Dometic Fridge Light/doorlock

Help, please!

The LED light in our fridge, which is part of the door lock mechanism, has failed, so I’ve got a new part.  

Here’s a picture of the old part still in situ. 

Looks like I’ll just need to remove the two screws you can see to get the old one off. 

But does anyone know how to remove the perspex cover?  (Before I go at it with my crowbar). 

Thanks. 

A74A7D40-ADD7-4780-B4BF-4E0EF24C14F7.jpeg

Have you tried lifting it off when the screws are undone? 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Sorry, should have explained. 

The screws are underneath the cover, so you have to remove it to get at them. 

Sorry I can't help with how to remove the cover.

However, when my led light failed it was the reed switch which lives inside the control panel above the door. There's a magnet inside the top of the door which activates the reed switch when the door is opened.

I'll follow this topic because I want to replace the receptor lock tab ( Dometic 241327101) and I believe I need to remove the perspex cover to replace it.

Well, that’s two of us waiting for enlightenment!  

I assumed it was the door-lock/light unit that was faulty.  I kind of hope it is, as the replacement cost me £72....

I assume the cover just unclips.  I say this because on delivery of our newly-acquired van this cover was loose in the fridge; I just pressed it into place where it went home with a click and it now feels very secure.

Thanks, figbat.  I’ll give that a go. 

Yes, it just unclips.  One clip top and bottom towards the back of the plastic cover.  Pull the back of the cover out slightly into the fridge, then pull forward a bit to pull away from the 2 pips at the front.

Sorry, I've a marked-up photo showing where the clips and pips are, but can't find how to attach it to the post.

3 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

Yes, it just unclips.  One clip top and bottom towards the back of the plastic cover.  Pull the back of the cover out slightly into the fridge, then pull forward a bit to pull away from the 2 pips at the front.

Sorry, I've a marked-up photo showing where the clips and pips are, but can't find how to attach it to the post.

You can’t unfortunately as you’re not a a Caravan Talk Supporter (blue writing under your name - requires payment of £15 per annum) 

6 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

Many thanks. Good to have confirmation. 

4 hours ago, Cherokee2015 said:

You can’t unfortunately as you’re not a a Caravan Talk Supporter (blue writing under your name - requires payment of £15 per annum) 

I think you can post photo's as a non supporter  using a limited data allowance.

14 hours ago, Cherokee2015 said:

ADMIN COMMENT

None C&MT Supporters have a limited allowance for images, if you cannot attach one you may need to visit “Your Attachments” and delete some to make room for new ones.

18 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

Just checked you are over your limit. You may not have a lot of images but if they are a large file size this eats in to your allowance, compressing them down to 200 - 300kb is ok.

5E559989-BDE5-4D81-B2B2-62CB2ECC1C8E.jpeg

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Posted (edited)

I’ve had to delete all my images as even when compressed I had reached my allowance and was unable to add another image to post on here.  Sadly that means the images in previous posts have now all disappeared making the threads useless to anyone reading them. 

My Dometic door lock/latch has failed today. I kept getting the warning beeps as it didn’t recognise the door being closed properly, meaning we had to close it more firmly than normal. Then the door wouldn’t open at all, with the release button on the top of the door having gone loose and slack. 

Eventually I got it open but now the latch doesn’t work to keep the door closed. Towing home will require the door to have something wedged against it to stop it opening. 

Edited by JCCD

1 hour ago, Steven said:

ADMIN COMMENT

None C&MT Supporters have a limited allowance for images, if you cannot attach one you may need to visit “Your Attachments” and delete some to make room for new ones.

Just checked you are over your limit. You may not have a lot of images but if they are a large file size this eats in to your allowance, compressing them down to 200 - 300kb is ok.

5E559989-BDE5-4D81-B2B2-62CB2ECC1C8E.jpeg

Thanks for the update.   Is this a newer change as like I say I was unable to do this a couple of weeks ago and I couldn’t have been over my quota as I rarely post photos (unless you count old posts).    Not to worry though, I’ll know for next time.  

@ Steven, many thanks for making me aware of the new regs and storage limits.  Accordingly, I've deleted all my previous photos and have now uploaded the photo for Benchillian.

If I need to use photos to help someone with a problem in the future, I'll upload them to Dropbox and just give them a link to them so that they can be downloaded.  Should anyone need one of the photos I've already deleted, then if they contact me, I'll upload those to Dropbox and give them a link.

Mike

Fridge.jpg.67ff58659ace7c7b9814592de6040af9.jpg

Many thanks for doing this, Mike.  That helps a lot. I’m bringing the van home from storage next week, so I’ll have a go at it then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Success!  Just replaced the lock/light component and the light is now working. 

The cover came off exactly as described by Crannoghome, although the bottom clip needed a firmer pull than the top. 

Having screwed in the the new component, the cover clicked back in as Figbat described.

Thank you both, and all others who responded. 

Thank you for returning to tell us the outcome. Too often, advice is given and members don't know what then happened. 

Thanks

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion