Portaloo waste tanks disposal service

Then there the food hygiene and local council rules and visits to get through.

Most of the 'Greasy Spoon' type mobile food vendors that are in layby's that provide a toilet appear to be supplied by local or national Portaloo companies, these establishments tend to be semi-permanent, I don't know how the mobile ( shows etc. ) ones would go on.

Ref. waste especially food waste, I would expect the local council to be interested in how you will dispose of it, the local tip may accept it, but not in the recycling side of the tip, it would be classed as commercial waste to be disposed at the Waste Transfer Station and there is a fee for this, commercial waste isn't a free service, it is charges by weight with a minimum price and you need to wear full PPE when dropping stuff at these,

You must wear:

a hard hat

safety glasses

a high visibility jacket or vest

safety gloves

safety boots or shoes (steel-capped)

Many tips limit householders  to a limited number of visits per year and now have number plate recognition cameras to spot traders pretending to be householders and slap them with a fine.

Talking about the Portaloo, have you got one of your own ?

If so, when you mention about emptying it down a sewer, how would you manage it, bearing in mind the waste part of a Portaloo is fixed and designed to be emptied by a suction pipe and how would you get it to a sewer, then where would you get a water source to rinse out the tank and fill it with fresh water to the required level ?

11 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Then there the food hygiene and local council rules and visits to get through.

Most of the 'Greasy Spoon' type mobile food vendors that are in layby's that provide a toilet appear to be supplied by local or national Portaloo companies, these establishments tend to be semi-permanent, I don't know how the mobile ( shows etc. ) ones would go on.

Talking about the Portaloo, have you got one of your own ?

I have made a few enquiries about porterloo hire. I have to say I do not like the idea of porterloo little plastic units and I would prefer to buy a proper porter cabin block

I have know ground worker that dig holes in 6 feet deep wet and raining full on clay and there rigger boots and completely capped up in mud and refuse to use such porter loos and only use a proper block. So asking my customers the general public to use such blocks I am not so keen

, it would be classed as commercial waste to be disposed at the Waste Transfer Station and there is a fee for this, commercial waste isn't a free service, it is charges by weight with a minimum price

I remember A while ago someone telling me at the tip they charged 130 pound a tone.

If this is the case and it is indeed price per weight then I guess its good and I ant going to have that much waste

If so, when you mention about emptying it down a sewer, how would you manage it, bearing in mind the waste part of a Portaloo is fixed and designed to be emptied by a suction pipe and how would you get it to a sewer, then where would you get a water source to rinse out the tank and fill it with fresh water to the required level ?

I was actully thinking of parking over a sewer manhole cover

Posted (edited)

I understand what you want. try these ideas. if you need more email me.

Portaloo, festival toilets, thunder box or blue tardis toilets, what ever you want to call them. We use these all the time, here is how we normally use them.

Standard is to hire them with a maintenance contract. for this service we get a blue box delivered and a single weekly clean and empty, restock of loo rolls and blue hygiene dye. you allow each box to be used by so many people per week, lets say five people ,pee's and poohs for seven day is about their limit of use.

the base of the toilet is a tank which is sucked out dry, there is " no water added" the base of the tank its 100mm of blue hygiene liquid and urine fills the rest up, if you did not know the flush is urine with blue dye. There might me a hand wash sink but these struggle to meet UK CDM regs for hygiene due to unheated water to wash hands in.

I normally burn through for five men on a building site 2-3 rolls of  paper a day and two packets of  bi fold hand towels, plus liquid soap, paper towels go in a bin outside which is always falling over and blowing every where.

The fixed costs for this is roughly £50 per week per toilet. WE WOULD NEVER OWN THEM, ever to much agro cleaning, emptying and moving and storing.

to buy they cost around £350ish mark used, what you need to buy to use them is the transit van with the pump out system and tank on it, allow anywhere from £5k upwards depending on costs to buy used, to buy try plant auctions and such like. look for vacuum tankers for sale. they can cost a lot to maintain.buy your own transit flat bed or trailer and addd your own.

once you have that tanker filled with poo you are going to need a waste carriers licence from the council and a permit to tip with you local sewage plant, you say manchester in the OP, in Manchester thats Davyhulme sewage plant and united utilities, you will need to open an account, agree volumes and rates and time slots, average charge is roughly £200 per 2500l of poop. the water authority might be your next best bet, who do you pay for water and foul right now?? ask them, they might have somewhere closer. you get a key to a local sewage farm as it were and told which pipe to connect to and when to discharge. its all piped by the way, never open flow and poop every where. it will cost a lot of money for training certs, PPE, driver insurances as well as company policys and company insurances and procedures to satisfy the water authority to allow you to come on their site to discharge. want to do it cheep like farmer bill in the 1960s, forget it, quickest way to a court case and massive pollution fines.

my fingers hurt by the way!

you can tell i do this for a living!!

Next up is a temp building. here we are looking at a mobile toilet block, either on wheels or on jack legs. to hire one of these lets say 4 plus 2 ( four gents toilet bowels and two ladies toilet bowels, might have a couple of urinals too)

I paid £200 delivery and siting, no grass, must be solid stone or concrete. £100 per week hire, and you can either add a 2500l holding tank underneath or connect to the mains. 2500lis normal, we never have larger holding tanks unless you install separately a sewage system and septic tank.

to make that work you will also need water.my last site we used a water tank, 10,000litres of fresh drinking water. Tank hire and pumps plus trace heating to pipes and insulation, £350 delivery and install, trace heating and insulation was £1600 as a seperate fee. tank costs £400 per 10,000litres of water 30 men on a building site burnt through that in two weeks ( ten days roughly) the 2500l wast tanks are emptied twice a week, tuesday and thursdays and you have to check twice a day to prevent overflows of wee. i had two 2500l tanks both cost cost £150 each time to pump out and dispose of, one tank is nearer £200 a go. We hire from one firm and get them to quote the empty costs as well as trying a few our selves.but since the hire firm is based in Glasgow, my firm is based in Birmingham and my site is Dorking Surrey we both asked the same national firm based in Portsmouth to empty the loos and go the same price, dont you just love how simple my life is?

You can buy and install your own septic tank, 5,000l is roughly £3500, dug, installed, concreted, piped up and set up and running. as your doing this for trade, expect to pay for planning £450 and building regs sign off £1000.

costs to empty is roughly £200 ish a time. i would expect twice a month for 20 people per day.once a month for ten people per day.

want to save money, empty it your self. Tanker £10k, hoses and fittings £1k, insurances and waste traders permits and waste carriers tickets £2k a year, insurances, spill kits and paper work so you can even drive near the sewage farm £5k, sewage farm fees and paperwork £200 a go. yearly inspections and council visits and a million other busy bodies allow another couple of grand for fits and giggles too

as soon as you go near pooh your straight into bio hazards, waste handling,  environmental paperwork and or pollution. dealing with huge utilities firms that demand paper work and forms just so you can ask for the right forms. and a million nightmares.

hope that helps

you can discover bio toilets, dry toilets and sewage systems and reed beds and hundreds of other ideas, composting toilets and all that too.

for me, toilet waste is a simple cost, its figured into the money, allowed for and is very very easy to set up. once booked the tankers have fixed routes and set weekly days and times they land and empty the toilets. itss very simple that way

dont forget that toilets require flushing water, 10litres per pooh is what i work on

my rule of pooh is each man has two poohs and five piddles per day, one roll of  paper per man per week if not more!. urinals we use dry but allow for extra pineapple chunks to hide the smell. so allow 25 litres of water per man per day too. that produces roughly 35 litres of waste per man per day as well.

20 men will fill 2500l easily a week, and after 15men would need twice weekly pump outs, 40 men its two 2500l tanks every two days pumped out

hope that helps,

Peter the construction site manager and king of all things poohey

stop using yell everyone else has.

go to google, and try in "toilet tank pump out services"  "portable toilet cleaning services or portable toilet pump out services" NEAR ME

all will want and account to be set up and a weekly date set or a call and collect system set up

i only every use one firm no matter where i am in the uk and they will cross hire my tanks to a local firm for the same fees

google "vacuum tanker" for toilet tank lorries

in construction, we would favour a call direct to start the conversation followed with emails containing details of the request. cold emails from cold leads are not normally answered as its from spammers or novices which are hard work to deal with, Yes sorry i know thats rude to many , but its the way we see it . the call shows that you are serious

Edited by hedgerowpete

Thank you Pete. 

Sometimes we get quite constructive and useful posts 

And yours is one of the most comprehensive and complete posts answering a technical query, I have ever seen. 

My interest in pooh and wee is nil, but this post could be very useful if I did have that interest!! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

:Plus1:

My knowledge base has been added to!  I actually found Pete’s post to be rather interesting, exceedingly informative and very easy to follow! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Sad thing is that's only the beginners level starter. I have to work out flow rates, volumes over site duration and quantities so we can quantify our pooh volumes so we can work out the cheapest quickest pooh solution. I have spread sheets of pooh! lots of spread sheets!

My next site is 43 weeks long and we are installing 140m of pipe work which is under ground and will be scraped off at a cost of £3500, and save a fortune on pump outs and waste carriers . I also have to deal with men per canteen and washing up water and tea drinking water volumes.

Setting up temp accounts with water authorities and paper work.

You would be shocked at the "paperwork" involved with builders hairy bums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets also add the cost of cleaners as well, with covid we have to carry all day cleaners now. 8 hours per day five days a week to clean all hard surfaces to keep the covid germs down.

All that Tetley has to go somewhere!

11 minutes ago, hedgerowpete said:

Sad thing is that's only the beginners level starter. I have to work out flow rates, volumes over site duration and quantities so we can quantify our pooh volumes so we can work out the cheapest quickest pooh solution. I have spread sheets of pooh! lots of spread sheets!

My next site is 43 weeks long and we are installing 140m of pipe work which is under ground and will be scraped off at a cost of £3500, and save a fortune on pump outs and waste carriers . I also have to deal with men per canteen and washing up water and tea drinking water volumes.

Setting up temp accounts with water authorities and paper work.

You would be shocked at the "paperwork" involved with builders hairy bums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets also add the cost of cleaners as well, with covid we have to carry all day cleaners now. 8 hours per day five days a week to clean all hard surfaces to keep the covid germs down.

All that Tetley has to go somewhere!

Its actually refreshing, having worked in that industry briefly, to hear someone doing it properly - there are countless contractors who do nothing in this space and breach all the guidelines around CDM and workers welfare (as you likely know too well Pete!).

Mind you - sometimes there is a hammer to crack a nut and it does not always fit "all jobs".

Cheers, Martin

21 minutes ago, Martin said:

Its actually refreshing, having worked in that industry briefly, to hear someone doing it properly - there are countless contractors who do nothing in this space and breach all the guidelines around CDM and workers welfare (as you likely know too well Pete!).

Mind you - sometimes there is a hammer to crack a nut and it does not always fit "all jobs".

I have a lot of nuts on my sites! Hammers do work best on them,

4"x2" gives me splinters.

If you don't get the toilets right and clean, they destroy them within a week.

Same on camp sites as it is on building sites.