Stolen caravan

Had a shocking call from storage yard. My (under three weeks old) caravan was stolen last night, along with others. 
Lucky for me, the police were already alerted to suspicious vehicle activity, with the end result that all the stolen vans were quickly located and now in secure store awaiting processing. 
No idea what / how much damage has been sustained, but expect to be asked to inspect in next few days. 
Had two AL-KO wheel locks and hitch lock fitted . (The factory fitted alarm and tracker obviously didn’t do much. ) I know that at least one other stolen van also had AL-KO locks and hitch locks. So I  can assume that the thieves knew what they were about, and were tooled up
I guess the wheel backplate will need replacement. Wonder how long that will take to get replacements   
After that, it’s just guessing right now, so will wait until I have seen it

I know the feeling. I almost had my then few weeks old van stolen last October. The thieves could not remove the Bulldog clamp albeit they did steal another van. Mine suffered quite a lot of collateral damage for which my insurers will not pay, saying it is the storage compound operators liability for enabling someone to get in..... Unfortunately getting parts to repair is proving challenging, i hope you have better luck! 

18 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Had a shocking call from storage yard. My (under three weeks old) caravan was stolen last night, along with others. 

What a nightmare, so sorry to hear that hopefully all gets resolved OK and not too much damage when you get to see the van. Really  do feel for you.

What was the storage facility like out of interest where it was taken?

What tracker/alarm was it? 

Cheers, Martin

5 minutes ago, Martin said:

What a nightmare, so sorry to hear that hopefully all gets resolved OK and not too much damage when you get to see the van. Really  do feel for you.

What was the storage facility like out of interest where it was taken?

What tracker/alarm was it? 

I don’t want to name the storage unit, but it’s located in East Sussex. 
The tracker & alarm are the standard “Tracker” Bailey fitted units. I was assured that this version would send an alert if van moved, but when I spoke to Tracker they acted as if was the first they knew. 

Mine too was stolen and never found.  It was only about 4 years ago.  To be truthful, after over 35 years of camping/caravanning, that was really the beginning of the end for us.  We did get a new caravan, but it just wasn't the same.  18 months after this all happened, my OH sadly passed away, and even though I did do a trip out, it wasn't the same, so I packed it in.  

43 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

My (under three weeks old) caravan was stolen last night

Nightmare! - So sorry to read that. There is no respect for others property purchased through hard work.

I hope you get sorted ASAP.

Obviously without sharing anything sensitive please do share any tips regarding the security devices once you get chance to inspect.

7 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

The tracker & alarm are the standard “Tracker” Bailey fitted units. I was assured that this version would send an alert if van moved, but when I spoke to Tracker they acted as if was the first they knew. 

That’s funny was looking for caravan storage in East Sussex had a call saying they have a few spaces a Available ? Can you let me know 

Where yours was stored ? If you can’t the first and last letter would be helpful 

thanks

3 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

I certainly didn’t want you to name it just wondered what it was like (security wise), but no worries 😉

So it should be Tracker Monitor then, a Thatcham CAT7 proactive system as you say  (2021 standard kit) so they should have known so I’d be demanding answers in that’s front! 

Cheers, Martin

What a horrible feeling that must have been, I am sure we all sympathise greatly 

Trouble is your average toe-rag knows exactly where tracker devices are located, and how to disable them.

Bit worrying about the various AL-KO locks not having done their job. It would be interesting to know if the locks were defeated in some way, or by-passed (caravan dragged or hi-ab’ed onto a flat bed for example).  I am not suggesting you post details of how the thefts were achieved, just a generalisation (don’t want to give anyone any ideas do we?) 

Technically your caravan was stolen so you will need to inform your insurance company. You can guess what will happen then can’t you ? :( 

When we moved house the one thing I absolutely insisted on was room to store my Motorhome on my property. I realise that’s not possible for everyone, and it’s no guarantee that my caravan won’t get stolen, but being right alongside it, with a car directly in front of it does make me feel its reasonably secure. (Wood already touched, and fingers well crossed in respect of the last sentence though) 

Is the Bailey tracker one that notifies you if the caravan moves (pro-active)  or do you need to notify them if it gets nicked (re-active or passive) Personally I am not a great fan of trackers, but I accept many are. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

What a horrible feeling that must have been, I am sure we all sympathise greatly 

Trouble is your average toe-rag knows exactly where tracker devices are located, and how to disable them.

Bit worrying about the various AL-KO locks not having done their job. It would be interesting to know if the locks were defeated in some way, or by-passed (caravan dragged or hi-ab’ed onto a flat bed for example).  I am not suggesting you post details of how the thefts were achieved, just a generalisation (don’t want to give anyone any ideas do we?) 

Technically your caravan was stolen so you will need to inform your insurance company. You can guess what will happen then can’t you ? :( 

When we moved house the one thing I absolutely insisted on was room to store my Motorhome on my property. I realise that’s not possible for everyone, and it’s no guarantee that my caravan won’t get stolen, but being right alongside it, with a car directly in front of it does make me feel its reasonably secure. (Wood already touched, and fingers well crossed in respect of the last sentence though) 

Is the Bailey tracker one that notifies you if the caravan moves (pro-active)  or do you need to notify them if it gets nicked (re-active or passive) Personally I am not a great fan of trackers, but I accept many are. 

I don’t know details, apart from units were towed behind vehicles. Police seized cars, and recovered van to compound. From this scant information  I guess locks were cut off. 
Insurance and CRiS informed. 
The tracker was supposed to notify, but didn’t. Tracker have contacted me, and want to investigate why it didn’t. 

Not good, but keep us posted please...

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Bit worrying about the various AL-KO locks not having done their job. It would be interesting to know if the locks were defeated in some way, or by-passed

If more than one caravan with multiple AL-KO locks was taken at the same time I'm thinking gas axe.

No defence against such a determined thief !

5 hours ago, Flatcoat888 said:

I know the feeling. I almost had my then few weeks old van stolen last October. The thieves could not remove the Bulldog clamp albeit they did steal another van. Mine suffered quite a lot of collateral damage for which my insurers will not pay, saying it is the storage compound operators liability for enabling someone to get in..... Unfortunately getting parts to repair is proving challenging, i hope you have better luck! 

Can you clarify this please. The insurance are saying that they expect the storage site to pay for the damage to your van and pay nothing out themselves!! Surely this can't be right, would they pay up if it was stolen? If the insurance are saying it is not their responsibility, then the insurance only covers you when away from the storage compound? Sounds very unfair to me.

Who are the insurers? 

I would be inclined to get that refusal in writing, and then see a solicitor!  

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Who are the insurers? 

:goodpost:

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Who are the insurers? 

I would look towards the Financial Ombudsman Service.

FOS

why are people reluctant to name storage places that lose caravans? That puts other members caravans at risk as they may go on to use that storage facility. As for advising how security systems were defeated, that is a double edge sword. You may give a heads up to would be thieves but you also give a heads up to caravan owners that want to protect their caravans.

Currently my caravan is in storage while we look for a new home but when it was at home, the one we sold it was out of sight. You could come in the front gate, wall to the front door, even walk half way along the drive and still not see it.  Where we are now there are 2 caravans in plain view from a busy road. An advert house is empty when they are away.

macafee2

3 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

why are people reluctant to name storage places that lose caravans?

Site rules ! 

You are allowed to praise, but not name and shame due to possible legal ramifications!

Poor poor you-sound very organised-glad they got them. Do hope there isn't too much damage to your caravan(S). I'd like to know which insurer refused payment-I know you can't but that is appalling and as others say-straight to the ombudsman with that one!

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Site rules ! 

You are allowed to praise, but not name and shame due to possible legal ramifications!

Ironically, the press will no doubt report that police apprehended thieves as they stole caravans from XYZ Storage in Essexburough.

So had the OP  said the same then that is not naming and shaming, just a verifiable factual account of the incident.

They could also have said that the thieves got past a security gate, CCTV, and 4 guard dogs, and on my caravan defeated the 2 wheel locks and managed to not trigger the factory fitted alarm and tracker device.

So whilst outright Naming and Shaming is not allowed, reporting the facts is.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Site rules ! 

ok thanks.  What is the world coming to when there is an issue in posting the truth?

Lets turn this around, people heap praise on a company and then a member gets rubbish service. Is there any legal ramifications?  Bit like giving a good reference for an employee that is rubbish at the job.

macafee2

I don’t make the rules! 

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

Ironically, the press will no doubt report that police apprehended thieves as they stole caravans from XYZ Storage in Essexburough.

So had the OP  said the same then that is not naming and shaming, just a verifiable factual account of the incident.

They could also have said that the thieves got past a security gate, CCTV, and 4 guard dogs, and on my caravan defeated the 2 wheel locks and managed to not trigger the factory fitted alarm and tracker device.

I could have named the site, but I chose not for various reasons, not least as it’s part of active police investigation, and I have no desire to appear to interfere or influence in this. 

17 minutes ago, Steven said:

That's a very useful bit of info - thanks.  The 2 posters following yours seem to have missed it.