Minehead to Woolacombe what is the recommended towing route?

Posted (edited)

I understand the A39 has a steep hill (Porlock) with a hair pin and historically was not recommended for towing. Is this an urban myth? 

What are the views on this and what alternative routes would be suggested if the A39 is not a great idea?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Fenester

• Fenester changed the title to Minehead to Woolacombe what is the recommended towing route?
Posted (edited)

Porlock Hill has a big sign advising against towing caravans - this link to StreetView may work - https://goo.gl/maps/WGYeFFvNCxHiXbox9 - if it doesn’t, it advises using the lower toll road instead - but I’ve heard that’s almost as bad!

Other than that you may have to go via Barnstaple and the A361 toTiverton, then the windy A396 back northwards!

Edited by -Jim-

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, -Jim- said:

Porlock Hill has a big sign advising against towing caravans - this link to StreetView may work - https://goo.gl/maps/WGYeFFvNCxHiXbox9 - if it doesn’t, it advises using the lower toll road instead - but I’ve heard that’s almost as bad!

Other than that you may have to go via Barnstaple and the A361 toTiverton, then the windy A396 back northwards!

Thanks Jim

What about the  A396  to Wheddon Cross then  B3224 -  B3323 - B3358 via Exford?

Edited by Fenester

7 hours ago, Fenester said:

What about the  A396  to Wheddon Cross then  B3224 -  B3323 - B3358 via Exford?

Cannot see any real problems with that route. Regularly used by HGV’s

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/05/2021 at 06:44, PR1 said:

Cannot see any real problems with that route. Regularly used by HGV’s

In the end we found there was a length restriction through Dunster 33 ft so having discussed the issue with the Warden at Minehead we unfortunately had to go all the way back to Taunton. In the future we would not pair these sites in a single holiday as it took ages,

The centre of Dunster itself  is very tight in just a couple of places (sharp corners with precious little room between buildings). The length restriction is there for a very good reason. 

No way on the planet would I even think of towing up Porlock hill, it’s about 1 in 4 with hairpin bends 

Lovely campsite right alongside the river at Exford, it’s just a nightmare to get to. 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

36 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The centre of Dunster itself  is very tight in just a couple of places (sharp corners with precious little room between buildings). The length restriction is there for a very good reason. 

No way on the planet would I even think of towing up Porlock hill, it’s about 1 in 4 with hairpin bends 

Lovely campsite right alongside the river at Exford, it’s just a nightmare to get to. 

Been up Porlock hill with a minibus, some Leyland thing, with a trailer on the back! Just shoved it in 1st and away I went!

oh the joys of youth! Would not do it now!

I think the toll road is far too tight for a caravan!

39 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Towed through Dunster many times! All controlled by traffic lights now! Not a problem to me!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PR1 said:

Been up Porlock hill with a minibus, some Leyland thing, with a trailer on the back! Just shoved it in 1st and away I went!

oh the joys of youth! Would not do it now!

Towed through Dunster many times! All controlled by traffic lights now! Not a problem to me!

14 hours ago, Fenester said:

In the end we found there was a length restriction through Dunster 33 ft so having discussed the issue with the Warden at Minehead we unfortunately had to go all the way back to Taunton. In the future we would not pair these sites in a single holiday as it took ages,

There is a legal length restriction of 31' 2"    9.5m so with a 7 meter caravan plus car  this is not a legal option. I looked on street view to check so the earlier 33 ft I quoted was incorrect, it is less!

Edited by Fenester
Clarity edit

I can remember in my teens, going with my parents towing a 2 berth caravan (I stayed in a pup tent) down that hair pin bend on Porlock Hill. I think my dad got a few grey hairs that day. 😅

16 hours ago, Fenester said:

In the future we would not pair these sites in a single holiday as it took ages,

agreed, the most sensible option

16 hours ago, PR1 said:

agree again, in fact the toll road has much tighter hairpin turns that the main A39, one of which IIRC has a kind of stone cairn or similar right on the apex, presumably to protect the three foot or so sheer drop from the uphill side to the downhill. In addition for much of it's length it is quite narrow and there is little in the way of passing places. 

The A 396 is not an option due to the restrictions in Dunster. 

21 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Would that site be Westermill farm as you say lovely site but a made to get too.

I towed up that hill, I missed the sign and went merrily on my way. At the time I was driving a diesel Seat Alambra, a superb tow car, didn’t miss a beat.

3 hours ago, mickfishing said:

Would that site be Westermill farm as you say lovely site but a made to get too.

Nope! 

Exe Valley Camping Site

Best thing is being right alongside the river, it’s adults only ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.