How to measure lay flat hose!

yorkyguy

We were away this weekend and needed to extend our water lay flat hose to reach the tap on a service pitch by connecting a  length of blue rigid hose.  How do you measure the size/diameter of the hose? Looked on the web and the smallest I can find is 1 inch. Is this the width of the hose when when flat or is it its working diameter when filled with water?  When its pinched open it measures about 15mm - what you would expect to push onto a standard garden connector. What do you buy for this job?

Cheers

Any thoughts out there?

Flat hose sounds like a good idea but in reality is a pain in the backside, we gave ours away. You shouldn't need a lot of proper hose for a service pitch, as the tap is normally close by. What comes with the standard Aquaroll 'ballcock' system is plenty. You have to unroll the whole flat hose every time you use it and water gets in between the inner and outer layers such that it makes it difficult to roll back up and soaks your shoes and trousers whilst doing so.  Definitely a 'Don't Buy'.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I totally agree, flat fabric hoses are a waste of money and don't last llong. We use a hose cassette with 10m, it is compact,and lightweight.

hose.jpg

1 hour ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

Flat hose sounds like a good idea but in reality is a pain in the backside, we gave ours away. You shouldn't need a lot of proper hose for a service pitch, as the tap is normally close by. What comes with the standard Aquaroll 'ballcock' system is plenty. You have to unroll the whole flat hose every time you use it and water gets in between the inner and outer layers such that it makes it difficult to roll back up and soaks your shoes and trousers whilst doing so.  Definitely a 'Don't Buy'.

52 minutes ago, The road toad said:

I totally agree, flat fabric hoses are a waste of money and don't last llong. We use a hose cassette with 10m, it is compact,and lightweight.

hose.jpg

Wow - not my experience at all.  My flat hoses come on their own caddy with each nicely the length required for the average serviced pitch; are considerably easier to reel in, in that the caddy squeezes out all the water; take much less room in the van; last every bit as long - had mine for many years with no sign of wear.

Would never go back to bulky hose although I do have a length for those occasional requirements such as shared water points.

Hello Sam,

My real question is, how wide is the hose when flat? Suppliers min size seems to be 1''.  

16 minutes ago, yorkyguy said:

Hello Sam,

My real question is, how wide is the hose when flat? Suppliers min size seems to be 1''.  

Either of the below or similar will fit fine:

One or Two

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

We were away this weekend and needed to extend our water lay flat hose to reach the tap on a service pitch by connecting a  length of blue rigid hose.  How do you measure the size/diameter of the hose? Looked on the web and the smallest I can find is 1 inch. Is this the width of the hose when when flat or is it its working diameter when filled with water?  When its pinched open it measures about 15mm - what you would expect to push onto a standard garden connector. What do you buy for this job?

Cheers

What fitting is on the end of the outlet of the layflat hose you have ?

The i.d. of the average garden hose is around 12mm and though I've never had a layflat hose, those I've seen use the normal garden hose fittings, hose joiners, spray fittings and such like.

You could possibly use one of these

image.png.9c2fe6baeb53079a371558b2d733120c.png

Or one of these with a couple of jubilee clips.

image.png.737b6837f4cc80ecbd081e1499512ae9.png

33 minutes ago, SamD said:

Either of the below or similar will fit fine:

One or Two

I think the OP wants to know what he needs to connect his layflat hose to a piece of conventional hose.

Edited by Silversurf

3 minutes ago, SamD said:

@Silversurf OK good call.

Thanks, thinking again about it, depending on the end fitting on his layflat, which could be the normal one  he could use one of these

image.png.9e7512f9eba2eebb6482cc76fbfa31b6.png

And one of these for quick disconnection.

image.png.09e4435d86dfeea500c8baa0931fb4cf.png