B+E test.

fred

If someone passes  their B+E test in an automatic car, does that limit them to towing with an automatic?    
This an academic question as far as I am concerned because ie passed my test in 1979 in a manual car so have B+E entitlement and secondly why would anyone want to tow with a manual?

2 minutes ago, fred said:

If someone passes  their B+E test in an automatic car, does that limit them to towing with an automatic?    

Yes, this was discussed on here a while ago with a copy of the relevant guide from the Dot Gov web site.  This showed a matrix of what you could/couldn't drive depending on what transmission your car had when the test was done.

Found it:

https://www.gov.uk/car-trailer-driving-test/car-rules

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks!

I tow with a manual because I couldn't afford to change my existing car to an automatic. I'm sure that there are many in the same position as me.

I suppose its like saying why would anyone want to tow with less stable, relatively slow SUVs, over an equivelant estate or saloon. 

Horses for courses. 

This rule is due to be changed in the near future apparently so you can pass in auto and of you had a manaul licence tow with a manual. No idea when this is due to change though.

It was supposed to be changed by now but is not

With a manual car licence you can pass any C or D category in an auto and get manual but not B+E !!

4 hours ago, R0G said:

It was supposed to be changed by now but is not

With a manual car licence you can pass any C or D category in an auto and get manual but not B+E !!

Unless you gain B+E as a side affect of having C+E like myself then you get manual BE. 

I bet there are plenty of drivers who have passed BE in an auto and are unaware they cannot drive a B+E combo in a manual but are driving the combo around illegally

I tow with a car which has a manual gearbox because that’s what I’m used to doing.  I passed my test in 1966 so I have B+E on my license.  I don’t feel compelled to drive an automatic as I feel comfortable with a manual gearbox.  I drive a 4WD VW Passat Alltrack.

John.

I took my B+E when I moved to an auto as was wasn't able to get away with being under 3500kg train anymore.

Took the test in a manual though so I have flexibility :)