WhoCanFixMyCar.com from Green Flag

-Jim-

I have a policy with Green Flag, and received a letter the other day from them telling me about an offer for “a free vehicle health check” -  whereby a recommended garage will give my car the once-over as regards roadworthiness, ie tyres, oil, water, bodywork, brakes, “and more”.

Has anyone taken up the offer, and if so did it seem worthwhile?  Do you think Green Flag are doing this out of the goodness of their heart, or are they on a percentage of all the work that WhoCanFixMyCar find needs doing whilst they are carrying out these checks?

Jim

There will be a money-driven objective underneath this.  The more often a workshop can connect with you the more chance there is to sell you something.  Sometimes this may be a genuine need - like an overlooked tyre, wiper blade, bulb, whatever or sometimes it will be an added-benefit offer - we notice your brakes are getting worn, would you like your air conditioning system cleaned etc.  There will almost certainly be a kick-back to Green Flag.

Posted (edited)

We also got this. Anyone looking over a car is just doing it to get some work out of you/extract money out of your wallet. When our cars go to the dealer for the MOT or a service, they always do this type of check with a video sent to you, plus an estimate for the work they recommend. Green Flag will be wanting a cut, if only to pay for all the letters sent out. Having this middle man, it could mean prices are higher.

Edited by Paul1957

Given that lots of cars have sat more or less idle in the last year, I would expect that it’s highly probable that there will be an increase in breakdowns. 
It’s probably much cheaper to pay a local garage to do a “free” health check, than to send a breakdown/ recovery vehicle. 
Any issues found (and rectified ) at the check must reduce the likelihood of future breakdowns 

Ours went straight in the recycling. 

I'm feeling more than a bit left out LOL. Not heard anything from Green Flag-& I've been with them for more than 2 decades..........

Being cynical I could almost believe it to be a scam.

1 hour ago, Scarab said:

Ours went straight in the recycling. 

Ours did too. :D

2 identical lettersm in the same post, both into recycling.

Posted (edited)

I did get the letter and am still open minded about the offer. May wait and see if others report their experience.

Had a look at the local ones. Most I do not know, but some decent garages in their.

Edited by Wildwood

Why would your car need a health check if you get it serviced on time & check oil water & tyre pressures regularly ? Any workshop doing this  health check will invariably add value by finding paid work that needs doing on the car. 

Posted (edited)

Sadly this is a sprat to catch a mackerel.

My Car went in under (W) to have the fuel pump/gauge rectified.

New pump & sender fitted, so no charge.

Whilst on the ramp they videoed  ever thing underneath and made a report. A 2 minute video was sent to me. 

My Dash Cam was on all the time, so I knew what they got up to.....

The report said, "The tyre pressures were adjusted".

Funny that, I did them the day the car went in.:rolleyes:

Apart from reporting the usual Air Con service, they couldn't find any thing else.

Edited by Razorblade

Just another along the lines of the Halford “ free check “.  Why would I want our car to go into a  garage I don’t usually use ( or probably know ) when I have the regular service done at the garage of my choice?  My letter went into the bin like many others.

• 2 weeks later...
a mechanic with whocanfixmycar I got one of these jobs the On 18/05/2021 at 14:01, -Jim- said:

I have a policy with Green Flag, and received a letter the other day from them telling me about an offer for “a free vehicle health check” -  whereby a recommended garage will give my car the once-over as regards roadworthiness, ie tyres, oil, water, bodywork, brakes, “and more”.

Has anyone taken up the offer, and if so did it seem worthwhile?  Do you think Green Flag are doing this out of the goodness of their heart, or are they on a percentage of all the work that WhoCanFixMyCar find needs doing whilst they are carrying out these checks?

Jim

As a mechanic using whocanfixmycar I got one of these bookings for today, can assure you no money changed hands in any direction. I did it for free and green flag, whocanfixmycar took nothing from me. 

checked the old boys car over and left him a report with no work needed

alan @ APDC Solutions 

The cynic in me might be that whocanfixmycar.com report back to green-flag if anything serious hasn't been rectified and then refuse to recover you/your caravan/family because you have not had an existing fault repaired/replaced-unless you can prove its been sorted else where.

I recently broke down and green-flag recovery/3rd party recovery no longer due to covid19 recover passengers. They separately supply a taxi instead-the logistics of which can be quite difficult......

On 18/05/2021 at 14:01, -Jim- said:

Jim

3 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

The cynic in me might be that whocanfixmycar.com report back to green-flag if anything serious hasn't been rectified and then refuse to recover you/your caravan/family because you have not had an existing fault repaired/replaced-unless you can prove its been sorted else where.

I recently broke down and green-flag recovery/3rd party recovery no longer due to covid19 recover passengers. They separately supply a taxi instead-the logistics of which can be quite difficult......

As above mate, no money changed hands..... I’ve never reported back to whocanfixmycar after any job let alone the green flag one I did today. 

sounds odd, but there really is no hidden costs or report I promise

al @APDC Solutions 

I bet you nay sayers don't half feel embarrassed now.

Well done Alan 👍🤣🤣