13 pin plug unscrewing

I think the 13 pin plugs are great, but, am I doing something wrong?  Sometimes when connecting to the car, twisting the plug to lock into the socket I find that the head? unscrews off the pins / cable.  It will screw back on again but no matter how tight I try, plugging in does eventually cause it to separate.

Not sure I fully understand what bit is coming adrift, but it’s been said many times that the factory fitted plugs are the lowest quality available. 
Search online and find decent brand one, and replace it. 
It’s simple enough to do, but take several good photos of the wires before you start, and check what you have matches diagrams found on internet 

I will take a photo next time I'm at storage.  The 13 pin plug is on the end of a Y adaptor to convert my old van's 2x7 pin plugs.  I think it is this.  Maypole 13 Pin to 7 Pin Plug Caravan Towing Adaptor Lead 12N/12S Electrics MP603.

I do realise that fitting a good 13 pin plug on to the 2 caravan cables would be best, however the tricky job to do this seems to be compounded by trying to get two cables into one gland.  Crawling under the van to fit a 13 core cable to the van's electrics is not an option. 

3 hours ago, ChrisUK said:

I do realise that fitting a good 13 pin plug on to the 2 caravan cables would be best, however the tricky job to do this seems to be compounded by trying to get two cables into one gland.

You can get 13 pin plugs that have two cable holes in the gland. 

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

You can get 13 pin plugs that have two cable holes in the gland. 

Didn't know that, will look, any link?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ChrisUK said:

I think the 13 pin plugs are great, but, am I doing something wrong?  Sometimes when connecting to the car, twisting the plug to lock into the socket I find that the head? unscrews off the pins / cable.  It will screw back on again but no matter how tight I try, plugging in does eventually cause it to separate.

It is not actually the plug that is twisted but the part with the round disc on it on the outside of the plug that is turned. The plug should be held in the socket and then the outer ring with the disc turned clockwise about  a quarter turn to pull the plug fully into the socket whilst still holding the plug. When removing hold the plug and turn the outer disc anti clockwise about a quarter turn so the plug comes out of the socket but it might also need a slight pull for the last bit once turned. I've had a  caravan 13 pin plug/socket since 2011 and not had a problem, also last few years I have been charging the car battery weekly (due to lack of use) using the tow bar 13 pin socket and a plug on the charger and still not had a problem doing this many hundreds of times.

Edited by Paul1957

This might do the trick, I would give them a call to confirm the cable glands are big enough for the 'N' & 'S' cables as others I have seen are only good for smaller diameter cables even though they say they are designed to take two cables
 Link Here

I have had this problem and it is the body of the plug unscrewing, mine got so bad it would not tighten so I replaced the plug.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

16 hours ago, Bryn58 said:

This might do the trick, I would give them a call to confirm the cable glands are big enough for the 'N' & 'S' cables as others I have seen are only good for smaller diameter cables even though they say they are designed to take two cables
 Link Here

Thanks, I have bookmarked it.

1 hour ago, IanV8 said:

I have had this problem and it is the body of the plug unscrewing, mine got so bad it would not tighten so I replaced the plug.

Ian

That sounds like mine.

I spent five minutes sitting down at the car / van and realised that I must have been twisting the whole of the plug, not just the collar.  I took a photo but can not see the insert option?  I have inserted into posts before.

I had the same problem on my previous caravan. You need to replace the plug. My previous caravan had 2 cables wired into a 13pin. When I changed it I also replaced cable. Not difficult. I used 2 metres of single cable through floor of caravan & connected inside caravan to the cut off twin cables using connector block. 

All info required for correct cable connection was easily found online. 

8 hours ago, Camperdom said:

I had the same problem on my previous caravan. You need to replace the plug. My previous caravan had 2 cables wired into a 13pin. When I changed it I also replaced cable. Not difficult. I used 2 metres of single cable through floor of caravan & connected inside caravan to the cut off twin cables using connector block. 

All info required for correct cable connection was easily found online. 

Thanks.  Shortly off on a long stay caravan holiday in Scotland so will put up with it till after then.  However from memory, the two wires disappear into the electrics in different places under a locker and although I am a retired electrical engineer,  it is not a physically easy job to do.

On 22/05/2021 at 18:21, ChrisUK said:

I spent five minutes sitting down at the car / van and realised that I must have been twisting the whole of the plug, not just the collar.  

That is exactly the point, it is not the plug that should be turned, just the locking collar that sits round the plug's shank.

Turning the plug would also turn the cable, not a great way to treat that.

I inherently hold the rear of the plug steady and turn the collar.

I did have one drop off in France a few years ago and the pins were wearing away on the road surface! Fortunately there was just enough pin left to connect to the socket. 

I always carry a spare now but it hasn't happened again although I always check that it is tightened up these days.

• 2 months later...

Problem solved.  I had more problems with the Maypole connector.  Falling apart at a stop over site, then arriving on site on Mull with the pins trailing on the ground.  Probably came off exiting the ferry.  I had a replacement connector delivered (not Maypole) and that has worked fine.  Just been in the garage to investigate further and found (difficult to explain not being able to show pics) that the end plastic moulding was not properly screwed into the mid moulding properly.  It was not possible to screw it in correctly until I released the gland nut from the third inner moulding to allow for it  to be screwed together properly.  I suspect that it was never assembled correctly in the first place.

I now tow with the side lights on rather than the auto setting so that I can see the caravan sidelights in the mirrors.