Towing and purchasing an old Static caravans

Posted (edited)

I think I got as far as I am going to go ells where with this one http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168708

So I though I would ask the question hear as there must be loads of people that have considered towing a static caravan with there own car

What I have learnt is the the maximum trailer width for a car is 2.55M. But you are allowed to have over hangs with markers light and informing the police

I have seen these static caravans go for as little as 99p on ebay (but not now! https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=static+caravan&_sacat=0&_sop=1&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1) in the autumn fall as you have to tow it away your self and as I have been told you can not tow them on the road as they are to big and they must go on a lorry. But as I learnt in the above link I posted not the case! It can be any size vhircle but again as I was advised it must be an over hang and not part of the vhircle. But defining this is where dose one draw the line from welded, nut and bolt to ratchet strap?

If all you want is somewhere for your customers to sit eat and drink to get round planning regulations then a towable trailer springs to mind. And that give me several options to consider

1. log porter cabin

2. office type porter cabin

3. A static caravan

4. a normal size caravan

But if I want to keep the cost down to a minimum and to buy second hand that way if I pack it up in a short space of time for what ever reason then I have only lost transport costs and the listing fee costs; as opposed to half the value I paid for said container then I would look at buying an old caravan that looked tidy on the outside and did not leak but was a tip on the inside as all I will ever do is strip the inside out board up any holes with wood and shagpile it with carpet then table and chairs and fit gas heaters

So what do you think? Thinking size wise the bigger the better!

Edited by batista230

The wheels on a static are only suitable for manoeuvring it on to the back of a lorry and putting it in position on site, there is no suspension units fitted so totally unsuitable for towing on the roads.

There are many other reasons, but I will leave it to others to point out lengths, weights and licence restrictions.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

In addittion to GrandpaSteves comment 2 things occur to me:-

1 "overhang" is the amount by which the load exceeds the width of the trailer it's being carried on,

2  even older statics are 10 feet wide (3.04meters) -  way in excess of the maximum for a road going trailer in the uk.

You need a flatbed trailer suitable to carry your portakabin/static and a suitable tow vehicle.

Whoever drives needs a suitable licence.

No lights, no brakes, no suspension, hubs, wheels and tyres only designed for moving around a site or loading on a truck, lightweight bolt on removable A frame on many not designed for the stresses of towing distances, the whole fabric of the static is not designed to cope with the loads and stresses of road use and so on.

The only way to move it legally is on a truck, or truck and trailer,then depending on width a support vehicle is required in front, ever thought why this is the one and only way you see them  moving about the roads ?

9 hours ago, batista230 said:

If all you want is somewhere for your customers to sit eat and drink to get round planning regulations then a towable trailer springs to mind. And that give me several options to consider

1. log porter cabin..........................It has to be moved on a truck

2. office type porter cabin.............................it has to be moved on a truck.

3. A static caravan...........................it has to be moved on a truck.

4. a normal size caravan...........................possible if you have a) a vehicle big enough to legally tow it, b) a trailer licence. c) able to insure it for commercial use.

Why do you want to get around planning regulations, why don't you want to run legit, no matter what you use where you put it sooner or later the local council will be round.

Just purchase a catering van, as long as you can comply with 4a,b,c above.

If it was physically possible, then the Travelling community would already be doing it... but even they use commercial trucks to get them delivered to site.

I cant imagine many people have considered towing a static caravan with their own car, I was going to say I cant imagine anyone has considered towing a static caravan with their own car but then the OP's post.

macafee2

13 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Why do you want to get around planning regulations, why don't you want to run legit, no matter what you use where you put it sooner or later the local council will be round.

Because they have ranked the whole thing up over the last year (in line with everything ells of cource)

Where by Pubs, Bookies and takeaways are now within there own category which means full change of use now required

Planning seams to be nearly a faceless operation where a lot of my enquires go unanswered! (or even ignored) And with taking upto 12 weeks to get planning permission to leave my porter cabin on the ground after the hours of trading it would be easier to leave on a motor vihircle where they can do nothing as (the man quite rightly said) its movable

10 hours ago, 2seaside said:

If it was physically possible, then the Travelling community would already be doing it... but even they use commercial trucks to get them delivered to site.

I think I got the HGV thing cleared and out of the way on the other forum the gross weight dose not apply

10 hours ago, macafee2 said:

I cant imagine many people have considered towing a static caravan with their own car, I was going to say I cant imagine anyone has considered towing a static caravan with their own car but then the OP's post.

macafee2

Well I am talking about a 3.5T transit van hear. But what do you think a static caravan would weigh?

I wonder how easy it would be to split the caravan from the chassis/ frame making it a mobile home

• Steven locked this topic