We cancelled our long awaited holiday!

We had booked into Weymouth Haven Seaview for eight days starting yesterday. We cancelled the first two days because of the atrocious weather, and now the forecast is even worse, so it's a no go as we don't really want to sit on top of a hill being battered by wind and rain! Let's hope our planned trip to the Lake District starting 8th June fares better. 

I should add that up until now we have usually toured Western Europe, and with good reason...

John

Posted (edited)

Be prepared for lots on here to 'tut' at you for cancelling due to weather, and preventing others from being able to have your pitch. Had it been a Caravan Club site then the masses on here would rise up against you.......:D

Personally I agree with you, why pay for a holiday if you aren't going to enjoy it, and I would ave cancelled too. At least any last minute bookers can now take that pitch, assuming they were fully booked. Hope you find a more suitable time to have your holiday.

Edited by JCCD

14 minutes ago, simplyloco said:

We had booked into Weymouth Haven Seaview for eight days starting yesterday. We cancelled the first two days because of the atrocious weather, and now the forecast is even worse, so it's a no go as we don't really want to sit on top of a hill being battered by wind and rain! Let's hope our planned trip to the Lake District starting 8th June fares better. 

I should add that up until now we have usually toured Western Europe, and with good reason...

John

From your profile local to you, there are plenty of nice sites in the New forest.  Have yourselves a long weekend there, then it’s not all lost

We towed to Cirencester from Shropshire yesterday, it was a little breezy but OK.

The site is pretty sheltered  but it has been gusty and raining all night.

We got our small awning on ok yesterday afternoon as the wind had dropped.

A fair number of the grass pitches are out of use due to being waterlogged.

Not promising for the bank holiday  unless it dries up.

We are on a hardstanding but leaving next Thursday as we avoid school holidays now.

We are booked for a visit to ferry meadows from this Sunday 23rd  6 nights, the current weather forecast not very encouraging, but will go and see if it improves the later part of the week at least we might get 3 okay days , only 76 miles from home so an easy journey , if the weather  turns really nasty we can pack up and return .

3 hours ago, simplyloco said:

John

No criticism of you cancelling because of the weather, but it does give rise to the charging of a  non returnable deposit.  Would you have gone if you had had to pay, say £50, or as for many other holiday bookings, the full amount 7 days in advance?

Just now, ivan leslie said:

No criticism of you cancelling because of the weather, but it does give rise to the charging of a  non returnable deposit.  Would you have gone if you had had to pay, say £50, or as for many other holiday bookings, the full amount 7 days in advance?

No. I learnt while in the Army that any fool can be uncomfortable and  I can also afford to say no. Surprisingly enough, Haven gave us a pro-rata refund for the first two days we cancelled, and we didn't even have to ask for it! We await their response to the  cancellation of the remaining six days...:unsure:

Posted (edited)

Sitting here at the moment getting battered for the second day on the Cornish Atlantic coast, 50-60mph gusts.

Should be easing later but not completely, it was fine on the day we towed down but would have delayed with the way things are now.

Note. Caravans still turning up, must have had a hellish  tow.

Edited by Griff
Note added.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Now that Spain have said tourists don't need tests or proof of vaccination (although have to self isolate on return to UK), and coupled with this weather I think caravan sites are going to get cancellations.

I hope it clears up and gets a bit warmer for our trip to Somerset next Friday.  I couldn't get my first or second site preference when I booked a couple of weeks ago.

Forecast is looking good after next Tuesday meadowsweet,so looks like your going to be ok.🌞🌞

We’ve been away since 13th May and so far have had 2 dry days! The forecast for the next few days is not good and it looks like we may get just 2 more dry days before we head home on the 27th. To be honest, if we hadn’t fully paid for this second week I think we would’ve cancelled. It’s been rescheduled three times now due to COVID.

That's one of the reasons why we would head for Europe.  Have been there both sunny and atrocious weather.  If in Europe, you can't pack up and go home because of bad weather.  Its all part and parcel of weather conditions, no matter where in the world you are.  Also, whether abroad or in this country, I would never cancel a holiday because of weather.  To me, its you lose some, you win some.  Remember, there are some people out there who can't afford any type of holidays for whatever reason, whether because of ill health, out of work, etc.  Be fortunate that you can go away

Remember, there are some people out there who can't afford any type of holidays for whatever reason, whether because of ill health, out of work, etc.  Be fortunate that you can go away

Well said.👌

I live in Weymouth, and I can confirm that’s it’s still blowing very hard indeed here! 

Our (40 yr old)  son is doing a 100k run along the SW Coast path tomorrow. Corfe Castle to Bridport. Don’t envy him! But apparently there is going to be a 20 hour “window” in the weather. He reckons it’s going to take him 14-16 hours. I reckon he’s barking, but what do I know? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Visited Waymouth last year - lovely - stayed at Bridport CAMHC 👍

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I live in Weymouth, and I can confirm that’s it’s still blowing very hard indeed here! 

Our (40 yr old)  son is doing a 100k run along the SW Coast path tomorrow. Corfe Castle to Bridport. Don’t envy him! But apparently there is going to be a 20 hour “window” in the weather. He reckons it’s going to take him 14-16 hours. I reckon he’s barking, but what do I know? 

I’ll be thinking of your son whilst supping a pint 😀 sure he will do just fine 👍 

I’m sure as well, doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s barking though.

He’s just eaten an enormous portion of Lasagne and garlic bread, with a side of wedges followed by a bucket of rhubarb crumble. Apparently it’s all to do with something called “Carb loading” ? 

In addition to the distance there is also a total of a 7500 ft elevation climb to cope with as well. Like I said, barking! 

There’s a reason that the Lake District is nice and green and it’s got something to do with rain😀

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ashey said:

There’s a reason that the Lake District is nice and green and it’s got something to do with rain😀

I suspect that is the reason why it's called the Lake District!😇

Edited by simplyloco

11 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I’m sure as well, doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s barking though.

He’s just eaten an enormous portion of Lasagne and garlic bread, with a side of wedges followed by a bucket of rhubarb crumble. Apparently it’s all to do with something called “Carb loading” ? 

In addition to the distance there is also a total of a 7500 ft elevation climb to cope with as well. Like I said, barking! 

I 100% agree......barking mad 😀

11 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

“Carb loading”

That’s one of my hobbies!

I don’t bother with the running though, as it’s bad for your knees.

28 minutes ago, 8ftWanderer said:

That’s one of my hobbies!

I don’t bother with the running though, as it’s bad for your knees.

Nice one :D !! 

15 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mr Plodd's local weather forecast has given me an idea. I assume we have forum members located in all areas of the UK, could we have a dedicated section so forum members could ask  for specific weather conditions in an area they are travelling to? I know there are forecasts you can google, but a more local one may help a member to decide what to take with them...ie large awning/porch awning  extra straps etc etc...just a thought....

Cracking idea!!

Happy to provide any information. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, gtepete said:

Mr Plodd's local weather forecast has given me an idea. I assume we have forum members located in all areas of the UK, could we have a dedicated section so forum members could ask  for specific weather conditions in an area they are travelling to? I know there are forecasts you can google, but a more local one may help a member to decide what to take with them...ie large awning/porch awning  extra straps etc etc...just a thought....

I can confirm it is currently a bit chilly up norf. I can't see what colour the sky is as I haven't opened my living room blinds yet. I'll report back around midday.

Edited by JCCD