Turkey Anyone?

16 hours ago, David in Cheshire said:

I am a fan of Croatia after 6 visits but the weather is winding down late September and most if not all the big campsites close first week in October so not really an overwintering destination.

Hi Dave

Thanks for this, do they open around March time do you know, also any recommendations on sites please?

Phil.

8 hours ago, phil1041 said:

Hi Dave

Thanks for this, do they open around March time do you know, also any recommendations on sites please?

Phil.

From a quick browse Phil it looks as though you wont find many open until mid May in Istria but I dont know about further south. 

I wonder has many Brits spend the winter in Spain, will a reduction in numbers have an impact on the local economy. 

Anyone know the rough percentage of  Brits that would be on a site ?

The ninety day rule is bad for both campers and the site owners, particularity once we can all travel again. 

1 hour ago, tonyradstone said:

I wonder has many Brits spend the winter in Spain, will a reduction in numbers have an impact on the local economy. 

Anyone know the rough percentage of  Brits that would be on a site ?

The ninety day rule is bad for both campers and the site owners, particularity once we can all travel again. 

Yes and not a small number of them voted for it. A friend of mine was horrified and embarrassed when fellow Brits held a Brexit celebration  party on site in Spain. She went out for the day to avoid being associated with them.

5 hours ago, David in Cheshire said:

Yes and not a small number of them voted for it. A friend of mine was horrified and embarrassed when fellow Brits held a Brexit celebration  party on site in Spain. She went out for the day to avoid being associated with them.

And now those same people didn't realise they had to apply for residency and now too late!  

• 2 weeks later...

I have just drove our caravan to Turkey from Denmark. Apart from a few km in Bulgaria the road to Turkey is almost a constant highway now. I have driven this route many times before(without caravan) and I would recommend the Serbian route if you are interested in getting to Turkey as conveniently as possible. 

Caravanning in Turkey is a quite new thing. Camp sites are hard to get by and even if you do the facilities in those are pitiful. Camping on random spots around is actually illegal but from what i understand from my conversations with officers you hardly get a fine for it, at worst are asked to move away. 

Turkey is in a deep crisis and the currency has devalued many folds during the last few years. Once the country of most expensive fuel in the world now a liter of diesel costs 0.68 eur or 0.59 pounds. Things are quite cheap  so overall it can worth the challenges. 

We drove to Turkey in 1989 with our 4 year old Daughter and in a Ford Xr3 i

We went the scenic route down the coast of old Yugo, into Greece, through Kavala into Turkey.

Then through Istanbul to the Black Sea and down the middle to Antalya and all the coast back up to Galiploi and then a ferry across 

We were tenting and had no problem finding campsites.

It was a fantastic experience and many people were very poor, particularly in Yugo 

Posted (edited)

Yes it was nice and very poor with empty shelves in grocery stores. We found Yugo people kept themselves to themselves on campsites until they had a few drinks, then they would chat to us

The old Mostar Bridge !

We did get refused entry to a campsite because we were not German!

Shame as it was in a really nice location!

Oh we had a few ice cold showers!

we went down via the coast rd and returned through the middle main route.

Driving the main route was an experience as the roads were then very poor and when overtaking,  the vehicle with the nose in front had right of way!

I forgot to say, that while in Turkey we visited Istanbul a couple times and went over both bridges 

Years before, we backpacked around Turkey  and visited the Pudding Shop ( ref the film,

Midnight Express!)

Edited by Guest

I remember the pudding shop from 1971. We slept every night on the rooftop of an hotel rather than the dormitory. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Posted (edited)

After watching the film, Midnight Express, it turned Mrs G off going to Turkey.  It took me another two or three years to convince her to go there 

Please refresh my memory. The Pudding Shop was across the road from The Blue Mosque and St Sophies wasn't it?

Edited by Guest

On 23/05/2021 at 11:33, Mr Plodd said:

But the “other” 90 days would have to be in a non Schengen country, and there are not too many of them nearby, or en route! 

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the 90 day visa-free stay applies EU-wide, not just for the Schengen area.