Regulator Query

We have a new caravan with a propane regulator already fitted. We connected up our bottle and tried the cooker. We could hear gas flowing and I left it clear for a few minutes before igniting. When I tried again the flame from the small ring on the cooker was massive (about 15 inch's in width) I cut out the gas straight away and we are awaiting a gas installer to check out the cooker and regulator. The bottle is a 34kg propane bottle,the van says that a 37mbar connection is required. The regulator fitted says "1 - 4mbar". Does anyone know if the regulator is causing the huge flames from the cooker? I presume if we get the regulator swapped over to a 37mbar one it will fix it? Just hope it's not the oven that's faulty.

We had a whiff of propane in our 2020 Buccaneer. Checked EVERYTHING! Bought two new hand wheel operated tails from a bottle gas company in HD (!) for under £20 - fixed.  You dont say where or what the regulator is. Is it an auto change over or is it simply a standard regulator on the end of the tail. If its a new van then the issue if with your dealer. If there is no smell in the van then its my guess simply to swap the regulator and try again.

It sounds as though the fitting you have isn't a regulator at all, but a 'tap'.

If the caravan isn't a recent model with a bulkhead regulator fitted (now required by law on new vans), then yes, you need to fit the correct regulator at the bottle.

I had a similar issue with a connector I bought in a diy warehouse in Spain for using a gas bottle off the van with a BBQ. Gave me a heck of a surprise and singed all the hair off one arm!

Jim

Posted (edited)

1-4 Mbar is an extremely low pressure and if it did pass gas at that pressure I doubt it would keep a pilot flame burning.

As Jampot says, it could be a tap/valve, but if so I can' understand the 1-4Mbar marking.

As others have said, a regulator can be mounted in two places on the bulkhead, with a tail, ( pipe ) screwed into the gas bottle at one end the other end screwed into the regulator on the bulkhead.

The other way has a regulator screwed into the gas bottle, with a pipe from this regulator going to the caravan gas connection.

Are you sure the ' reg ' you have says 1-4Mbar and not 1-4 bar ( see 3 below)

Which one does yours use ?

Just noticed you have a static, regs on statics are normally mounted on an outside wall, some with a manifold that allows two bottles to be connected with a changeover valve, but some get changed to a bottle mounted one when a changeover system goes faulty.

Have you had a look at regs on other vans on the site ?

To get flames that big it points to excess pressure, which can be caused by 1) there not being a reg. fitted and you have bottle pressure at the burner, 2) a correct but faulty reg, unusual because they normally fail safe, 3) an incorrect regulator which allows higher outlet pressures up to 4 bar for such as gas fired forges and metal work ovens, and 4) if a bottle is used on its side it can allow liquid propane into the reg and pipework  where it quickly turns to a high pressure high volume gas.

Let us know which reg you have, I was going to say post a photo of the item with 1-4 Mbar on, but you can't.

Edited by Silversurf

22 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Let us know which reg you have, I was going to say post a photo of the item with 1-4 Mbar on, but you can't.

:rolleyes: