.

They report 60% of small trailers with defects / infringements and 1 in 6 caravans.

Who thinks a site like this full of responsible users should put their weight behind the Freddie Hussey campaign for formal trailer testing?

Posted (edited)

Formal training is, in a way, already in place due to the requirement for a B+E test but of course that’s only for combinations over 3500kg MGTW 

I would happily support formal training AND driving tests for everyone every ten years B) Fat chance of that happening though.

What is/was the  Freddie Hussey incident? 

Edit

Now found out about young Freddie Anyone unaware see here.

Edited by Mr Plodd