Turkey Anyone?

Pondering Turkey as a non EU destination for taking my tourer to in the winter, anyone caravanned in Turkey, particularly the warmer southern coastal areas? any recommendations for sites and advice would be much appreciated.

Phil.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Have you looked at the distance, Turkey is a very long way indeed! 

Yeh its roughly  2500 miles for me not a problem  I will  be staying  for the winter i have towed to Morocco in the past a similar distance.

Posted (edited)

Jaydug is correct. You will need a Turkish e-visa for touristic purposes. It is valid for 180 days. During that period you can visit Turkey for up to 90 days in total, either in one go or through multiple visits. An overstay risks a fine and deportation.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/e-visa.co.uk/turkey/validity/amp

Edited by Legal Eagle

thats a shame, it sounded like a dam good idea to me, 90 days in turkey and 90 days else where then?

12 minutes ago, hedgerowpete said:

thats a shame, it sounded like a dam good idea to me, 90 days in turkey and 90 days else where then?

Yeh, that's  my thinking now.

Posted (edited)

I have looked at the stats for the Antalya region and to be fair, they were comparable with southern Spain in the winter months where i have wintered for the last ten years. Its a big country, like Spain, if you look at the stats for anywhere north of Madrid for the winter months, its colder than the uk!!

In fairness however, i have never been to the place and so i can only go on the stats. I would love to hear from anyone that has actually overwintered there. 

Edited by phil1041

2 hours ago, hedgerowpete said:

But the “other” 90 days would have to be in a non Schengen country, and there are not too many of them nearby, or en route! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

But the “other” 90 days would have to be in a non Schengen country, and there are not too many of them nearby, or en route! 

Unless i am mistaken you pass through at least 2 en route there, ie Bulgaria and Croatia ??  https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/non-schengen-countries 

Wonder if Cyprus has caravan sites?? 😊😊

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Posted (edited)

No visa needed in Bulgaria, Croatia or Cyprus providing you only stay for a maximum 90 days in any 180 days.

However, if you plan a trip to Cyprus don't forget the north is a Turkish Republic.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

So is that in addition to the 90 in 180 you can spend in say France?? Or the same rule?  

Can you spend 90 days in France then 90 days in Croatia and not fall foul of the Schengen rule ? (Not forgetting to allow for the period of time required to transit back through the Schengen zone from Croatia to the U.K.)

If that’s the case then I can see Croatia suddenly becoming very a popular destination with over wintering people.  But as I have not seen this suggested anywhere I suspect it ain’t that simple! 

According to This webpage  it looks like Croatia has the same Schengen visa requirements as say Germany. I confess to being confused by it all now. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Mmmmmm, yes me too, so basically i would like to know if i could spend 90 days in Turkey and then traverse to Croatia for the following 90 days?? anyone?

Phil.

9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

According to This webpage  it looks like Croatia has the same Schengen visa requirements as say Germany. I confess to being confused by it all now. 

..also from your link:

There are five more EU members, that have not joined the Schengen zone: Ireland – which still maintains opt-outs and Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, and Cyprus – that are seeking to join soon.

Clear as mud innit??

Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus are not Schengen area countries yet so Schengen visa rules will not apply. They have brought themselves in line with the Schengen area visa rules in anticipation of joining the area as EU member states.

Turkey is a seperate country, not in Schengen or the EU. 

It seems you could stay in Turkey for 90 days then move to Croatia for 90 days then move on to a Schengen country......but if you travelled through any of them on the way out you may need to watch for and deduct the days spent travelling through.

3 minutes ago, phil1041 said:

Mmmmmm, yes me too, so basically i would like to know if i could spend 90 days in Turkey and then traverse to Croatia for the following 90 days?? anyone?

Phil.

But having already spent 90 in, and getting to Turkey you would have to transit through other Schengen countries to get back to the U.K. So your “90 days” in Turkey would need to factor in the days required to get to and from there

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

But having already spent 90 in, and getting to Turkey you would have to transit through other Schengen countries to get back to the U.K. So your “90 days” in Turkey would need to factor in the days required to get to and from there

Do you mean travel through Schengen or just time in Turkey?

Time in Turkey and the non-Schengen countries won't count towards the time in the Schengen area.

Edited by Legal Eagle

1 minute ago, Legal Eagle said:

No they wouldn't. The 90 days start when you enter the country. Turkey has as much to do with Schengen and the EU rules as the USA! It's a completely seperate country.

Have to say that was my thoughts in choosing Turkey in the first place, thank you for the advice.

Phil.

1 minute ago, phil1041 said:

Have to say that was my thoughts in choosing Turkey in the first place, thank you for the advice.

Phil.

I've edited that post since your response.

5 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I've edited that post since your response.

So have I! 

Cant tell my Turkey from my Croatia !! I did say I was getting confused earlier :blink:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, phil1041 said:

, if you look at the stats for anywhere north of Madrid for the winter months, its colder than the uk!!

Likewise, if you look at Dubrovnic's weather, (which is as far south as it's possible to get in Croatia), it's not much better than the UK.   Plenty of rain in November and December and only an average of 8C.    So, to my mind not an alternative to the Costas.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 minute ago, Jaydug said:

Likewise, if you look at Dubrovnic's weather, (which is as far south as it's possible to get in Croatia), it's not much better than the UK.   Plenty of rain in November and December and only an average of 8C.

Yes agreed, thats why i was thinking about Croatia after Turkey say maybe March April May time, still pondering things at the moment.

Phil.

Schengen rules are an absolute nightmare!  There are so many computations. Surely going to be in the top five of most discussed topics on this forum for this year and several years to come.....

4 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Likewise, if you look at Dubrovnic's weather, (which is as far south as it's possible to get in Croatia), it's not much better than the UK.   Plenty of rain in November and December and only an average of 8C.    So, to my mind not an alternative to the Costas.

I am a fan of Croatia after 6 visits but the weather is winding down late September and most if not all the big campsites close first week in October so not really an overwintering destination.